• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2016 4:10 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 13, 2006
888 posts
72 upvotes

Dentist Fees - ODA Suggested Fee Guide

The ODA Suggested Fee Guide for General Practitioners is supposed to provide you guidelines on fees but many dentist seem to charge what they like.

So how do you haggle about fees with your dentist?

I have to replace 7 amalgam and do an additional two fillings and I am looking at a minimum of $2,000 :evil: and I don't have insurance

Examples of some ridiculously high fees
600-dental-check-up-normal-818383/
20 replies
Jan 20, 2013
161 posts
14 upvotes
You can't haggle there fees. You just have to call around to find one that will do it for closer to what you want to pay.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
daIslander wrote: You can't haggle there fees. You just have to call around to find one that will do it for closer to what you want to pay.
You can totally haggle dental fees. Why can't you? The dentist can choose to charge you less or nothing at all if he wanted to. You can negotiate other professional fees such as legal bills. They are more likely willing to negotiate if you don't have insurance.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
it will likely depend on how well you know/long you've been going to your dentist. most dentists are willing to work with you if you dont have coverage.
also, no 2 dentists are the same, the quality of work can differ quite significantly
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3836 upvotes
Nowhere
UTSC wrote: The ODA Suggested Fee Guide for General Practitioners is supposed to provide you guidelines on fees but many dentist seem to charge what they like.
Just as you wrote, they are suggested fees. They don't have to charge them. Most dentists will work with you if you don't have insurance. Talk to your dentist.
Jan 20, 2013
161 posts
14 upvotes
I have just gone threw calling different dentists about get crowns and root canals done for my husband. Every one seemed pretty cut and dry. Even with our dentist who we've been with for 8 yrs. No preferential treatment because we can't afford there rates. Im sure lots of people can't they won't give everyone a break because they can't afford it. They set there prices, everyone is different but everyone pays the same at the same dentist. Ive never heard of anyone getting a break. They will let you do a payment plan but thats all I ever heard. I don't know if I would want work done by a dentist who dosnt have enough cliental he's giving price breaks. You'd probably get what you pay for.
Aug 9, 2005
978 posts
520 upvotes
Dentists can and many do give some sort of discount if you don't have coverage, esp for required procedures (fillings, checkups).
A longtime dentist I went to refused to give me a break when I was between jobs and lost my coverage, and it turned out for the best since the one that did offer a break turned out to be a much better dentist, and I've continued going to them even when my coverage returned.

The excuse the former gave was "if we charged different rates for different people just because they didn't have coverage, that would be fraud", and yet there are many practitioners who do this.
Aug 18, 2006
76 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
My dentist offers a flat discount if you are uninsured so it's something that can be done. It may be a matter of how you approach them with the question.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Do you guys choose your dentists based on ethnicity and/or age? I've been to a few and the ones that have been in the business long tend to charge more for their experience and are not willing to budge on their price. I'm currently using one that is Asian and he likes to charge more now that I have insurance despite being a loyal patient.

I saw another one a few years ago who is a fair bit younger; in his mid 30s but my trepidation is the lack of experience.

One of my molar cracked and I can taste the filling which is rather unpleasant. I think it's amalgam. I'm not sure what to do with it. The last time I had it looked at, they said it's structure is good and worth saving. It feels like 1/3 of it is about to come out so I'm assuming the insides is all filling or most of it. Should I cap it or do I even have an option at this point?
Aug 9, 2005
978 posts
520 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Do you guys choose your dentists based on ethnicity and/or age?
I know it sounds borderline racist, but remember that CBC Marketplace special they did on dentists? A Doctor I know couldn't help but notice that, to put it diplomatically, all of the fraudulent practitioners "weren't native english speakers".

Age is a tough one. Balancing out experience with physical dexterity that degrades with age means it could go either way.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1604 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
dokechi wrote: Dentists can and many do give some sort of discount if you don't have coverage, esp for required procedures (fillings, checkups).
A longtime dentist I went to refused to give me a break when I was between jobs and lost my coverage, and it turned out for the best since the one that did offer a break turned out to be a much better dentist, and I've continued going to them even when my coverage returned.

