Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 11:13 am
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
6669 posts
3691 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 6:09 pm
Does anyone here know if the private auto insurance section in Quebec counts conviction or demerits? The insurance quotes always ask for convictions but I spoke with 3 lawyers who fight tickets today and they all said I shouldn't even bother fighting my ticket because it has no demerit points...
What is your ticket for?

C
Member
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:06 pm
What is your ticket for?

C
Yellow light ticket, $168 no demerits. They said it won’t affect insurance
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
6669 posts
3691 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:31 pm
Yellow light ticket, $168 no demerits. They said it won’t affect insurance
And it was an officer issued ticket, not a photo ticket?

C
Member
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:47 pm
And it was an officer issued ticket, not a photo ticket?

C
It was an officer issued ticket.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
6669 posts
3691 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:53 pm
It was an officer issued ticket.
Sorry, don't know about Quebec officer issued tickets... Was going to comment on most provinces not affecting your insurance if you get photo based tickets (red light or speeding).

C
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
8769 posts
1471 upvotes
Markham
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:31 pm
Yellow light ticket, $168 no demerits. They said it won’t affect insurance
AFAIK, points doesn't really mean much on insurance unless you accumulated enough to get your licensed suspended.
0 point is still a conviction, when you quote for a new rate at your renewal, you still have to answer yes on the traffic conviction.
Exception of the photo ticket, it doesn't affect insurance since the ticket issued to the car owner, they couldn't tell who was driving it. So no impact on the driver or owner's insurance.

Not sure how much impact on 1 conviction on your insurance rate in QC. When I used to live in West-Island in MTL, I only pay $60 ish per month. Once I moved to Mississauga, it jumps to $180/m same car, same person, same record.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Member
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 2:17 pm
AFAIK, points doesn't really mean much on insurance unless you accumulated enough to get your licensed suspended.
0 point is still a conviction, when you quote for a new rate at your renewal, you still have to answer yes on the traffic conviction.
Exception of the photo ticket, it doesn't affect insurance since the ticket issued to the car owner, they couldn't tell who was driving it. So no impact on the driver or owner's insurance.

Not sure how much impact on 1 conviction on your insurance rate in QC. When I used to live in West-Island in MTL, I only pay $60 ish per month. Once I moved to Mississauga, it jumps to $180/m same car, same person, same record.
Funny I can't even find a lawyer to take my case because they all said something like "you are wasting your money" "you are wrong" "sir, it WON'T affect your insurance".. After seeing the replies here I was wondering if they were also thinking it was just photo ticket instead of officer issued ticket.

It is my 3rd one, and I am worried my current company won't even renew me. If they renew me 2019 it is fine because the 2 previous speeding would be disappeared from my driving record before renewal in 2020...
Last edited by ryan10075 on Aug 7th, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
8769 posts
1471 upvotes
Markham
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:48 pm
Funny I can't even find a lawyer to take my case because they all said something like "you are wasting your money" "you are wrong" "sir, it WON'T affect your insurance".. After seeing the replies here I was wondering if they were also thinking it was just photo ticket instead of officer issued ticket.

It is my 3rd one, and I am worried my current company won't even renew me. If they renew me 2019 it is fine because the 2 previous speeding would be disappeared from my driving record 2020...
To fight a traffic ticket, you don't go find a lawyer. You should find a paralegal, unless you hit and run and the pedestrian killed from the accident, etc, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Member
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:59 pm
To fight a traffic ticket, you don't go find a lawyer. You should find a paralegal, unless you hit and run and the pedestrian killed from the accident, etc, lol
For traffic tickets in Quebec we must hire a lawyer. We can't hire paralegals. Crying Face

I was speaking on phone with the lawyers of ticket911.ca or other traffic ticket lawyers.

On Kijiji there are literally zero ads on fighting traffic ticket, compared to Toronto....
Member
Nov 26, 2015
286 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
I just spoke to another traffic lawyer in Quebec and they said tickets with zero demerit points do not appear in SAAQ driving record. Like the other lawyers they asked me if I live in Ontario (I was speaking French...) and I made it very clear it was an officer issued ticket and it is the same. Thus there is no point to contest as tickets with 0 demerit points won't appear there at all.

I would just pay it and would request driving record a month later. I would report my finding.

Top