Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2043 posts
2646 upvotes
insurancebroker wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 10:01 pm
Ask me any insurance related questions you may have!
Which company offers the lowest insurance premium in Brampton, ON? If it helps, I am an Engineer (in case there are discounted rates for Engineers).
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
loonieryan wrote:
Feb 25th, 2015 8:30 am
Which company offers the lowest insurance premium in Brampton, ON? If it helps, I am an Engineer (in case there are discounted rates for Engineers).
It's impossible to say, since there's way too many variables to account for. You will either have to try insurance websites or ask a broker.
Mar 15, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, not sure if anybody could help me here.
I got a ticket last week just outside on Montreal while I was on vacation. I am from Ontario.
The ticket was for 135 in a 100. I keep reading online that this is a MAJOR violation and will kill my insurance rates. But if I can get it lowered to under 30km over, that it would only be a minor and might not affect my insurance.

Does anybody know what Aviva considers to be a major vs a minor offence? I need to decide ver soon if I am going to fight it with or without a lawyer. If it is minor either way, then I will just save myself the $400 and chance it myself, but iif it is a mojor, then I will pay the professionals.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
speedingfury wrote:
Mar 16th, 2015 2:28 pm
I got a ticket last week just outside on Montreal while I was on vacation. I am from Ontario.
The ticket was for 135 in a 100. I keep reading online that this is a MAJOR violation and will kill my insurance rates. But if I can get it lowered to under 30km over, that it would only be a minor and might not affect my insurance.

Does anybody know what Aviva considers to be a major vs a minor offence? I need to decide ver soon if I am going to fight it with or without a lawyer. If it is minor either way, then I will just save myself the $400 and chance it myself, but iif it is a mojor, then I will pay the professionals.

Thanks in advance.
You'd need to ask Aviva to find out, as all insurance companies use different levels of speed as the "major" determination.

BTW, in Quebec, going to traffic court is different than in Ontario. Chancing it is highly unlikely to work as the police officer does not even need to show up at trial.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7150 posts
495 upvotes
Burlington
looks like a minor conviction to me
however, you could lose your conviction free discount, if you have one

https://www.kanetix.ca/ic_auto_info_auto_articles_24
speedingfury wrote:
Mar 16th, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks in advance.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Mar 15, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
awesome thanks guys :)
Prob going to get a Lawyer anyway just to see what they can do. If there is ANY chance of having it dropped, I will take it.
Banned
Sep 19, 2014
119 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hi guys, is it an offence to have only liability insurance on a financed vehicle. if so how much of an offence is it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7150 posts
495 upvotes
Burlington
there is no conviction for this; however, you will need approval from the finance company to hold only liability coverage on the vehicle
whitemale123 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2015 7:59 pm
hi guys, is it an offence to have only liability insurance on a financed vehicle. if so how much of an offence is it?
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Dec 23, 2014
26 posts
Toronto, ON
I have a early resolution date next month to meet with my prosecutor. is it necessary to go to this? cornwall is 4 hour drive away from me. I do not want to make two trips, would I be able to request a straight trail date instead?
May 3, 2011
671 posts
87 upvotes
Are there any companies that offer only the minimum liability 200k required?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
jimmyonishi wrote:
Jun 21st, 2015 7:15 am
Most companies will offer it - the question is whether they can based on whether you're leasing or financing your car.
Nov 2, 2014
762 posts
161 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
jimmyonishi wrote:
All companies offer it, but they will try their best to talk you out of it.

Some brokers though will not do business with you if you try to insure for 200K.

The difference in price is minimal and you are cruising for a bruising with only 200K
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7150 posts
495 upvotes
Burlington
200,000 limit is the min limit in Ontario and every insurer will offer it... however, this day and age, no one seems to purchase this anymore... the difference between that and $1mil is very minimal..
not recommended taking the 200,000
jimmyonishi wrote:
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4786 posts
929 upvotes
Brampton
loonieryan wrote:
Feb 25th, 2015 8:30 am
TD.. Get ur P.Eng .. ours went down from $440 ( Car + SUV + Home ) to $363
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel