• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2013 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 19, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes
It show 'No connection to the server' now, my internet is working perfectly fine. Sigh.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1313 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
will888 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 3:22 am
Oh, I should mention that google voice can work off of a PC quite easily. Well explained here.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/ ... -Gmail.htm
Hi Will888:

you are so kind and helped me sooo many times - so much appreciated.
Now, I'm checking my gmail account for google voice, but for the light of me I cannot see it. I have "chat" there, but no "voice".

Is there anything I'm missisng here (other than few billion brain cells in my 75 year old brain :) )

Many thanks.

P.S. Just found this in Google help pages: "At this time, users outside of the US cannot upgrade to a full Google Voice account and cannot receive phone calls in Gmail."
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain) Assumption is the mother of all "foul-ups" (Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995) None of us knows anything, not even whether we know anything or not (Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BC)
Sep 22, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
HAMILTON
Nigel wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 6:41 am
I always get a "fongo connection failed - Click to retry" It worked last week for about 2 days then it stopped working again.
"No connection to the sever", "port 1300 should be open", "server down" blah, blah, blah Dellvoice.

The Dellvoice / Fongo major service interruption continues. Many people are experiencing no service or no calls. This is not limited to one or two areas. Confirmed. The kicker here is their staff are more than aware of the problems, but when you try to post on their forum about it, they'll say it's your java version and lock the thread to stop any further discussion. To make it worse, guess what? If you wanna start a new post asking for help on this issue, and this is new, all your posts have to be approved by a moderator BEFORE they can go up. They are actively sqaushing discussion to prevent the stench from spreading! Personally, I have not been able to use it for over a week now, and am not alone. (PC version) Others are complaining about the mobile version.

Call customer service you say? Ha. I suspect their service numbers all forward to a guy sitting in the bathroom of a subway somewhere, no help.
I found this by googling "Dellvoice problems", lol.
Would like to hear from more people on this.

In the meantime, Icall works just fine, just not quite the same for convenience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1313 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
crashed2012 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 2:11 pm
"No connection to the sever", "port 1300 should be open", "server down" blah, blah, blah Dellvoice.

The Dellvoice / Fongo major service interruption continues. Many people are experiencing no service or no calls. This is not limited to one or two areas. Confirmed. The kicker here is their staff are more than aware of the problems, but when you try to post on their forum about it, they'll say it's your java version and lock the thread to stop any further discussion. To make it worse, guess what? If you wanna start a new post asking for help on this issue, and this is new, all your posts have to be approved by a moderator BEFORE they can go up. They are actively sqaushing discussion to prevent the stench from spreading! Personally, I have not been able to use it for over a week now, and am not alone. (PC version) Others are complaining about the mobile version.

Call customer service you say? Ha. I suspect their service numbers all forward to a guy sitting in the bathroom of a subway somewhere, no help.
I found this by googling "Dellvoice problems", lol.
Would like to hear from more people on this.

In the meantime, Icall works just fine, just not quite the same for convenience.
Very interesting. Well, at least it's free, so "beggars can't be choosers" I guess :)

george__ wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 2:14 pm
^
You can't be that old.

http://www.google.com/chat/voice/

Then you will be able to phone call with it
Oh yes, we've been using that for a while now. My wife calls overseas all the time using Google phone. She buys $10 calling credits at the time and it's absolutely flawless and cheap. I just wish Google would treat Canada a bit better than a "banana republic" and get us to receive calls also :) .
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain) Assumption is the mother of all "foul-ups" (Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995) None of us knows anything, not even whether we know anything or not (Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BC)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10664 posts
1666 upvotes
Toronto
oldpro wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 2:07 pm
Hi Will888:

you are so kind and helped me sooo many times - so much appreciated.
Now, I'm checking my gmail account for google voice, but for the light of me I cannot see it. I have "chat" there, but no "voice".

Is there anything I'm missisng here (other than few billion brain cells in my 75 year old brain :) )

Many thanks.

P.S. Just found this in Google help pages: "At this time, users outside of the US cannot upgrade to a full Google Voice account and cannot receive phone calls in Gmail."
Unfortunately, you have to be in the US to get a google voice number. They use a two step verification. First, the IP check which I suppose a VPN can serve as a workaround. Second is a phone call used to provide a two digit activation code. The call has to be to a US number. When I was in the US, I loaded up on GV numbers for the whole family. If you are ever down south, get a number before coming back or if you know of someone down south, ask for a favor. Once a number is obtained, they don't care if you are using it from Canada. Well google customers are allowed to travel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1313 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for these detailed instructions. At this point, we may just keep our Bell landline for a while longer, and use Google phone for outgoing calls for now, and see what happens,

Cheers, and thanks again.
will888 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 5:16 am
Unfortunately, you have to be in the US to get a google voice number. They use a two step verification. First, the IP check which I suppose a VPN can serve as a workaround. Second is a phone call used to provide a two digit activation code. The call has to be to a US number. When I was in the US, I loaded up on GV numbers for the whole family. If you are ever down south, get a number before coming back or if you know of someone down south, ask for a favor. Once a number is obtained, they don't care if you are using it from Canada. Well google customers are allowed to travel.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2757 posts
289 upvotes
Montreal
Why do that oldpro? Just go with Voip.ms
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1313 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
gnuman wrote:
Sep 24th, 2012 12:31 pm
Why do that oldpro? Just go with Voip.ms
Thanks for your input - much appreciated. Well, I know nothing about voip.ms, so I'll look into it. Sometimes, not easy for this old brain to get into new things :)

Thanks and cheers.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1627 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Works fine for me.
Note that it's been renamed Fongo so you may need to update the app.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3752 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Dell Voice aka Fongo aka Freephoneline is a piece of feces. I emailed the tech support and asked them why the Android app cannot receive calls (it just goes straight to voicemail) and shows a missed call. Never got a reply. This does not come to a surprise because it's a free service. Switching to voip.ms very soon.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1257 posts
229 upvotes
Oakville
Corleone187 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:14 am
but how the heck do you login online? I had 2 Dellvoice accounts and they dont work logging into Fongo
https://www.fongo.com/home-phone/login/
according to email they sent on jan 9, all account management is now accessed in app as opposed to dellvoice.ca

i havent signed into the app to check myself as i mainly use fpl and my dv number is forwarded to fpl.
× < >