• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2010 10:33 am
Tags:
None
Jun 14, 2008
272 posts
3 upvotes

Deloitte Consulting

To everyone who's been or is currently at Deloitte consulting...

What are the hours like? Do you have to travel a lot, and to where mostly? Do you feel your work/life balance is in order? And how is the pay (please also share # of years of experience at Deloitte consulting)?

And finally, how does Deloitte consulting's reputation compare to other consulting firms, for example Accenture/BCG/Bain?
72 replies
Aug 10, 2007
882 posts
9 upvotes
You replaced McKinsey with Accenture. I'm shocked.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2008
272 posts
3 upvotes
steevee wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 5:10 pm
You replaced McKinsey with Accenture. I'm shocked.
Of course I'm aware of McKinsey. There is no doubt that McKinsey ranks at the top and has a much better reputation, hence little need to compare it to Deloitte consulting. =)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
4600 posts
3409 upvotes
engbad wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 2:08 am
To everyone who's been or is currently at Deloitte consulting...

What are the hours like? Do you have to travel a lot, and to where mostly? Do you feel your work/life balance is in order? And how is the pay (please also share # of years of experience at Deloitte consulting)?

And finally, how does Deloitte consulting's reputation compare to other consulting firms, for example Accenture/BCG/Bain?
Seriously long hours. Hubby puts in anywhere from 50-70 hours a 4 day week normally and is on full travel status. In the last 2 years he has only been home on weekends

Depending on the project it depends on where he travels. Atm he is up north and has been for the last 16 months with a week in Cali for a training seminar. He has been with the company for about 10 years now and while I wont say what his actual salary is, I can say that he is in the top pay bracket as far as consultants go, but I do know his pay is not the norm.

�I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it

Smile... It confuses people�
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8806 posts
112 upvotes
AmberMoon wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 10:37 am
Seriously long hours. Hubby puts in anywhere from 50-70 hours a 4 day week normally and is on full travel status. In the last 2 years he has only been home on weekends

Depending on the project it depends on where he travels. Atm he is up north and has been for the last 16 months with a week in Cali for a training seminar. He has been with the company for about 10 years now and while I wont say what his actual salary is, I can say that he is in the top pay bracket as far as consultants go, but I do know his pay is not the norm.
I'm guessing atleast $80-100/hr.
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1062 posts
69 upvotes
AmberMoon wrote:

I have a friend who did that for 2 years at Deloitte after he finished school. It was really hard on his wife too, since it was their first year. He would leave on Monday at 4-5am for the airport, catch a red eye on Thursday and then go to work on Friday. It's funny cuz I was talking to a colleague who also worked at Deloitte, and he was doing the same thing. (Probably the same project.) They left Deloitte for the same reason - travel.

My friend says that you see the same people every Monday morning at the airport. While everyone is SUPER ELITE Aeroplan collector, he said they were all LOSERS. (That's the strongest language I've ever heard him use.) They have little or no personal life, and are mostly single even when they were in their 50's.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2492 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
AmberMoon wrote:

Sorry, I REALLY don't mean to pry. Your post just really stuck out for me, for some reason. But how do you handle a marriage like that? Seeing him only on weekends for 2 years straight?!

I'm in my mid 20's, about to get married next year myself... in a totally unrelated industry (sciences), and just can't justify to myself that kind of work-life balance. No matter how big the paycheque. I have two friends just starting out at deloitte as well and they're pulling in amazing pay for being in their 20's as well.

From the above posters' estimation of him clearing 80-100/hr, which is VERY impressive, as that is UNHEARD of in my industry. I imagine that you can afford the finer things in life... I guess my questions would be toward someone actually working in the position... but... is it truly worth it to have all these riches and so little time to enjoy it or atleast enjoying it with your loved ones? It seems to be a real sacrafice.

I could see this being a positive thing if you really go at it for the 10 or so years as she mentioned and then be looking at early retirement (read 40's). But I just can't see someone doing this for an entire lifetime. Although I'm sure it has been done before.

... sorry, kind of talked in circles, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
4600 posts
3409 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 11:26 am
I'm guessing atleast $80-100/hr.
:arrowu:
shaolinmonk wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 11:38 am
top bracket should be more.. 80-100 is nothing for a senior consultant...
Its a bit more I will say
dealzuser wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 11:41 am
I have a friend who did that for 2 years at Deloitte after he finished school. It was really hard on his wife too, since it was their first year. He would leave on Monday at 4-5am for the airport, catch a red eye on Thursday and then go to work on Friday. It's funny cuz I was talking to a colleague who also worked at Deloitte, and he was doing the same thing. (Probably the same project.) They left Deloitte for the same reason - travel.

