Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1268 posts
41 upvotes
I live in alberta and got my first speeding ticket. Was on cruise control when hit construction zone. 6am on stat holiday. Ffing police got a warm spot over there and fullfilled the quota in 30 mins. 4 demerits right there. First offence ever on my record. Can anyone tell how much will it affect my rates?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7184 posts
507 upvotes
Burlington
best suggestion would be to contact your company or broker... hard to guess how it will affect your rates... perhaps you'll see a slight surcharge or a conviction free discount removed...
AndrewShev wrote:
Nov 9th, 2015 8:08 pm
I live in alberta and got my first speeding ticket. Was on cruise control when hit construction zone. 6am on stat holiday. Ffing police got a warm spot over there and fullfilled the quota in 30 mins. 4 demerits right there. First offence ever on my record. Can anyone tell how much will it affect my rates?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Dec 9, 2015
1 posts
Calgary, AB
Live in Alberta and got a conflicting information. Got speeding ticket with 2 demerit points. I went to Justice of Peace before the court date and they took away my demerit point. I call my insurance and spoke with the local sales insurance agent who told me that even though I don't have demerit point, what's more important to them is whether I still have the conviction. This in line with what I read from this thread that not having a demerit point doesn't mean we don't have the conviction. The speeding ticket itself is still on our record and this is what's count according to my insurance.

However, last week I went to a local police office and they told me that it's true that even though I don't have demerit point, I still have my ticket on my record, however, those record is not accessible to the insurance. The police told me that there's no way the insurance can access the record and therefore, having no demerit point seems like 100% solving the issue. I tried to argue with the police and told him that if insurance can't access the record, how would they determine whether I'm good or bad driver (which then determine the insurance rate)? The police stand by his information and said that, that is what the police has been told and he is 100% sure that all his colleague will say the same thing.

That said, now I'm confuse. Who is right, the insurance (and the people in this thread) or the police??

Note: I have 2 speeding ticket and I am paying the other ticket voluntarily because it's out of town. So now, I have 1 ticket with no demerit point and another ticket with 2 demerit point and wondering what's my insurance premium will look like.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13646 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Had two speeding tickets one at 15 over and at 24 over, one last year and one yesterday, respectively.

Renewed my insurance today, just because my new car happened to arrive at the dealer yesterday. Insurance agent asked how many convictions and I said one. Haven't actually paid yesterday's ticket yet.

What I said is correct, in terms of legality for the insurance renewal, right?

In truth the "conviction" I was talking about was yesterday's ticket but that's not correct because I hadn't been convicted yet. However I had actually forgotten about last year's conviction so I was right about the number of convictions for the wrong reason.

Is there any reason to call them back to inform them of the impending conviction (assuming I don't fight it)?

PS. My insurance is with Primmum through TD. They haven't increased my rates in the past for a single minor conviction. Dunno about two minor convictions.
Dec 13, 2010
742 posts
193 upvotes
ON
This is a sticky.. shouldn't a mod update the first post with some of the nuggets like the below?
ticketcombat wrote:
Sep 30th, 2009 6:45 pm
So can we agree on the following?

Demerit points DON'T affect your insurance in
  • Alberta
  • Ontario
  • PEI
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
Demerit points DO affect your insurance in
  • Saskatchewan
  • Manitoba
  • Quebec
Demerit points MAY affect your insurance in
  • British Columbia
Someone else can comment on the territories.

Given the above AND that this is a national discussion board, either the title to this thread should be changed or the sticky removed.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37541 posts
7872 upvotes
Well, that post should offer complete information (cover all possibilities) or it's not going to be of much help. I can only fill in for Ontario.

For example,

Demerit points DON'T affect your insurance in (demerits only affects the driver's license record and the possibility of suspension once the threshold is reached)
Alberta
Ontario (convictions do)
PEI
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia

At least then we know if it's worthwhile heading to xcopper equivalents in other provinces if convictions are rarely reduced and talk the language.
Nov 14, 2007
344 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2015 4:51 pm
best suggestion would be to contact your company or broker... hard to guess how it will affect your rates... perhaps you'll see a slight surcharge or a conviction free discount removed...
PM sent!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7184 posts
507 upvotes
Burlington
thanks...
bkim3 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 10:38 am
PM sent!
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Jan 3, 2007
53 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I have a 60km in 40 zone reduced to 15kmph over - should I fight this in court or hire a paralegal? What are my chances of winning in the downtown Toronto court (cop no show/extended delay in court date etc)? Will my insurance find out if i have a conviction and raise the rate for 1 minor conviction? (Meloche Monnex)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7184 posts
507 upvotes
Burlington
possible the ins will pull the abstract prior to renewal if they haven't pulled one in a while...some companies will s/c for one conviction but others do not...
penguindude wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 8:16 pm
I have a 60km in 40 zone reduced to 15kmph over - should I fight this in court or hire a paralegal? What are my chances of winning in the downtown Toronto court (cop no show/extended delay in court date etc)? Will my insurance find out if i have a conviction and raise the rate for 1 minor conviction? (Meloche Monnex)
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1715 posts
157 upvotes
Does the demerits points are counted from the day you are first convicted or if you fought them in the court, the timer resets from the date you plea guilty ?
Mar 10, 2010
9 posts
Ont
nfslyl wrote:
Dec 10th, 2015 11:51 am
Live in Alberta and got a conflicting information. Got speeding ticket with 2 demerit points. I went to Justice of Peace before the court date and they took away my demerit point. I call my insurance and spoke with the local sales insurance agent who told me that even though I don't have demerit point, what's more important to them is whether I still have the conviction. This in line with what I read from this thread that not having a demerit point doesn't mean we don't have the conviction. The speeding ticket itself is still on our record and this is what's count according to my insurance.

