• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 8:19 am
Tags:
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
22 upvotes
Just be careful- Authentic dental scalers cost about $45 / piece for a good brand like Hu-Friedy- you won't want the tip to get broken off and lodged in your dog's gums.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes
I've been using one on my dogs' teeth for years. It works really well.
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
234 upvotes
TORONTO
How the hell do you guys get your dog to stay still. My 7 yr old lhasapoo hates anything other than giving him a bath. We've tried various brushes and currently using some kind of dental spray... still hates it. He's got amazing teeth but the lower fronts could use a brushing/scaling.
Apr 25, 2011
697 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
Sometimes you have to start them young. You also want to introduce them slowly.

It helps if you are in a position of power to the dog -- if you are viewed as an equal or inferior in the pack they aren't likely to listen when you're trying to make them do something they don't want.

I have brushed one of my dogs teeth since she was 6 months old, it was easy to introduce her and she lets me brush every part of her mouth.

The other I started when she was 5 years old. The five year old I took it very slow, just making sure she was ok with me touching her mouth to start with, and worked up from there. Initially I gave a treat after every secession and lots of praise. Now they both know before bed they get their teeth brushed and the older one even tries to jump up on the counter when it's her turn.

However she still isn't as good as the other dog but I get to brush the outter part of her teeth easily as well as her canines (which took a long time to build up to). I can use a scaler on her teeth as well but I mostly stick to brushing.

I use this tooth brush, which also brushes the gums. It's great since for the first year the 5 year olds gums bled when I brushed but they no longer do, so I have improved her overall oral health.
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
234 upvotes
TORONTO
Karala: I hear you on the Alpha thing. I am the alpha of our family (wife'debatable', dog & cat). I wish we had started my dog earlier in life but I didn't start living with my wife and her dog until he was about 3years old. He's was pretty naughty when he was younger. We had our run ins initially but after some time he realized I was calling the shots (I drove the car to go to the dog park, I was the one who laid down the law). He pays more attention to me than my wife, which shes sometimes jealous of.
But we will try to incorporate the brushing with treats. He's pretty obedient if a treat is involved.

McCarter: I didn't realize this stuff existed. $100 is pretty steep but the reviews appear to be positive. We're currently using a $10 version from PetSmart. I haven't checked any reviews yet but I believe it's similar but less effective?