Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 9:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7453 posts
4315 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 6:09 pm
Does anyone here know if the private auto insurance section in Quebec counts conviction or demerits? The insurance quotes always ask for convictions but I spoke with 3 lawyers who fight tickets today and they all said I shouldn't even bother fighting my ticket because it has no demerit points...
What is your ticket for?

C
Nov 26, 2015
294 posts
101 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:06 pm
What is your ticket for?

C
Yellow light ticket, $168 no demerits. They said it won’t affect insurance
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7453 posts
4315 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:31 pm
And it was an officer issued ticket, not a photo ticket?

C
Nov 26, 2015
294 posts
101 upvotes
Montréal
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:47 pm
And it was an officer issued ticket, not a photo ticket?

C
It was an officer issued ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7453 posts
4315 upvotes
Edmonton
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:53 pm
It was an officer issued ticket.
Sorry, don't know about Quebec officer issued tickets... Was going to comment on most provinces not affecting your insurance if you get photo based tickets (red light or speeding).

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9391 posts
1926 upvotes
Markham
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 1:31 pm
AFAIK, points doesn't really mean much on insurance unless you accumulated enough to get your licensed suspended.
0 point is still a conviction, when you quote for a new rate at your renewal, you still have to answer yes on the traffic conviction.
Exception of the photo ticket, it doesn't affect insurance since the ticket issued to the car owner, they couldn't tell who was driving it. So no impact on the driver or owner's insurance.

Not sure how much impact on 1 conviction on your insurance rate in QC. When I used to live in West-Island in MTL, I only pay $60 ish per month. Once I moved to Mississauga, it jumps to $180/m same car, same person, same record.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 26, 2015
294 posts
101 upvotes
Montréal
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 2:17 pm
AFAIK, points doesn't really mean much on insurance unless you accumulated enough to get your licensed suspended.
0 point is still a conviction, when you quote for a new rate at your renewal, you still have to answer yes on the traffic conviction.
Exception of the photo ticket, it doesn't affect insurance since the ticket issued to the car owner, they couldn't tell who was driving it. So no impact on the driver or owner's insurance.

Not sure how much impact on 1 conviction on your insurance rate in QC. When I used to live in West-Island in MTL, I only pay $60 ish per month. Once I moved to Mississauga, it jumps to $180/m same car, same person, same record.
Funny I can't even find a lawyer to take my case because they all said something like "you are wasting your money" "you are wrong" "sir, it WON'T affect your insurance".. After seeing the replies here I was wondering if they were also thinking it was just photo ticket instead of officer issued ticket.

It is my 3rd one, and I am worried my current company won't even renew me. If they renew me 2019 it is fine because the 2 previous speeding would be disappeared from my driving record before renewal in 2020...
Last edited by ryan10075 on Aug 7th, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9391 posts
1926 upvotes
Markham
ryan10075 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:48 pm
Funny I can't even find a lawyer to take my case because they all said something like "you are wasting your money" "you are wrong" "sir, it WON'T affect your insurance".. After seeing the replies here I was wondering if they were also thinking it was just photo ticket instead of officer issued ticket.

It is my 3rd one, and I am worried my current company won't even renew me. If they renew me 2019 it is fine because the 2 previous speeding would be disappeared from my driving record 2020...
To fight a traffic ticket, you don't go find a lawyer. You should find a paralegal, unless you hit and run and the pedestrian killed from the accident, etc, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 26, 2015
294 posts
101 upvotes
Montréal
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 3:59 pm
To fight a traffic ticket, you don't go find a lawyer. You should find a paralegal, unless you hit and run and the pedestrian killed from the accident, etc, lol
For traffic tickets in Quebec we must hire a lawyer. We can't hire paralegals. Crying Face

I was speaking on phone with the lawyers of ticket911.ca or other traffic ticket lawyers.

On Kijiji there are literally zero ads on fighting traffic ticket, compared to Toronto....
Nov 26, 2015
294 posts
101 upvotes
Montréal
I just spoke to another traffic lawyer in Quebec and they said tickets with zero demerit points do not appear in SAAQ driving record. Like the other lawyers they asked me if I live in Ontario (I was speaking French...) and I made it very clear it was an officer issued ticket and it is the same. Thus there is no point to contest as tickets with 0 demerit points won't appear there at all.

I would just pay it and would request driving record a month later. I would report my finding.

-------

Update: Driving record doesn't show the 0 point ticket.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1102 posts
142 upvotes
Can you add the conviction protector endorsement after you got a ticket but before the conviction? Is that possible or are they onto that somehow?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7960 posts
892 upvotes
Ontario
I answered this question in another feed
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 5:11 pm
Can you add the conviction protector endorsement after you got a ticket but before the conviction? Is that possible or are they onto that somehow?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Aug 20, 2018
7 posts
Hey guys
So I got my first speeding ticket..apparently I went 71 in a 50 zone..so the officer gave me a reduced ticket for 60 in a 50 zone and charged me $40..my question is are officers suppose to show you radar gun to verify accuracy? Should I put this to court?...he mentioned there's no demerit points involved..he also mentioned he makes exceptions within 20km..so if I went 70 instead of 71km i wouldn't of got a ticket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7453 posts
4315 upvotes
Edmonton
Thegreat31 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 7:20 pm
Hey guys
So I got my first speeding ticket..apparently I went 71 in a 50 zone..so the officer gave me a reduced ticket for 60 in a 50 zone and charged me $40..my question is are officers suppose to show you radar gun to verify accuracy? Should I put this to court?...he mentioned there's no demerit points involved..he also mentioned he makes exceptions within 20km..so if I went 70 instead of 71km i wouldn't of got a ticket
You don't give a location, so...

I don't think the officer is required to show you the radar gun. You'd have no way of "verifying accuracy" in any case. All you'd be able to do is see the number.

Second, in some jurisdictions, the ticket can be amended to the "correct" speed if you take it to court. So your $40 may go up if you take it to court and lose.

Third, the fact that he makes exceptions at < 70 is moot. You weren't doing < 70.

If you want to fight it, request a trial, request disclosure, and post back once you get it. With a jurisdiction (AB, ON, etc).

C
Nov 9, 2015
120 posts
18 upvotes
Durham,ON
Hi there,
Recently i had an accident (my fault) and got a red light violation ticket . Got a trail date and later got a motion letter stating that police officer won't be there. When i called them to inquire, they stated that i can come and plead guilty, so the prosecutor will give me some options ! So should I got on the trail date and plead guilty ? Or should i fight ? What are my chances or options ? Please advice.....
FYI: Location: Peterborough...