• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2017 10:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
273 upvotes

[Dell] Sony Camera Lens NEX E-mount 15% ebates - 5% dell advantage

1. sign up for dell advantage to get 5% back on a Dell ePromotional Card for all Dell.ca purchases over $100 http://www.dell.com/en-ca/learn/advantage

2. ebates currently has 10% off dell. This is on the pre-tax price so you will get cash back of $175. (But you will pay the full MSRP + tax up front) https://www.ebates.ca/coupons/dell-consumer

3. After you click through ebates, go to Accessories / Camera, Photo, & VIdeo then select Digital SLR/Mirrorless Cameras. A6500 will be there. It will say temporarily unavailable but I ordered it anyways. I received mine in a week! See below for the timeline of my order.

IIRC taxes will vary by province.

Why do I think it's hot?
If you are looking for an older model, you may still want to check out other retailer who may have better sales on older models. IMO, this deal is hot for the a6500 because it still isn't widely available at every retailer (BB, Henrys don't have regular stock in store or online for this item) and I don't see the camera going for 10% off from those stores anytime soon (and I'm expecting to get a dell epromo gift card for $87.50).

Can I use other promo/discount codes?

Since the ebates cashback is significant, I would only use promo codes that are on the ebates website. From time to time, ebates will publish coupon codes on their site and let you stack other coupon codes for eletronics or cameras on top of the cashback amount.

When does the deal expire?
I don't know when deal will expire but ebates brings back dell @ 10% from time to time. eBates doesn't always publish the end date of promos.

Order history
April 25 - Ordered from Dell
April 26 - Dell Order acknowledged
April 26 - ebates confirmation
April 27 - Dell Order confirmed
May 2 - Dell Shipment confirmation in early AM - no tracking yet
May 3 - Delivered in GTA!!
Last edited by poorwingman on May 2nd, 2017 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
63 replies
Aug 22, 2014
161 posts
278 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This is a great camera, I've been very happy with it, although you are getting into full frame pricing at this point.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1586 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Nice find! May pick up the Sony 10-18mm with eBates. Although when I open the link here on mobile I'm getting an electronics savings, but not seeing that in Chrome on my phone... any ideas how to get that discount elsewhere?

EDIT: Picked up the 10-18mm at $999.09 after -$30.90 from student discount (I think?), coming to a total of $1128.97. eBates at 10% and I believe credit card at 1% cash back, best I'll get at the moment.
Last edited by vtse on May 2nd, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
We do case reviews. Period.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
273 upvotes
vtse wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:24 am
Nice find! May pick up the Sony 10-18mm with eBates. Although when I open the link here on mobile I'm getting an electronics savings, but not seeing that in Chrome on my phone... any ideas how to get that discount elsewhere?
Makes sure you're on Canadian ebates. On ebates.ca, I see the 10% cashback for dell on my mobile and desktop chrome browsers.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1586 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:31 am
Makes sure you're on Canadian ebates. On ebates.ca, I see the 10% cashback for dell on my mobile and desktop chrome browsers.
Ah, it was a student discount that I was seeing on top of it all.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
1691 posts
341 upvotes
Personally, I use an a6300

If you dont need the inbody stabilization or the touch screen Saving 600$ is better bet.

Find lots of a6300s for 1250.
-AMD Ryzen 1800x Cpu-440$ // Asus Crosshair Vi Motherboard-280$ // Noctua DH15-80$
-Custom Core i7 Desktop - Intel Core i7 4770 8gb ram hd6870 gfx 500gb ssd &hdd ect - 900$.
Click here to check my BST post.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1586 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
westnylefx wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:01 am
Personally, I use an a6300

If you dont need the inbody stabilization or the touch screen Saving 600$ is better bet.

Find lots of a6300s for 1250.
As insignificant as this is for others, the overheating management on the 6500 is worth considering (although maybe not $600 worth to most).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9859 posts
4233 upvotes
Southern Ontario
vtse wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:24 am
I see a mint used SEL1018 you can probably grab for $900.

