• Jun 19th, 2011 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
May 5, 2006
690 posts
1 upvote
Tijuana wrote:
May 13th, 2008 5:32 pm
So are you here on a visa or do you live here and just dont have citizenship yet?
Are you or your friend a visible minority? It happens to visible minorities all the time regardless of citzenship according to several friends.

Everything is very arbitary with any of these guys - there are no rules - "it totaly random" is one of their stock anwers to any questions.
Feb 27, 2009
4 posts
uk
I don't think I'd stand out. I don't think there will be a problem.
I just came across my first land border crossing in my planning. Which led me to allot of people who have had problems. This is really going to start affecting Americas tourism. I'm reconcidering before I even get there! The ques at the border alone are getting bigger and now they are sending more people to que at the embassy before they travel too which usually takes up a day. Then you have the posibillity of "a nice long talk", refusal, marks on your record!
what next :confused: Thanks for the input people.

I can't wait to visit Canada. I am still looking forward to my road trip :) I hope things change for the better.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3148 posts
341 upvotes
Windsor
profguy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2009 11:45 am
Are you or your friend a visible minority? It happens to visible minorities all the time regardless of citzenship according to several friends.

Everything is very arbitary with any of these guys - there are no rules - "it totaly random" is one of their stock anwers to any questions.
I've heard this too - I have a friend who has a nexus card, who should be allowed unhindered access across the border, but yet he gets stopped almost daily with the same questions because he fits the "profile".
Dec 16, 2006
636 posts
4 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote:
Feb 28th, 2009 11:32 pm
anyone else find it funny that the us puts more border agents on the canada-us border than the mexican-us border?

i mean we have a bigger border with the US but common, who illegal emmigrates from canada :lol:
I think people use Canada as a jump-off point for the US. There's a bit of human smuggling through Canada with the US as final destination.
STERCUS ACCIDIT :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1004 posts
27 upvotes
traveler09 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2009 9:01 pm
my question was what does happen if you get denied at a land border?
Why not just apply for a visitor visa from the US and that's it.... If not it is kind of wasting your vacation time to wait inline....
Apr 3, 2010
2 posts
vancouver
Hi,

I spent three months traveling in the US during fall 2009, and was questioned heavily at the US Border about my business in the US (traveling and visiting friends from school) and about my upcoming Olympic job in Jan 2010. I was approved entry after an officer documented my Olympic work contract, return flight details, and current bank statements in my secondary screening. (I came prepared with all of those docs! Also, I have no criminal record.)

I am currently preparing for a 3-week trip to the US to travel and visit friends again, 4 months after my return, and am worried that I will be denied this time. I am a Canadian citizen, but I don't have a job nor a lease in my name in Canada. However, I have applied to several jobs and have about 3 weeks before I hear back from them (just enough time to squeeze in this trip!). I have a return flight booked and the paystubs from my Olympic job, proving that I returned from the US in 2009 on time. I also have enough money in my bank account for the three weeks. Is this enough to be granted entry for my 3-week trip? Or do you think I will be denied?

Thanks, your advice is appreciated!
SWS
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
The US, while a border country, is most definitely a foreign country. A few months post-911, I was taking a Greyhound bus across the border to Chicago overnight to attend a concert, I was meeting up with friends and driving with them back. I am a Canadian citizen, born here, no criminal record. I was detained 7 hours at the Detroit border, and denied entry. Why? Well when I asked I was told to sit down and shut up, let me tell you it was a frightening experience. At the 7 hour detainment mark, I was called up and they said for future entry I would be required to provide proof of a Entry Waiver, and if I tried to cross without it I would be arrested on the spot. I asked again why and they said "everyone gets off the bus, not everyone gets back on". Armed guards took all 3 single travellers (myself included) and a black family to a bus which took us back to Windsor and dumped us off in the middle of the night on a street in front of the Embassy. After calling numerous agencies after the fact, I was told that the Patriot Act enabled border guards to detain and deny entry to anyone for any reason. This was 12 years ago. To get a waiver I would have to pay about $800 and get fingerprinted on both sides of the border - honestly, I can't justify the cost. So I never go to Disneyland lol Suffice to say, it could happen to you. Just because you are Canadian, does not mean the US thinks any different of you as opposed to someone from Mexico or some other country.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
never ever lie to them...never, coz they know everything guys seriously...I once drove to buffalo and was stopped for 4 hours on the border asking me some random questions...One question was like where have you traveled before, I was like I went here and there..etc etc and I forgot to mention one place, he's like what about this country, so guys tell them the truth. When you lie about stupidest thing, they will catch you and deny your entry.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10042 posts
1608 upvotes
Kingston
ever1221 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 2:20 am
never ever lie to them...never, coz they know everything guys seriously...I once drove to buffalo and was stopped for 4 hours on the border asking me some random questions...One question was like where have you traveled before, I was like I went here and there..etc etc and I forgot to mention one place, he's like what about this country, so guys tell them the truth. When you lie about stupidest thing, they will catch you and deny your entry.
My understanding is that if you are caught in a lie you can be denied entry for 5 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9270 posts
657 upvotes
Brampton
taylyn wrote:
Apr 4th, 2010 9:22 pm
The US, while a border country, is most definitely a foreign country. A few months post-911, I was taking a Greyhound bus across the border to Chicago overnight to attend a concert, I was meeting up with friends and driving with them back. I am a Canadian citizen, born here, no criminal record. I was detained 7 hours at the Detroit border, and denied entry. Why? Well when I asked I was told to sit down and shut up, let me tell you it was a frightening experience. At the 7 hour detainment mark, I was called up and they said for future entry I would be required to provide proof of a Entry Waiver, and if I tried to cross without it I would be arrested on the spot. I asked again why and they said "everyone gets off the bus, not everyone gets back on". Armed guards took all 3 single travellers (myself included) and a black family to a bus which took us back to Windsor and dumped us off in the middle of the night on a street in front of the Embassy. After calling numerous agencies after the fact, I was told that the Patriot Act enabled border guards to detain and deny entry to anyone for any reason. This was 12 years ago. To get a waiver I would have to pay about $800 and get fingerprinted on both sides of the border - honestly, I can't justify the cost. So I never go to Disneyland lol Suffice to say, it could happen to you. Just because you are Canadian, does not mean the US thinks any different of you as opposed to someone from Mexico or some other country.
I'm missing the part as to why you were denied. I understand you need an Entry Waiver if you want to travel NOW, but why were you denied in the first place? Did you have all your documents? A record?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
19 upvotes
The 6
Question! I have traveled to the US a handful of times by car and have gotten through rather swiftly. Don't really mind the questioning process as I generally tell them the truth as in where I will be staying and shopping.