However, last week I went to a local police office and they told me that it's true that even though I don't have demerit point, I still have my ticket on my record, however, those record is not accessible to the insurance. The police told me that there's no way the insurance can access the record and therefore, having no demerit point seems like 100% solving the issue. I tried to argue with the police and told him that if insurance can't access the record, how would they determine whether I'm good or bad driver (which then determine the insurance rate)? The police stand by his information and said that, that is what the police has been told and he is 100% sure that all his colleague will say the same thing.

That said, now I'm confuse. Who is right, the insurance (and the people in this thread) or the police??

Note: I have 2 speeding ticket and I am paying the other ticket voluntarily because it's out of town. So now, I have 1 ticket with no demerit point and another ticket with 2 demerit point and wondering what's my insurance premium will look like.
Cop's lie. Every province has this.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/dri ... stract.cfm
https://www.ontario.ca/page/uncertified-drivers-record
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/saaqclic/en/ ... ingrecord/
Banned
Mar 15, 2016
29 posts
8 upvotes
He's right. Just go to the website and see if you can download the record for $12. In Ontario, you don't even need to be the driver, anyone can download anyone's else record for $12 and you can see the past 3 years. Beyond 3 years you cannot see though, I assume only police officers can see your whole driving record.
Mar 5, 2015
42 posts
11 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Just scanning thru this thread .. quite enlightening and scary at the same time.

The scary part is ; number of convictions that affect insurance and demerit points on your license ... is really ALL based on the shifting enforcement effort for HTA. The level of enforcement activity is a varying and moving number .. it's NOT a fixed point, stick in the sand type thing.

If enforcement efforts increment by 10%, it throws all the other numbers off .... .... if enforcement level increase to 30%. lots of people would likely lose their license thru demerits and/or have very high insurance premiums.

That's a real concern, since tickets are also revenue source and for officers court appearances is extra money.

With the uptick in stunt driving and similar other new additions, the window you have to avoid higher insurance premiums, tickets and demerit points is getting a lot smaller.

That window needs a good push open.

10 years ago, the odds of someone getting 3 speeding tickets in 3 years was quite slim. Today, that can easily happen in a year. ALL that's changed is the enforcement level.

Driving is a necessity for most. Most everyone contributes to the infrastructure required. Can't ask people to contribute then take away their use of it.

Under these circumstances, people have little choice but to fight each and every ticket .... and it seems like you have to use the same passive/aggressive approach, the enforcement side are using ... keep pushing till it all breaks.

Even if you plan to pay the ticket anyway. Ask for trial, ask for disclosure, ask for officer to be present ... then show up and plead guilty or simply don't show up. Force the cost of enforcement up. That's what happens in passive/aggressive approaches ... everyone pushes until something breaks.

Seriously, I don't know what these people think the average income is in Canada ... but if you look it up ... there isn't much room for all the penalties , fines, conditions, costs being applied.

In my view, all this nonsense has simply gone too far.
Jul 25, 2011
7 posts
Toronto
"Disobey Lane Light" -- Sec. 144 (10)

Municipality of Markham, York Region, Ontario.

An officer signaled (lights + siren) that I pull over to the right shortly after I turned southbound onto Woodbine avenue from the rightmost eastbound lane of 16th avenue. He issued to me a ticket for "Disobey Lane Light" ($110 payable, no demerit points) after he claimed that I allegedly turned right at a red light without coming to a full and complete stop. He declared that the black Audi in front of my car had stopped, but my vehicle had not. However, I am certain that I came to a full and complete stop, as I was close enough to clearly read the decals on the back of the Audi, and therefore HAD to stop. I also remember looking over my left shoulder and checking for pedestrians -as usual- before proceeding with my right turn. Despite my disbelief, I did not contest the accusation, I simply accepted the ticket & continued on my way. Since I was polite (and probably because I pulled over immediately) the officer sympathized for me and explained that he"took the liberty" of reducing the ticket from a much more severe charge for 'Red Light - Failed to Stop' which carries 3 demerit points and $325 dollars. Before handing to me the ticket, he mumbled something about choosing Option #2, (Early Resolution - Meet with Prosecutor) and hopefully having the Total Payable reduced.

My philosophy with moving violations contrary to the Highway Traffic Act is to FIGHT EVERYTHING, so what is my best strategy for completely squashing this bogus charge?

Option #2: "Early Resolution - Meet with Prosecutor"? ... Is it likely that the prosecutor would withdraw the charge or at least dramatically reduce the fine?
Option #3: "Trial Option"? ... Is it likely that a traffic cop would attend to contest my plea against such a minor charge? Iis this a circumstance to be avoided?

I consider it worth my time and effort to defend my pristine driving record, and I seek the best direction / guidance to devise a successful strategy.

Many thanks.