Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

VERY decent discount on Dell XPS 9560

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 10:30 am
Nov 22, 2015
74 posts
59 upvotes
Duncan, BC
Kohanz wrote: Ugh, thanks for sharing. Any tips to make the return process go as fast as possible?
Well, I've only returned 2 things to Dell. The first one was after Black Friday sales, that was an Inspiron, that went reasonably smooth, but the XPS was a nightmare. too long a story.
I followed the same process, so I guess it depends on who you get to deal with the process at the other end. Finally after 3 weeks and calls to my credit card company, Dell refunded me. They also give you a hard time if you return more than 1 item. Now I'm getting spam in my mailbox every week, as well as emails every other day.
Banned
Feb 27, 2017
58 posts
8 upvotes
I had the same problem with freezing while using Chrome. Disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome settings, problem solved. No freezing at all since doing that.
Nov 9, 2008
29 posts
9 upvotes
Dartmouth
One other tip for those having purchased this already. Early units shipped with a Samsung brand SSD that has much higher specs than current units that ship with a Toshiba SSD. If you receive a unit with a Toshiba SSD, you may have success in complaining to Dell and getting some money back.

Samsung NVMe SSDs should have 3GB/s read, and 1GB/s write. The Toshiba is about half that, although the real world impact of these numbers is very debatable.

TL;DR - complain to Dell about your 'terrible' Toshiba and you might get a coupon - I got $150.
Nov 11, 2016
40 posts
3 upvotes
lostandconfused wrote: One other tip for those having purchased this already. Early units shipped with a Samsung brand SSD that has much higher specs than current units that ship with a Toshiba SSD. If you receive a unit with a Toshiba SSD, you may have success in complaining to Dell and getting some money back.

Samsung NVMe SSDs should have 3GB/s read, and 1GB/s write. The Toshiba is about half that, although the real world impact of these numbers is very debatable.

TL;DR - complain to Dell about your 'terrible' Toshiba and you might get a coupon - I got $150.
Could you tell me what you said when you talked to them? Did you bring up that you expected a Samsung one not a Toshiba?
Nov 11, 2016
40 posts
3 upvotes
I pulled the trigger on the XPS 15 ($2299.99), subtotal came to $1831, waiting for a further 10% off with ebates and 5% Dell gift card. Hoping I get a Toshiba SSD for another $150 off!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2016
1039 posts
705 upvotes
How will the new Lenovo yoga 720 compare to the xps?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Dmbpjfan wrote: How will the new Lenovo yoga 720 compare to the xps?
There are no reviews for the Yoga, yet. But I made a quick spec out for both. If I missed anything major please let me know:
Jun 24, 2010
305 posts
84 upvotes
I bought this laptop to replace my XPS 15 from 2011. The old laptop was big, bulky, and weighed 9 pounds. But you know what? I loved that keyboard and the trackpad with dedicated physical buttons, and the speaker setup with a real subwoofer was incredible sounding. The laptop itself doesn't look anywhere as elegant as this new one though.

For the XPS 15 (9560), I got the i7/4K/512gb configuration. It's fast and the screen is beautiful, but the Toshiba drive that comes with the new ones is a total letdown compared to the Samsung the first batch came with. Its speeds are only 1/2 as much as the Samsung drive. What I don't like is that the keyboard is terrible compared to my older XPS. The key travel is both too short and the feedback is mushy and not very good. I absolutely hate typing on it. But hey, nothing is worst than the keyboards in the new Macbook Pros, so I guess it's all relative. Also, the speakers sound like ass. I mean, very shrill sounding and I hate them even after doing some custom EQ.

My primary use is for photoshop, so I wanted the 100% Adobe RGB screen, but since I already have a powerful desktop, I decided that photo editing on a laptop is not a huge need. Instead, it will just be used for movies, mobile browsing, picture viewing (not editing), and tethering to my camera for studio shoots.

As unlikely as this seems for someone with my needs, I ordered an Alienware 13r3 with the OLED display.
That laptop has the same quad core i7 and same 32gb max memory, but comes with a much better GPU, a much better screen (though smaller overall size), slots for 2x full length PCIe NVMe SSDs. Heck, it even comes with a proper keyboard and great speakers. The laptop doesn't look elegant at all compared to the XPS 15, weighs 1 pound more, and has alien heads that I don't care for. But, at the end of the day, it's both a cheaper machine and has better specs in basically all regards. I am aware that the battery life is shorter, but if I can get more than 5 hours (which appears to be possible with light loads), then it's a non-issue. Looking at the XPS 4K panel, yes, it's a nice screen. However, I still think it is overhyped because the gains with OLED are more perceptible than puting a 4K resolution into a small 15.6" screen. For example, just look at the OLED screen in the Lenovo Yoga X1 and you will no longer care for the 4K display. Anyway, both the XPS 15 and the AW 13R3 panels cover more than 100% Adobe RGB, but only the OLED will have higher contrast and less washed out colours.

I haven't decided yet, but I will have the Alienware 13r3 in a bit. One of these laptops is going back and I think it's the XPS. And I am not even a gamer.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
Loveneet0040 wrote: XPS 15 $2699 model is on sale under Days of Deals
200$ off not bad! It's just none of the coupon works anymore including the 10%OFFXPS coupon currently advertised for this specific model. I guess we can still chat with support to add them.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Jun 24, 2010
305 posts
84 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: 200$ off not bad! It's just none of the coupon works anymore including the 10%OFFXPS coupon currently advertised for this specific model. I guess we can still chat with support to add them.
Buy the next model down but upgrade the screen to 4K. This should let you apply the coupons. It will still be cheaper than buying it with the $200 off at face value because you can apply the coupons.

Also, ebates 10% expires tomorrow. 3/13 Not sure if that is end of day or not, just putting it out there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the Dell XPS 15 with 4K

this thing is beauuuuuutiful!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2016
1039 posts
705 upvotes
Has anyone had issues with a delay in getting Ebates cash back to show up? My order is scheduled to arrive by end of week and still nothing in Ebates. They said that dell hasnt sent them anything yet and could take up to 45 days.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
lostandconfused wrote: For those experiencing stuttering and lagging in Chrome, try installing these Intel drivers directly from Intel mentioned on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ ... tuttering/

This resolved the problem for me right away and allows you to keep hardware acceleration on (which will improve performance and battery life).
any other tips for my new xps?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
perpetuus wrote: I bought this laptop to replace my XPS 15 from 2011. The old laptop was big, bulky, and weighed 9 pounds. But you know what? I loved that keyboard and the trackpad with dedicated physical buttons, and the speaker setup with a real subwoofer was incredible sounding. The laptop itself doesn't look anywhere as elegant as this new one though.

For the XPS 15 (9560), I got the i7/4K/512gb configuration. It's fast and the screen is beautiful, but the Toshiba drive that comes with the new ones is a total letdown compared to the Samsung the first batch came with. Its speeds are only 1/2 as much as the Samsung drive. What I don't like is that the keyboard is terrible compared to my older XPS. The key travel is both too short and the feedback is mushy and not very good. I absolutely hate typing on it. But hey, nothing is worst than the keyboards in the new Macbook Pros, so I guess it's all relative. Also, the speakers sound like ass. I mean, very shrill sounding and I hate them even after doing some custom EQ.

My primary use is for photoshop, so I wanted the 100% Adobe RGB screen, but since I already have a powerful desktop, I decided that photo editing on a laptop is not a huge need. Instead, it will just be used for movies, mobile browsing, picture viewing (not editing), and tethering to my camera for studio shoots.

As unlikely as this seems for someone with my needs, I ordered an Alienware 13r3 with the OLED display.
That laptop has the same quad core i7 and same 32gb max memory, but comes with a much better GPU, a much better screen (though smaller overall size), slots for 2x full length PCIe NVMe SSDs. Heck, it even comes with a proper keyboard and great speakers. The laptop doesn't look elegant at all compared to the XPS 15, weighs 1 pound more, and has alien heads that I don't care for. But, at the end of the day, it's both a cheaper machine and has better specs in basically all regards. I am aware that the battery life is shorter, but if I can get more than 5 hours (which appears to be possible with light loads), then it's a non-issue. Looking at the XPS 4K panel, yes, it's a nice screen. However, I still think it is overhyped because the gains with OLED are more perceptible than puting a 4K resolution into a small 15.6" screen. For example, just look at the OLED screen in the Lenovo Yoga X1 and you will no longer care for the 4K display. Anyway, both the XPS 15 and the AW 13R3 panels cover more than 100% Adobe RGB, but only the OLED will have higher contrast and less washed out colours.

I haven't decided yet, but I will have the Alienware 13r3 in a bit. One of these laptops is going back and I think it's the XPS. And I am not even a gamer.
what did you decide?
Jun 24, 2010
305 posts
84 upvotes
ez_86 wrote: what did you decide?
The Alienware 13. It's a better computer IMO.

The XPS is great, but the speakers, trackpad, and keyboard were quite subpar. I imagine that alot of people are attracted to it because of its excellent specs and aesthetics, almost like a WIndows version of a Macbook Pro (but better IMO).

Did you replace the wireless card? Mine was cutting in and out alot, and I have a suspicion that the Alienware card will have the same issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)