Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Dentist screws up

I had a root canal done a year ago and I continued to have issues since. I bought it up during each visit but nothing was said or done. So late last fall the dentist tells me I need a surgical root canal because the first one failed. He didn't tell my why, just that these things happen. So I decide I want the surgical root canal done by a endodontist. My wife calls to set up the appointment, and then he comes clean. Apparently a dental instrument broke off in the tooth and was left there, now the area is infected. He's offered to pay any amount beyond the insurance to cover the cost to repair it. Is this a fair settlement? Going to the dentist already causes me huge anxiety so it doesn't seem all that fair to me.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Consult a lawyer, might have a lawsuit here.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
If he's willing to pay for the problem to be solved it sounds fair enough. Just depends if you want to make his life miserable by lawyering up and go that route. Even then there are probably a million reasons the other side can come up with to explain the infection. Instruments break and he probably should've told you. A lot of the time broken instruments can be retrieved without much damage to the tooth. The surgical approach can work as well that is usually reserved for teeth that just can't be root canaled in the traditional way.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
He should have come clean way sooner. Did he hope that maybe it would just take care of itself? Talk about unprofessional.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
hagbard wrote: I had a root canal done a year ago and I continued to have issues since. I bought it up during each visit but nothing was said or done. So late last fall the dentist tells me I need a surgical root canal because the first one failed. He didn't tell my why, just that these things happen. So I decide I want the surgical root canal done by a endodontist. My wife calls to set up the appointment, and then he comes clean. Apparently a dental instrument broke off in the tooth and was left there, now the area is infected. He's offered to pay any amount beyond the insurance to cover the cost to repair it. Is this a fair settlement? Going to the dentist already causes me huge anxiety so it doesn't seem all that fair to me.

Grounds for a lawsuit and infractions via the RCDSO. I wouldnt let him off that easy... you experienced pain and discomfort for over a year and now he admits it?? Punitive damages point blank. Too bad this wasnt the US. You could put this dude into bankruptcy after a malpractice suit.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Apr 10, 2005
649 posts
147 upvotes
Montreal
aznnorth wrote: Grounds for a lawsuit and infractions via the RCDSO. I wouldnt let him off that easy... you experienced pain and discomfort for over a year and now he admits it?? Punitive damages point blank. Too bad this wasnt the US. You could put this dude into bankruptcy after a malpractice suit.
Yah, too bad you can't ruin this guys life over not coming clean about a normal complication that occurs from time to time. Thank god this isn't the US where people like you can ruin healthcare.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure, but my understanding about malpractice law in Canada is you can only sue for actual damage done, not for punitive damage or emotional suffering. Feel free to consult an actual lawyer, but I'm guessing the amount you would get awarded is probably less than the cost of a lawyer. It sounds like he owes you an apology and to make it right by paying to have it fixed, which is what he's doing. Get it fixed, find a new dentist and move on with your life. If you want to report him to the dental college that's an option as well.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
msb45 wrote: Yah, too bad you can't ruin this guys life over not coming clean about a normal complication that occurs from time to time. Thank god this isn't the US where people like you can ruin healthcare.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure, but my understanding about malpractice law in Canada is you can only sue for actual damage done, not for punitive damage or emotional suffering. Feel free to consult an actual lawyer, but I'm guessing the amount you would get awarded is probably less than the cost of a lawyer. It sounds like he owes you an apology and to make it right by paying to have it fixed, which is what he's doing. Get it fixed, find a new dentist and move on with your life. If you want to report him to the dental college that's an option as well.
You're mistaking me for other people's comments. I'm definitely not happy that he rushed the root canal then didn't tell me his mistake, I just think its worth more than just paying above the insurance payment. He only admitted his mistake when he knew he was going to be found out.
May 29, 2012
624 posts
256 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm sure the dentist wouldn't have even come clean if you had let him do the repair work. It sounds like he only fessed up once he found out you would be using another person to do the reapir. I bet he would have never said a thing and just cleaned up his mess if you had decided to let him do it.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
hagbard wrote: I had a root canal done a year ago and I continued to have issues since. I bought it up during each visit but nothing was said or done. So late last fall the dentist tells me I need a surgical root canal because the first one failed. He didn't tell my why, just that these things happen. So I decide I want the surgical root canal done by a endodontist. My wife calls to set up the appointment, and then he comes clean. Apparently a dental instrument broke off in the tooth and was left there, now the area is infected. He's offered to pay any amount beyond the insurance to cover the cost to repair it. Is this a fair settlement? Going to the dentist already causes me huge anxiety so it doesn't seem all that fair to me.
I would ask that he refund anything that you had paid, and anything additionally that would need to be paid at the endodontist. He won't make that mistake again. But be aware, had he told you it broke, you would still have to pay for the work he had done, then paid additionally to the endodontist to retrieve the file. The point is, he was likely embarrassed which is no excuse.

Just curious, what ethnicity is this dentist of yours?
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Consult a lawyer, might have a lawsuit here.
Exactly why doctors and dentists look at patients with disgust.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1426 posts
378 upvotes
Complications do occur. that is why there supposed to be informed consent process. But not disclosing complications is another issue. he or she should have disclosed the complications and make steps to resolve the issue.