Food & Drink

"Denuded" tenderloin, anybody know what that means?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2010 1:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes

"Denuded" tenderloin, anybody know what that means?

I bought a whole piece of tenderloin from Costco. It was labeled "denuded, side muscle removed".

I googled to find out what "denuded" but just get commercial packer's sites saying they sell such a cut.

It looks like all the fat and silverskin has been removed, is that what "denuded" means?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
I believe it means all the outside fat (like the cap) and tissue has been removed.
Here are some images of the same cut in both versions (not quite what you's find at Costco though).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes
Interesting site!! Thanks.

It seems to mean that all fat, silverskin is removed. You're just left with marbled meat.

Wonder what camel tastes like? Anybody?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Mar 19th, 2010 12:15 am
chicken?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Denuding a tenderloin is removing the side muscle and all the silverskin on the top. Its mostly fat and sinew with some meat. When we pull it off at the restaurant, its usually cooked up for staff meals. I rather denude the tenderloin myself, at least I know how much will be wasted.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Mar 19th, 2010 1:35 pm
Denuding a tenderloin is removing the side muscle and all the silverskin on the top. Its mostly fat and sinew with some meat. When we pull it off at the restaurant, its usually cooked up for staff meals. I rather denude the tenderloin myself, at least I know how much will be wasted.
You serve the trimmings for staff meals? How do you cook them?

When I trim a whole tenderloin I usually get as much meat out the trimmings as possible and then chop them to use added to ground beef.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
bonterra wrote:
Mar 19th, 2010 2:30 pm
You serve the trimmings for staff meals? How do you cook them?

When I trim a whole tenderloin I usually get as much meat out the trimmings as possible and then chop them to use added to ground beef.
Not the silverskin but the side muscle and if there are any trimmings of meat. Since its a grillhouse, we just grill it up, lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes
Just following up to say that the quality of taste, tenderness, marbling etc. was excellent, as usual from Costco beef.

There was absolutely no waste. I'd buy this cut of beef again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
I just saw this myself today at Costco... but it cost more than the already cut tenderloins!!! Usually you save a bit buying whole.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes
Yup, you pay a bit more for the fact that they are so trimmed.

When I was there last, I noticed the "denuded, side muscle removed" whole piece was most expensive, untrimmed but cut into steaks was mid price, and whole untrimmed was cheaper. Can't recall the exact per kilo prices.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16145 posts
3588 upvotes
Holy crap! I just saw this at 4packofpianos and it's $29.99 per KG.
Compared to regular Tenderloin which is $17.99 per KG.

For the $12 per KG difference you can do the work yourself.
And probably a better job of it too. The denuded ones looked TINY.

If you need help doing it, I suggest watching Good Eats "Tender is the Loin 1 and 2" for a decent primer.
Oct 1, 2007
265 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
Mar 19th, 2010 12:15 am
Camel tastes a lot like farmed venison.

I worked at a restaurant when I was younger and the head chef was given a sample by his meat supplier.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5547 posts
817 upvotes
vonfunk wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2010 1:19 pm
Camel tastes a lot like farmed venison.

I worked at a restaurant when I was younger and the head chef was given a sample by his meat supplier.
Interesting. Thanks.
× < >