Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 9:11 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
have a look at the auto application, it asks 6 years, and like i mentioned in my last post if the company has a higher star rating and you are 9 years accident free, you could get that preferred rating...can't make it more clearer than that...
RobertSmalls008 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2014 3:31 pm
I will make it more clear. At fault accidents in the PAST 9 years can have an impact on your auto insurance rates, not just the past 6 years.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Nov 2, 2014
831 posts
194 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
COSMIC5 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2014 3:51 pm
have a look at the auto application, it asks 6 years, and like i mentioned in my last post if the company has a higher star rating and you are 9 years accident free, you could get that preferred rating...can't make it more clearer than that...
Great. So we can both agree that at fault accidents within the past 9 years (not just the past 6) can have an impact on your insurance rate depending on the insurance company.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19196 posts
121817 upvotes
GTA
After an accident (i.e. a minor one with no injury), when it comes to a he said/she said situation with no witnesses, aside from the damage on the actual cars themselves, what is used to determine fault, or is it typically 50/50? I know that the fault determination rules say that it will be 50/50 if the state of the traffic lights cannot be proven, but what all would be taken into consideration? Do driving records/experience come into play at all?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3044 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Mods, please merge with existing insurance thread!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
I think the thread just got off topic of Demerit Points do not affect Insurance
joepoonie wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 3:50 am
Mods, please merge with existing insurance thread!
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Jul 21, 2014
525 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Here is a question for the insurance ppl on here: Can I own 2 vehicles and have them insured with 2 totally different insurance providers?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
there is an ins thread for ins questions...
but to answer your question, yes; however, each insurer will still know about each other as you must disclose this information on the auto application and it will also be seen on the auto plus report.
Harpster007 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 9:29 am
Here is a question for the insurance ppl on here: Can I own 2 vehicles and have them insured with 2 totally different insurance providers?
Dec 15, 2006
281 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga,ON
How long the convictions will stay on my record? Is it form the date pleaed or from the date the ticket issued?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
3 years (36months) from the date of conviction.
jjzzbb wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 8:05 pm
How long the convictions will stay on my record? Is it form the date pleaed or from the date the ticket issued?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
3 years (36months) from the date of conviction.
jjzzbb wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 8:05 pm
Nov 26, 2014
44 posts
10 upvotes
EDMONTON, AB
3 years from conviction for minor/major. Suspensions stay on there for a while, not sure exactly how many years tbh. Criminal Code Convictions(DUI, etc.) are 4 years from conviction
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
in Ontario, convictions stay on for 3 years from date of conviction regardless of type, and suspensions stay for 6 years
ItsTas wrote:
Jan 12th, 2015 1:17 pm
3 years from conviction for minor/major. Suspensions stay on there for a while, not sure exactly how many years tbh. Criminal Code Convictions(DUI, etc.) are 4 years from conviction
Feb 10, 2015
1 posts
Not really demerit points related, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a simple question:

My apartment and work is about 2 hours away from my primary address. My primary address is my mom's place, and I visit usually once a month. I have my insurance set there (as well as my driver's license, billing addresses, etc), as I never intended to live in my current apartment for as long as I have. I'll still be at this apartment for the foreseeable future however. Is this an issue? Should I immediately change my address in order to avoid problems?

Thank you.

Edit: I called the insurance company a few days ago and it turns out that they just changed the roaming area so that I'm priced for the city I'm in most of the time rather than my primary address.