Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 9:04 pm
Nov 28, 2006
465 posts
63 upvotes
Red light cameras should not affect your insurance rates
You're in good hands
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
they don't
tchoke wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 6:54 am
Red light cameras should not affect your insurance rates
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Jun 7, 2017
87 posts
84 upvotes
ctrueman82 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 8:09 pm
This assumes you`ll fight it in court/meet to reduce:

The ticket won't show up until you`re convicted. You aren't obligated to disclose this to insurance yet because you haven't been found guilty. So if you get a new policy before your conviction they won't see it until they pull your record which may not be a few years from now.
Problem is it was a accident and ticket for "unsafe left turn" it was my fault... Im thinking when they renew they will pull tickets for sure.
Banned
Mar 13, 2017
332 posts
60 upvotes
I am with Johnson Insurance. On average how much will my premiums increase from a 2nd speeding ticket in a 3ish year period? I got a speeding ticket, 15 over, in June of 2015 and my premiums actually decreased. I just got another now, 17 over. But I will fight it.

I suppose I'm in for an increase now. But how much on average? I know you can't give me an exact amount. Since it has been almost 3 years, will this impact anything? Or am I screwed for the next 3 years?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46764 posts
12737 upvotes
I think there was a police car on Bronte road in Oakville while I was doing 70 on a 60 and I forgot to slow down but the officer didn't seem to care, lol.

It was a unmarked vehicle but I'm 90% sure it was a police car because I saw those sirens/flashers.

Next time I should slow down to 65 just in case.
Nov 3, 2017
94 posts
10 upvotes
I got a ticket in Markham for turning left at an intersection when left turn is not allowed between 7-9am. Got fined $110 and 2 demerit points. I chose to go to trial because I thought demerit points would affect my insurance premium.

It's set for near the of this year. Going to trial I don't even know how to fight it, in fact my intention was just hoping to tell them I hardly ever drive during peak hours and so I wasn't aware of that, hoping that they will change it to 0 points, but from what I read here, saying convictions will affect insurance premiums but demerit points won't?

Now if I go to trial, if police shows up and I have to plead guilty, does that mean it's a conviction and will affect my insurance premium? So should I go to trial or not and just pay the fine now? Which is better in terms of not affecting my insurance premium?

Also, when I went to the court office last time, they said I can either choose to talk to someone there and possibly get a reduced fine plus 2 points, or choose to go to trial. Now if the advice is to just pay the fine and not go to court, do I still get a chance to get the fine reduced? By paying at court office?
Penalty Box
Oct 27, 2007
1973 posts
66 upvotes
Is there the sticky to ask questions about insurance? I am planning on calling some brokers next week. I understand it's better to just consult a broker rather than concentrating on a specific insurance company? For e.g., calling a broker over looking into Belair Direct or Sonnet or Wawanesa etc.?

I am wondering whether it matters which broker....when you google them (in the area), there seems to be a ton. :-{
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
there is a thread, yes

each Broker will deal with different companies.. they don't all have he same ones in their offices as each other..
teleguitar wrote:
May 20th, 2018 8:04 pm
Is there the sticky to ask questions about insurance? I am planning on calling some brokers next week. I understand it's better to just consult a broker rather than concentrating on a specific insurance company? For e.g., calling a broker over looking into Belair Direct or Sonnet or Wawanesa etc.?

I am wondering whether it matters which broker....when you google them (in the area), there seems to be a ton. :-{
Banned
May 27, 2018
14 posts
8 upvotes
I never knew my 30 day suspension would start on the day I surrender my DL (Drivers License). The effective date of my suspension was April 25 and was for 30 days but what I didn't know is that the 30 days would begin on the day I surrender my DL. Will they make me wait another 30 days before I can drive? The way they explain it in the letter is not very clear.

And also what's the purpose of starting the 30 days only when the DL is surrendered when the person can't drive anyways whether he kept his DL or not.
May 17, 2018
201 posts
80 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
May 20th, 2018 8:04 pm
I am planning on calling some brokers next week. I understand it's better to just consult a broker rather than concentrating on a specific insurance company? For e.g., calling a broker over looking into Belair Direct or Sonnet or Wawanesa etc.?
If you want the lowest possible rate, the best option is probably to do all of the above--get quotes from the various direct insurers and talk to at least one broker.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
1140 posts
162 upvotes
My mother-in-law got speeding ticket. She was driving 80 km/h in 50 km/h safety zone. I know, she's crazy :). She got fined $450. This was her 1st time. How many demerit points she will get and if her insurance rates will increase , if yes, by how much?
NDP for Unions, PC for people. Only PC can save Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
hard to guess how it would affect her insurance... does she have conviction protection on her insurance? All depends on the company
gibor365365 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 5:31 pm
My mother-in-law got speeding ticket. She was driving 80 km/h in 50 km/h safety zone. I know, she's crazy :). She got fined $450. This was her 1st time. How many demerit points she will get and if her insurance rates will increase , if yes, by how much?
Dec 1, 2016
108 posts
27 upvotes
Sorry for my dump question,
I got a fine 330$ for running red light caught by camera in Burlington, ON, and paid the amount, too busy to go for court although I have a good reason to fight for that.
few questions:
-There no demerit point on my licence, right?
-Is there any record on my driving history for this conviction, and do I have to declare to insurance company if they ask is there any conviction/ticket I have had when renew the insurance?
-if it is in my driving record, will my insurance affected by that?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
if you are convicted, it goes on your drivers abstract and if your insurance company charges for it, then you'll see a s/c on your policy when it renews. Technically, you are obligated to disclose any convictions you receive to them. Always disclose tickets to new companies when getting quotes.
talmcgill wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 10:16 pm
Sorry for my dump question,
I got a fine 330$ for running red light caught by camera in Burlington, ON, and paid the amount, too busy to go for court although I have a good reason to fight for that.
few questions:
-There no demerit point on my licence, right?
-Is there any record on my driving history for this conviction, and do I have to declare to insurance company if they ask is there any conviction/ticket I have had when renew the insurance?
-if it is in my driving record, will my insurance affected by that?
Nov 26, 2015
296 posts
104 upvotes
Montréal
Does anyone here know if the private auto insurance section in Quebec counts conviction or demerits? The insurance quotes always ask for convictions but I spoke with 3 lawyers who fight tickets today and they all said I shouldn't even bother fighting my ticket because it has no demerit points...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)