But the other day I had to receive further screening at Lot 1 at the Lewiston bridge. The way into US is mostly fine, with questions like who is the car registered under, what are we doing in the US, how long we will be staying and some random questions like if I work or go to school or where I live (it is on my passport :lol :) Anyways, en route back to Canada at the border. I was asked how much I spent, if I were bringing any goods in, if I had weapons, what I did, a whole slew of questions and then a yellow slip with instructions to go to Lot 1 for further inspection. Spent a good 15 minutes there as the border agents inspected the car thorough, in which, they found nothing and let me go.

Now my question is, will that affect me for further entry into the states or Canada?
Jun 19, 2007
302 posts
26 upvotes
Halifax
Funny this thread should be revisited, I'm currently in a border town in Alberta awaiting documentation from work as I was 'denied' (they let me withdraw the application) yesterday. Figure I'll share my story since i have 2 days to kill...

I've been transferred to the US with a multi-billion dollar oil service company, and work encourages you to go down to house hunt and meet your colleagues ahead of time while the visa gets processed. I'm a university educated petroleum engineer, close to 200k in liquid assets, no criminal record, ex airforce reserve officer, full scholarships and great marks in school, and had proof of it all. I'm not exactly the picture of a typical trouble maker.

Basically contrary to all legal advice I received and the experience of coworkers, they said that going to meet your coworkers, trying to secure longterm housing or applying for work visas indicates you 'intend to work'. Despite all assurances that I would not actually be working, and tickets out of the US and back to Canada, they said the administration essentially forces them to assume the worst and assume that I will both begin work immediately and stay indefinitely(how that differs from someone on vacation I don't know. Figured it wasn't the time and place for a policy debate). I wasn't 'rejected' but they suggested I withdraw my application to enter, so that I don't have a rejection on my record which I did. I still had to be photographed and fingerprinted which I felt was a bit dehumanizing.

Now work can fast forward the visa stuff to me by Wed they said, but I'm just so taken by the arrogance and absolute assumption of the worse of people. The guards themselves were reasonable enough, and really they just perform the will of political masters so not really their fault. Huge companies (ask BP) have as much an interest in adhering to all laws because when something goes wrong its 1000 times worse then doing it right from the start so just the absolute assumption from the start of myself and the company trying to pull something, then leaving it to me to prove otherwise really took me.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
Ix2L wrote:
Apr 29th, 2010 1:10 pm
Question! I have traveled to the US a handful of times by car and have gotten through rather swiftly. Don't really mind the questioning process as I generally tell them the truth as in where I will be staying and shopping.

But the other day I had to receive further screening at Lot 1 at the Lewiston bridge. The way into US is mostly fine, with questions like who is the car registered under, what are we doing in the US, how long we will be staying and some random questions like if I work or go to school or where I live (it is on my passport :lol :) Anyways, en route back to Canada at the border. I was asked how much I spent, if I were bringing any goods in, if I had weapons, what I did, a whole slew of questions and then a yellow slip with instructions to go to Lot 1 for further inspection. Spent a good 15 minutes there as the border agents inspected the car thorough, in which, they found nothing and let me go.

Now my question is, will that affect me for further entry into the states or Canada?
No. That's called a secondary inspection/examination. That's what CBSA/US CBP do.

If you weren't arrested or fined for anything, it in no way will impact your border crossings.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4785 posts
507 upvotes
South of Ottawa
taylyn wrote:
Apr 4th, 2010 9:22 pm
This makes no sense. 9-11 was only 9 years ago. And the Patriot Act came into effect in October of that year, not 12 years ago. :?:
× < >