• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2017 6:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
46 upvotes
If you buy dental insurance then look @ Manulife. I was in the same boat too and they offer the best package. BTW, you can't just buy dental insurance here in Canada. It comes packaged with drug and eye insurance as well. And stay away from American companies like Blue Cross. They have awful insurance packages that come with some many fine print rules that make it impossible for you to get anything done.

If you are in university then you most likely have dental coverage unless you already opted out. Its valid from the start of one semester till the end of that semester so if your in university during the summer you most likely have dental coverage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6788 posts
284 upvotes
Ottawa
virgilaug wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 1:02 pm
If you buy dental insurance alone then go with Manulife. I was in the same boat too and they offer the best package. BTW, you can't just buy dental insurance here in Canada. It comes packaged with drug and eye insurance as well. And stay away from American companies like Blue Cross. They have awful insurance packages that come with some many fine print rules that make it impossible for you to get anything done.If you are in university then you most likely have dental coverage unless you already opted out. Its valid from the start of one semester till the end of that semester so if your in university during the summer you most likely have dental coverage.
Please do not spread false information without valid reasons to back it up. Blue Cross is a top provider in the health benefits sector in Canada. They have a large market share of the group benefits sector as well. Most people will use their services at some point in their careers since they are that big in the group benefits sector. The claims for your coverage will be laid out in your contract and unless it’s a fraud case you will get reimbursed.

Regarding the packaging of the benefits, based on your suggestion you CAN purchase just dental coverage through Manulife’s Flexcare option.

My advice to those that will listen is to, get an advisor to run quotes for you for your specific needs. This means getting quotes from the top providers in the country: Sunlife, Great West Life, Manulife, Blue Cross and the other smaller players. I classify RBC to be the a smaller player based on market share but last I heard they have been insanely aggressive to penetrate the big boys via pricing. So, make sure you check out RBC too. BMO has not been that aggressive yet even though it’s been a few years since they bought out AIG Canada.
Mar 28, 2012
71 posts
Scarborough
I don't have one. It's unreasonably expensive. I haven't been to the dentist since I moved to Canada. I want to get rid of my silver fillings. It should cost $300 or more in a low-cost dental facility so I might as well just get an insurance.
Feb 3, 2016
1 posts
Delta
Hi i want to know that i want to make my teeth white how much it will cost for me in bc i am from surrey
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2429 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 2:33 pm
Yeah I don't have a group plan via work place..
I have a dumb question but can you purchase "private insurance" from that dental office in specific? Meaning you are a regular and want to save etc.
Thanks, Too bad I can't thank your post.
Yes, you can definitely purchase independent health benefits - Google ..here's just a few :

http://www.greatwestlife.com/001/home/i ... insurance/

http://www.bluecross.ca/en/products/pro ... idual.html

http://www.coverme.com/products/flexcare-plans.jsp
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
2987 posts
294 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Sorry to bump this thread however I need more dental insurance. What are my options?

My work gives me only $1,000 a year(100% on cleaning and fillings plus 50% on bridgework).

My wife's insurance is $1,500 a year but thats for both of us(80% for routine and 60% for major).
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15756 posts
4462 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Yeah my insurance is garbage too.

$1500 per year but it does cover 100% of most things (except bridges, crowns, implants).

A root canal is like $1100 so one of those pretty much kills my benefits for the year.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Jul 30, 2010
951 posts
107 upvotes
I have my own group insurance (limited as well), but I found browsing services in US border towns to be pretty affordable. I had found a place in Montana that was almost half the price of the same procedures here in Calgary. As almost everything, it's probably cheaper in the US if you just go for a drive and *phone* shop around.

For reference: my FIL needs some teeth removed; here, 3 teeth for about $950 everything included. Shelby, Montana $450 US all in. The decent exchange rate makes this pretty attractive. Dental Insurance is nearly useless unless it's a group plan provided by your work place.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2311 posts
712 upvotes
Toronto
Sharks316 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:58 pm
Sorry to bump this thread however I need more dental insurance. What are my options?
1) Self insure = put some of your own money aside since 30% of dental insurance purchases goes to administration
2) Talk your employers or unions into considering a health care spending account. That way you get to choose where your benefits go.
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:03 pm
$1500 per year but it does cover 100% of most things (except bridges, crowns, implants).
A root canal is like $1100 so one of those pretty much kills my benefits for the year.
And that tooth with the root canal will eventually require a crown if you want to prevent it from fracturing. A root canal essentially kills the tooth and it becomes brittle over time. Think of a dead tree - it can stand there for years then one day a breeze comes up and it splits in half.
So see 1 & 2 above.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15756 posts
4462 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
ROYinTO wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:29 pm
1) Self insure = put some of your own money aside since 30% of dental insurance purchases goes to administration
2) Talk your employers or unions into considering a health care spending account. That way you get to choose where your benefits go.

And that tooth with the root canal will eventually require a crown if you want to prevent it from fracturing. A root canal essentially kills the tooth and it becomes brittle over time. Think of a dead tree - it can stand there for years then one day a breeze comes up and it splits in half.
So see 1 & 2 above.
Yup. I have a few chipped teeth I need to sort out due to root canals. It’s a joke.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3190 posts
512 upvotes
I inquired about private dental plan few years back and here is my experience.
For a single person, 1000 max coverage costs 1000 with max advancable of 500 in the first 6 months.
Basically, you pay the same, but have many inconviencies.

Alternatively, there are offices that can offer cash discounts.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1026 posts
778 upvotes
2 words - not worth it.

Self insure.

If you live in Toronto make a trip to Hamilton where dental fees are somewhat cheaper. Actually, my mom lives in Hamilton and I can honestly say that dentists in general are 40-50% cheaper if you "negotiate".

If you need a big work done travel to another country where dental work is much cheaper. I would usually argue against doing medical/cosmetic procedures, but teeth are not a huge liability and even in the rare case of someone messing up things, most problems will likely be fixed.
Feb 11, 2009
883 posts
154 upvotes
Tell your dentist you don't have insurance. When I was between school and my job I had no insurance. My dentist was in and out of my mouth in 10 minutes. Only cost me $90 :-)
Jan 8, 2017
115 posts
63 upvotes
I did a fairly extensive environmental scan of private dental plans available for a project at work, and they were universally trash. Limited coverage amounts, high copay %s, and expensive premiums. Almost all require you to wait 6 months for coverage as well, which I recall was generally exclusive to the dental benefits but not extended health (vision, drugs); this applies to many group plans as well of course. Many don't fully cover "complex" services like a root canal, which is insane because many/most group plans cover root canals fully.

I'm in Bc, so I looked at BC plans. The real kicker was that the service available to welfare recipients ($1k every 2 years PLUS an extra $1k for surgical services that must be done in hospital; no copays) was more generous than all but 1 private plan...

If you don't get coverage through a group plan, just pay the dentist directly. Negotiate, shop around, etc. Unless you're using a lot of services every year, you're way better off taking the money you'd spend on premiums and just paying for whatever you need as it comes up. Fillings are only about $400, so unless you get like a dozen a year, why would you want to pay $1200 a year in premiums for a 50% copay?!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1026 posts
778 upvotes
Djb990 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:03 am
Fillings are only about $400, so unless you get like a dozen a year, why would you want to pay $1200 a year in premiums for a 50% copay?!
Gulp. Is it really that much now???

Paid 2 fillings in Bangkok 35 bucks two months ago.