Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 10:10 am
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1279 posts
72 upvotes
Vhjaimes wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 4:51 pm
Hi, I just have some questions regarding speeding ticket, insurance and driver's license. I live in Alberta but just got a speeding ticket in BC on highway 3A last Friday July 7th 2017. This is the first time I get an "out of province ticket". I am about to change my insurance from Economical to TD Insurance. I haven't gotten any ticket since April 2014 (that ticket was in AB), and I haven't paid this recent ticket. My first question will be:

1.-If I get my insurance policy next week (by July 18th or so) can I still get away from the insurance knowing that I just got a speeding ticket and don't hike my premium right away, at least for this year? That ticket will impact me next year when I renew the auto policy, is that right?

2.-This being an out of province ticket, do I have any chance fighting it? This will likely mean I will have to go to court in Penticton, BC. If so, is there any lawyer or defense ticket company in Alberta that might help me? Or do I need one from BC?

Has anyone have dealt with out of province tickets. Specifically, speeding ticket in BC with an Alberta driver's License?

Any comments or inputs are appreciated. Thank you all.
This assumes you`ll fight it in court/meet to reduce:

The ticket won't show up until you`re convicted. You aren't obligated to disclose this to insurance yet because you haven't been found guilty. So if you get a new policy before your conviction they won't see it until they pull your record which may not be a few years from now.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6725 posts
283 upvotes
York
I pay the basic/minimum car insurance coverage - liability only. I don't pay for anything like accident forgiveness or first at-fault accident mistake. I got a speeding ticket the other day and am wondering about the mentioned "first minor conviction removal". Do you guys pay for this monthly as part of your insurance payment? Or is this something that insurance companies just offer with your policy for free?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7375 posts
585 upvotes
Burlington
There is a premium to add this coverage to your policy if your company offers this coverage. On average its around $50 for the year.
dankup wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 6:49 pm
I pay the basic/minimum car insurance coverage - liability only. I don't pay for anything like accident forgiveness or first at-fault accident mistake. I got a speeding ticket the other day and am wondering about the mentioned "first minor conviction removal". Do you guys pay for this monthly as part of your insurance payment? Or is this something that insurance companies just offer with your policy for free?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6725 posts
283 upvotes
York
COSMIC5 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 10:43 am
There is a premium to add this coverage to your policy if your company offers this coverage. On average its around $50 for the year.
And if I don't pay for it, then I don't have that coverage
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7375 posts
585 upvotes
Burlington
yup
dankup wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 5:35 pm
And if I don't pay for it, then I don't have that coverage
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Jun 16, 2013
4 posts
Vaughan
Hi All. Thanks for providing useful information on the forum.

I got a speeding ticket yesterday for 26 over limit (76 on 50 kph). Last ticket that I got was 6 years back.

This would mean 3 demerit points according to Your text to link here...

My renewal is coming in Nov 2017. Before that in a weeks' time I need to take one car off of the insurance (as not needed to be on road). I would therefore be contacting my insurance company

What are the chances of the premium going up?

Would going for Option 2 be beneficial?

TIA
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7375 posts
585 upvotes
Burlington
depends, do you have conviction protection coverage?
does your company charge for 1 minor?
have they pulled a recent drivers abstract?

hard to answer
Zingerz wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 2:25 pm
Hi All. Thanks for providing useful information on the forum.

I got a speeding ticket yesterday for 26 over limit (76 on 50 kph). Last ticket that I got was 6 years back.

This would mean 3 demerit points according to Your text to link here...

My renewal is coming in Nov 2017. Before that in a weeks' time I need to take one car off of the insurance (as not needed to be on road). I would therefore be contacting my insurance company

What are the chances of the premium going up?

Would going for Option 2 be beneficial?

TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6725 posts
283 upvotes
York
How do I go about choosing option 2 (meeting with the prosecutor)? Mailing my ticket in? Handing it in person?
Feb 19, 2012
643 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
Out of curiosity, how much should your rates go up after a minor ticket (15 km over)? Is the number arbitrary or is it a standard amount because I really want to avoid being dinged here.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7375 posts
585 upvotes
Burlington
every company is different. Some don't charge for 1 conviction, others charge a surcharge and there are some such as Intact that have conviction protection coverage(which you need to request & add'l premium charged for it) which will forgive your oldest conviction. this is also dependant on whether or not they pull an up to date drivers abstract and see the conviction on your record.
greybrick wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 7:50 pm
Out of curiosity, how much should your rates go up after a minor ticket (15 km over)? Is the number arbitrary or is it a standard amount because I really want to avoid being dinged here.