Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 11:36 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5500 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for this topic.

Just got first speeding ticket with 3 demerit points. I guess it will not affect insurance rates.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9741 posts
6135 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:45 pm
Thanks for this topic.

Just got first speeding ticket with 3 demerit points. I guess it will not affect insurance rates.
Why would you guess that?

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5500 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 6:20 pm
Why would you guess that?

C
Bec of the topic title? Neutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9741 posts
6135 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 7:58 pm
Bec of the topic title? Neutral Face
You might want to read the posts in the thread (including the starting one). The TL;DR version is “Demerits don’t affect insurance, convictions do”. So if you get a speeding conviction, your insurance may go up.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5500 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:16 pm
You might want to read the posts in the thread (including the starting one). The TL;DR version is “Demerits don’t affect insurance, convictions do”. So if you get a speeding conviction, your insurance may go up.

C
ok got it. i got green speeding ticket (129kph on 100kph highway (was 141, officer reduced it to 129)). so if i pay, it automatically becomes conviction, but there is no way to defend this act if i fought this ticket..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9741 posts
6135 upvotes
Edmonton
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:22 pm
ok got it. i got green speeding ticket (129kph on 100kph highway (was 141, officer reduced it to 129)). so if i pay, it automatically becomes conviction, but there is no way to defend this act if i fought this ticket..
Go read the Ticket thread. Not just title, either. :)

If you fight the ticket, the prosecutor CAN amend the ticket up to the original 141 speed, assuming the officer noted the reduction on the ticket. That can have a significant impact to your fine.

They can only amend the ticket when the trial is about to start. So you can register to fight it, get your disclosure, try to negotiate a deal, even show up on court day and hope the cop doesn’t show up. But if you take it to the point of being the JP’s Center of attention, you may be playing an expensive game.

C
Nov 30, 2018
2 posts
I was charged with careless driving. Here is what happened - A police car had blocked two lanes of the road while the oncoming two lanes were not blocked. I thought it is a diversion so I slowed down, changed my lane to the other side and passed the police vehicle at at speed of 20 kph. As soon as I passed him, he honked and turned his siren on. Came to me and asked me for my license and other documents. I asked him what went wrong and I thought it is a diversion. He answered 'keep thinking' and went back to his car and came back with a ticket for careless driving and a fine of $490. He told me the road is closed due to an accident and I wasn't supposed to pass him. While all this was happening, there were at least 3 other vehicles who did the same thing but he simply asked them to take a u-turn because he was busy charging me. I asked him that why did you let the car behind me go to which he replied I dont know who was behind you. How should I go with this now? I will plead not guilty but I want to know a bit more?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1389 posts
683 upvotes
In my experience I have a very strong suspicion that auto insurers really do not stay on top of convictions
Especially if you can drag a more complicated ticket out
(Ticket written as example Sep 2016, takes a year to go through court so convicted Sep 2017, renew insurance in Oct 2017, and by time Oct 2018 insurance renewal comes around the ticket is now already 2+ years old so doesn't effect your rates)

I have had an at fault accident with 3 points in past and was surprised no noticeable increases at all (although I fought the conviction since it was total BS in my op)
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
one speeding conviction may affect your rates, depending on the insurance company.
test9251 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:45 pm
Thanks for this topic.

RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
May 8, 2017
201 posts
88 upvotes
Sorry about losting it here but I have one question about Insurance.

Should the driver license and the address you have given to car insurance should match?

If I am staying in anither city due to work...can I use the work city address for insurance without changing the address on the DL?
Jun 14, 2016
189 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
greenfury wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 4:12 pm
Sorry about losting it here but I have one question about Insurance.

Should the driver license and the address you have given to car insurance should match?

If I am staying in anither city due to work...can I use the work city address for insurance without changing the address on the DL?
Ideally they should. In this case, your insurance is aware that you are residing in another city for work and your vehicle should be rated for that territory. If they are not aware, then inform them.

Usually they won't ask about address on your DL, as long as you're not really raising any red flags, if they do ask, just explain that it's a temporary thing and not sufficient to change your address.
May 8, 2017
201 posts
88 upvotes
Hiend87 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 5:51 pm
Ideally they should. In this case, your insurance is aware that you are residing in another city for work and your vehicle should be rated for that territory. If they are not aware, then inform them.

Usually they won't ask about address on your DL, as long as you're not really raising any red flags, if they do ask, just explain that it's a temporary thing and not sufficient to change your address.
Thanks hiend87 for the reply.. I will be using the new city address for the insurance purpose as there is hugh difference in premium... I am not sure whether to change it on my DL... I did explained it to Insurance comoany..
Jun 14, 2016
189 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
greenfury wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 7:41 pm
Thanks hiend87 for the reply.. I will be using the new city address for the insurance purpose as there is hugh difference in premium... I am not sure whether to change it on my DL... I did explained it to Insurance comoany..
Well if you're moving there or will be there for a substantial while then it may be worthwhile to make the change and not raise questions in the future. Because if you move back and still use the work address for the lower premium and insurance figures it out, its a form of fraud and they have grounds to drop you. Something to think about...
Mar 20, 2019
5 posts
HELP HELP HELP HELP

Hi, I am resident of Ontario Canada. I received a ticket while speeding 90 in 65 zone in march 1st week near to court land ville, new york highway. I plead "not guilty" and sent my clean driver's abstract for last 5 years to court. I got return mail asking to appear in court in month of may to prove the charges along with address & phone number of attorney office to send documents via mail to if wish to have trail by mail. So i have sent abstract, letter of explanation via speed mail asking to kindly consider ticket as non-moving violation based on my record.

"Today i got mail (RECOMMENDED VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC DISPOSITION) stating that after considering my letter my speeding was reduced from 90 in 65 zone to 73 in 65 zone based on my driving record with amending 6 points violation to 3 points which is equal to 0 points in ONTARIO CANADA. On the back side of that letter, it says to plead guilty and accept the offer above if wish to avoid any further appearance in court and close the ticket with fine (yet to be decided).

So what are my options now to not plead guilty?? As i am 6 hours far from court, i cannot come in person. Kindly suggest please.
Jul 25, 2018
667 posts
1002 upvotes
Milton, ON
I am with TDMM and have two add-ons to my policy: Grand Touring and Accident Forgiveness. I don't ever recall approving the addition of Grand Touring to my policy, but in the case I did, I don't find the benefits useful since I have two cars, i.e. will not need a rental vehicle, if one needs repairs I can drive the other one. In terms of Accident Forgiveness, I was in an at-fault accident 3-4 years ago and see that I need to be accident-free for 6 years in order to be eligible. So my question is, am I wasting my money by having these extras, or should I keep them on? I have no idea how much more I'm paying (if at all). Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I think I know the answer but am a complete insurance noob and wanted some insight from you guys.