The excuse the former gave was "if we charged different rates for different people just because they didn't have coverage, that would be fraud", and yet there are many practitioners who do this.
On the surface, he wouldn't be wrong. If he is charging a higher rate to insurance companies than none, he could appear to be milking the system.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
if you want to save money, try University of Toronto dentisry
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
hitman_24 wrote: it will likely depend on how well you know/long you've been going to your dentist. most dentists are willing to work with you if you dont have coverage.
also, no 2 dentists are the same, the quality of work can differ quite significantly
BINGO! That's the same with every practitioner in ANY field. Some are azz shats and only care about their own pocket book and wont budge. Others are more caring and feel everyone should have access and willing to give a lower price. Some have insurance prices and cash prices. For example, my dentist will charge $85 for full cleaning with a dental hygienist on cash basis. Yet maybe double or more for those with insurance/health plans. I find asian dentists are more likely to give breaks whereas non-asians will not. Same with my chiropractor. He charges me $30 full treatment (patient for almost 20 yrs) yet others for similar treatment full price $80 or more with insurance/health plan..
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Supercooled wrote: Do you guys choose your dentists based on ethnicity and/or age? I've been to a few and the ones that have been in the business long tend to charge more for their experience and are not willing to budge on their price. I'm currently using one that is Asian and he likes to charge more now that I have insurance despite being a loyal patient.
LOL, well of course... he was giving u the "cash" price before. But now you have insurance he bills the insurance rate. Why not? They ALL do that. Because they figure you're not paying for it so why not bilk the system max every time. The problem is... since every dentist is doing that all the insurance companies increases the premium the following yr. As usual shizz always flows down to the customers pocketbook.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
247 upvotes
Etobicoke
fatkinglet wrote: if you want to save money, try University of Toronto dentisry
I 2nd this, my parents go there as they do not have insurance and from what they tell me, it's a lot cheaper.

Lucky for me, when my current dentist was fairly new, I happened to be waiting outside during a building fire drill with the main dentist. He asked me where I currently go and told me if I switched, he would cover the 20% of my fees that my insurance doesn't cover (I'm covered for 80%), so for the past 6 years that's where I go. Sadly I've switched jobs since so it's not very close anymore but still worth the trek out there knowing that I'm paying nothing out of my pocket.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
Dark Phoenix wrote: On the surface, he wouldn't be wrong. If he is charging a higher rate to insurance companies than none, he could appear to be milking the system.
How is this any different than body shops. They have their shop rates but can discount to whomever they like. It's not like it's public money where each procedure is at a set price. Dentists are private and can charge as much or as little as they like, supply and demand will dictate success
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
As per RCDSO guidelines- charging different fees for patients with insurance compared to those without is insurance fraud. If the dentist offers to "cover" the 20% not covered- they are failing to collect the co-pay and this is also insurance fraud. The College currently offers a course specifically to reinforce that we MUST collect that co-payment.

We can offer discounts on a selective basis- to be brutally honest- most patient's that try to negotiate pricing with a medical professional are also the ones that tell you how to run your practice, tend to show up late or no-show and are generally a pain in the butt. Patients that have been loyal to my practice for a duration of time can expect a discount from time to time. If you call my office for a consultation and at our first meeting start haggling- then you can try the corner cutters down the street. Quality cost time and money.

If you want to get "First Choice Haircutters" pricing then be prepared for work to fail, excessive treatment planning, cheap or grey market materials to be used, corners to be cut in other ways such as sterilization. This boils down to the classic cost vs. time vs. quality triangle. you can only pick 2!!!
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7216 posts
5963 upvotes
You most certainly can haggle with your dentist. I had a root canal done - endodontist suggested Nitrous Oxide. My crappy dental plan did not cover it - so I declined - as a good will gesture the charge was waived.
Dec 16, 2009
588 posts
172 upvotes
Durham
I used to finance dental practices.

If the dentist has graduated within the last 15 - 20 years the practice has a regiment of guidelines, procedures and tools to make them as efficient as possible in generating revenue. From a dedicated practice manager to maximize the recall rate to new products like Invisalign they are focused on predictable cash flows. They have significant overhead to cover that possibly included the purchase of an existing practice.

They are for a profit medical service businesses. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you recognize that fact and use it in your decision making.

Most employee dental plan $ allowances barely cover routine care. When was the last time your plan raised its annual dollar limit? That is why your dentist has a little sign somewhere that says "why risk your oral health to insurance limits" or similar. They are looking past insurance and basic coverage or even major coverage that reimburses squat.

They are trying to re-educate the public to de-couple the old belief which is, coverage limits are adequate for care.

The dental fee schedule can change annually.

Another point is that the group insurers like their plans to renew in the latter have of the year. This saves them money on dental claims since they are settled for the coming year based on the current year guide. So if you need work done do it between your plan's renewal date and the end of the year. If you wait until the new year, the new dental fee schedule kicks in (usually with some increases) and you will be charged the new rate but your insurer is only covering at last year's fee schedule.

If you have major work or orthodontics expenses to incur be aware of scheduling them to maximize your tax deduction claim for medical expenses.

Lastly, it never hurts to ask but my anecdotal information is that dentists will be more willing to negotiate on non-insurance reimbursed major procedures.
But put yourself in their shoes as a business person. If you have a great reputation and the practice is already higly profitable what is the motivation to negotiate? Certainly not financial but maybe only as a recognition to a long-standing valued patient.

Conversely a recent graduate starting from scratch might be hungry enough to negotiate away from the fee schedule but you are getting a lower rate for someone with less experience. That may or may not make a difference in your case.
Banned
Dec 22, 2015
240 posts
54 upvotes
Private Confidential
Dentist are the biggest crooks out there. They will milk your insurance and you with their unnecessary work and ridiculous charges. They are like car body shops and tow truck drivers ripping of your car insurance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)