My friend says that you see the same people every Monday morning at the airport. While everyone is SUPER ELITE Aeroplan collector, he said they were all LOSERS. (That's the strongest language I've ever heard him use.) They have little or no personal life, and are mostly single even when they were in their 50's.
Luckily he is able to fly out on Sunday night and returns Thurs night so no early morning rush of Mondays. He is a super elite with AirCanada and we try to make sure we take complete advantage of points with our credit cards since we pay up front the cost of flights, hotel, food ect ( expensed later) which is a nice perk between Aeroplan, Marriot Hotel points, Dividend from the CC ect.

The traveling does suck and that probably will be the sole reason for leaving Deloitte in the next few years.
Repooc wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 11:54 am
Sorry, I REALLY don't mean to pry. Your post just really stuck out for me, for some reason. But how do you handle a marriage like that? Seeing him only on weekends for 2 years straight?!

I'm in my mid 20's, about to get married next year myself... in a totally unrelated industry (sciences), and just can't justify to myself that kind of work-life balance. No matter how big the paycheque. I have two friends just starting out at deloitte as well and they're pulling in amazing pay for being in their 20's as well.

From the above posters' estimation of him clearing 80-100/hr, which is VERY impressive, as that is UNHEARD of in my industry. I imagine that you can afford the finer things in life... I guess my questions would be toward someone actually working in the position... but... is it truly worth it to have all these riches and so little time to enjoy it or atleast enjoying it with your loved ones? It seems to be a real sacrafice.

I could see this being a positive thing if you really go at it for the 10 or so years as she mentioned and then be looking at early retirement (read 40's). But I just can't see someone doing this for an entire lifetime. Although I'm sure it has been done before.

... sorry, kind of talked in circles, I just can't seem to wrap my head around this.

It is quite hard for both our marriage and our social life but that is life I guess. While it sucks that he is only home on weekends its what is required at Deloitte in the last couple of years as part of being a consultant from my understandings. As it may not be mandatory per say but if you aren't able to travel you can pretty much be looking for another job.. They are outsourcing more and more with India since it only costs them say $40 a hour for a consultant in India vs it costing $200+ here ( Estimation )

Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1477 posts
53 upvotes
AmberMoon wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 12:49 pm

It is quite hard for both our marriage and our social life but that is life I guess. While it sucks that he is only home on weekends its what is required at Deloitte in the last couple of years as part of being a consultant from my understandings. As it may not be mandatory per say but if you aren't able to travel you can pretty much be looking for another job.. They are outsourcing more and more with India since it only costs them say $40 a hour for a consultant in India vs it costing $200+ here ( Estimation )
What kind of consulting that can be outsourced to India? If it can be done remotely, what is the need to fly to the client site?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
4600 posts
3409 upvotes
zero_ wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 1:00 pm
What kind of consulting that can be outsourced to India? If it can be done remotely, what is the need to fly to the client site?
Since I do not work for them I have limited knowledge but from what I understand ( When paying attention ) is that even though they outsource, the clients still require face to face contact, certain things require being on site and turn around time ( cheaper in some instances to have someone on site vs waiting for something to be corrected/created/implemented off site)

One project I remember my husband doing was for a redesign on one of the banking programs and it required him to be on site with no remote connection for security reasons among other things.

As for why Deloitte just doesn't use cheaper labor exclusively I can only assume that they use them for the every day run of the mill stuff that a Jr Associate/ fresh out of college person could accomplish for cheaper pay while the Deloitte employee's that are on site are more Senior Consultant/Managerial/Partner types ( Could be way off )

[OP]
Jun 14, 2008
272 posts
3 upvotes
What are some of the exit opportunities available to Deloitte consultants, and consultants in general? It's quite obvious that many people would burn out given the job's nature... then where can they go? Where do they usually end up?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
2134 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends on what you're consulting in - for example, if you're doing Accenture IT implementations, then chances are you're going to be stuck there whereas if you work at a strategic management firm, then you'll have a few more exit opps.

Some possible exits:
Private equity (think Bain -> Bain PE)
Running a company (could be a big one, could be a small one)
Switching to internal consulting arms of companies (IE strategy at Disney)

Again it depends on the company too. I have to bill 50 hr weeks, but it's generally frowned upon at my company to work more than that so work-life balance is possible. Travel demands also depends on the company too.
Heatware | Orthodontist Montreal
AMEX Aeroplan Gold, 30K Aeroplan (via referral), 1st Year Free vs 25K regular
AMEX Gold/Platinum, 25K FYF/60K MR after $500/$1000 spend (60K via referral vs. 50K regular)
Nov 17, 2004
744 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
FYI...you should be more specific in regards to which type of consulting you are asking questions about: IT Consulting, Strategy Consulting, HR Consulting? The answers to these questions really depend on the type of consulting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8806 posts
112 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Nov 19th, 2008 11:38 am
top bracket should be more.. 80-100 is nothing for a senior consultant...
Well, I do know the companies bill out 250-300/hr but what gets filtered down to the Employee I assumed to be less, guess it was a bad estimation, what do you think a top consultant would get paid? 150-200hr?
it's me ramin.
× < >