Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell Wireless Touchpad

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2014 9:58 pm
Tags:
2 replies
Jul 20, 2003
230 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks for the post!

However, I just wanted to mention: buyer beware on this particular product. Here's a mini review:

I bought a pair of Dell Insprion 17 notebooks with Windows 8 for my wife and I and decided to get the Dell Wireless Touchpad to match. The notebooks are awesome but, unfortunately, the touchpads are horrible. Maybe it's an unfair comparison because I also use a Mac Mini with a Magic Trackpad, which costs double the price of the Dell, but it's also light years ahead. You get what you pay for, I guess.

First and my biggest issues with the Dell, it's just not smooth at all. I'm not talking about the surface but the performance. Again, compared to the Magic Trackpad, the Dell is very rough in its feel. If you drag your finger across the surface, your mouse will stop before you stop. It's like it looses connection or something and picks back up again. It happens constantly to the point of frustration. I don't have the same problem with the notebook's own built-in touchpad.

Second, with the Dell, it uses a Wireless RF nano dongle. Bluetooth would have much more preferable. I suspect this is really the reason why it isn't as smooth and losing connection. For all I know, my router or something else is interfering with it. Why bother having a Touchpad that's styled the same as Inspiron series but then use RF when all Inspirons have built-in Bluetooth?

Third, chances are, you're going to loss the dongle. My wife happen to lose hers so her Wireless Touchpad is garbage since the dongle is locked to the specific Touchpad. Maybe there is a way to reprogram it but it's really no big loss to us at this point.

Fourth, and maybe completely unfair but I find the gestures on Windows 8 unintuitive and half-baked. Maybe it's because I'm use to Apple's gestures and Windows 8 are different enough where it's like I have to lean/relearn them. Maybe it's different with a Windows 8 touchscreen notebook or tablet but I still prefer using a mouse on Windows 8 but perfectly happy to use a touchpad on a Mac. Anyway, please don't flame me on this point. It's more of a comment of the usability of a touchpad vs. a mouse on Windows 8 rather than a Mac vs. Windows thing.

Ultimately, you might think for $30 you can't go wrong but if you're like me, you'll use it for a short time, get frustrated and toss it into a drawer. Definitely check the Dell forums to see what others are saying.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Jul 14, 2002
644 posts
293 upvotes
Mississauga
Agreed. Using this thing when compared to an apple or Lenovo touchpad is like attempting to control your system with an etch a sketch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)