Anyone else new to Sony, consider those lens prices although you might already know that if you're looking at a camera at this pricepoint.
A good body needs good glass!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1779 posts
664 upvotes
GTA
Still crazy expensive for what you get. Add decent lens and yo are over $2,000 easily. Not only Sony cameras but their lenses are crazy overpriced in my opinion. Plus I find the ergonomics (grip placement) on Sony mirrorless very awkward. But maybe I'm the only one ;-)
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4608 posts
158 upvotes
vtse wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:03 am
As insignificant as this is for others, the overheating management on the 6500 is worth considering (although maybe not $600 worth to most).
If you don't really do video it's also a non-issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
1691 posts
341 upvotes
vtse wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:03 am
I have shot full weddings on the a6300, and also the fs7.
The overheating is there on the a6500 too, u get an extra 15minutes of 4k recording before the warning or if you disable the warning an extra 30mins, but when it does thermal down it will take 15-20mins to come back up

These cameras are not designed for shooting long stuff. I think they are great for Music videos, Montages, highlight reels, and other short youtube content ect

There are other tools even a Canon t2i-t6i ect which will capture a ceremony & speeches which are long enough to overheat a Sony.

Also the overheating is only in 4k video long recording, 1080p will never overheat....

If you need 4k long recording in a smallish cam. the Gh4 / Gh5 is still the goto i thnk.

Also that flip out screen for recording, also a big want

Both sonys suck in the sunny days because of that shitty plastic coating they put on the LCDs
-AMD Ryzen 1800x Cpu-440$ // Asus Crosshair Vi Motherboard-280$ // Noctua DH15-80$
-Custom Core i7 Desktop - Intel Core i7 4770 8gb ram hd6870 gfx 500gb ssd &hdd ect - 900$.
Click here to check my BST post.
Jul 13, 2006
271 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
westnylefx wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:29 am
I have shot full weddings on the a6300, and also the fs7.
The overheating is there on the a6500 too, u get an extra 15minutes of 4k recording before the warning or if you disable the warning an extra 30mins, but when it does thermal down it will take 15-20mins to come back up

These cameras are not designed for shooting long stuff. I think they are great for Music videos, Montages, highlight reels, and other short youtube content ect

There are other tools even a Canon t2i-t6i ect which will capture a ceremony & speeches which are long enough to overheat a Sony.

Also the overheating is only in 4k video long recording, 1080p will never overheat....

If you need 4k long recording in a smallish cam. the Gh4 / Gh5 is still the goto i thnk.

Also that flip out screen for recording, also a big want

Both sonys suck in the sunny days because of that shitty plastic coating they put on the LCDs
Came across this a few days ago about sensor uses for video. It is specific for 5D without a heat sink, but I think it is relevant for all cameras out there.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/ ... &year=2014

Check the comment by Lens Rental (RCicala).
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12448 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
BreadBagSeals wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:22 am
This is a great camera, I've been very happy with it, although you are getting into full frame pricing at this point.
Not full frame in such a small package, though. The primary selling point of these Sony cameras is APS-C sensors in a mirrorless footprint. That's a big deal to some.

Personally, I've had an older Sony mirrorless (Nex-5T) for a few years now, and while it's been a decent camera, I find that we still only bring around about as much as we ever did our old DSLR (our cell phone cameras are "good enough" for everything else, these days). So the small size isn't really any benefit to us, and the insane lens prices have meant that we can't really improve our lens situation any (I just cannot justify Sony's crazy prices). So for my next camera, I think I'm going back to FF in a standard DSLR body (likely back to Nikon).
Public Mobile
Nov 11, 2009
329 posts
81 upvotes
Edmonton
Heat is going to be a problem with any stacked sensor doing high data throughput, especially in a small form factor. There are better options if you want to take 4k videos too, either with FF or dedicated video cameras.

As a camera, the a6500 is amazing, especially with IBIS.