Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 9:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5011 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for this topic.

Just got first speeding ticket with 3 demerit points. I guess it will not affect insurance rates.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7481 posts
4351 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:45 pm
Thanks for this topic.

Just got first speeding ticket with 3 demerit points. I guess it will not affect insurance rates.
Why would you guess that?

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5011 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 6:20 pm
Why would you guess that?

C
Bec of the topic title? Neutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7481 posts
4351 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 7:58 pm
Bec of the topic title? Neutral Face
You might want to read the posts in the thread (including the starting one). The TL;DR version is “Demerits don’t affect insurance, convictions do”. So if you get a speeding conviction, your insurance may go up.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5011 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:16 pm
You might want to read the posts in the thread (including the starting one). The TL;DR version is “Demerits don’t affect insurance, convictions do”. So if you get a speeding conviction, your insurance may go up.

C
ok got it. i got green speeding ticket (129kph on 100kph highway (was 141, officer reduced it to 129)). so if i pay, it automatically becomes conviction, but there is no way to defend this act if i fought this ticket..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7481 posts
4351 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:22 pm
ok got it. i got green speeding ticket (129kph on 100kph highway (was 141, officer reduced it to 129)). so if i pay, it automatically becomes conviction, but there is no way to defend this act if i fought this ticket..
Go read the Ticket thread. Not just title, either. :)

If you fight the ticket, the prosecutor CAN amend the ticket up to the original 141 speed, assuming the officer noted the reduction on the ticket. That can have a significant impact to your fine.

They can only amend the ticket when the trial is about to start. So you can register to fight it, get your disclosure, try to negotiate a deal, even show up on court day and hope the cop doesn’t show up. But if you take it to the point of being the JP’s Center of attention, you may be playing an expensive game.

C
Nov 30, 2018
2 posts
I was charged with careless driving. Here is what happened - A police car had blocked two lanes of the road while the oncoming two lanes were not blocked. I thought it is a diversion so I slowed down, changed my lane to the other side and passed the police vehicle at at speed of 20 kph. As soon as I passed him, he honked and turned his siren on. Came to me and asked me for my license and other documents. I asked him what went wrong and I thought it is a diversion. He answered 'keep thinking' and went back to his car and came back with a ticket for careless driving and a fine of $490. He told me the road is closed due to an accident and I wasn't supposed to pass him. While all this was happening, there were at least 3 other vehicles who did the same thing but he simply asked them to take a u-turn because he was busy charging me. I asked him that why did you let the car behind me go to which he replied I dont know who was behind you. How should I go with this now? I will plead not guilty but I want to know a bit more?