• Feb 22nd, 2021 10:12 am
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2007
251 posts
75 upvotes
ontario

Dependents (StudioTax)

Hi All, I have a tax related question for 2020.

My common-law spouse and I have a 6 month old daughter that is healthy with no major medical expenses. We all live in the same household. My spouse recieves the CCB monthly.

In StudioTax 2020 I see an option for dependents. Is our daughter considered a dependent? When I add my daughter (no income & no tuition credit selected) it changes my refund by about 100 dollars and does not change my spouses refund (I'm creating linked return).

My understanding is that dependents are for children (or other family members/sponsored children) that have a disability or for separated parents. is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by tribute4 on Feb 22nd, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3187 upvotes
Ottawa
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ndant.html

Go through that questionnaire. My guess is you answer "No" to the first question, which means you aren't eligible to claim that deduction:

Q: Were you at any time in the tax year single, divorced, separated or widowed and supporting a dependant who lived with you in a home that you maintained?

The reason it only impacted one of the returns is that only one of the members of the household can claim it per eligible dependent.
Apr 7, 2007
251 posts
75 upvotes
ontario
Thanks for your reply. In that case, do children show up on either of the parents returns? I would have thought that we need to add our child somewhere but I'm assuming it's all squared away with CCB which is dependent / recalculated based on submitted returns.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3187 upvotes
Ottawa
tribute4 wrote: Thanks for your reply. In that case, do children show up on either of the parents returns? I would have thought that we need to add our child somewhere but I'm assuming it's all squared away with CCB which is dependent / recalculated based on submitted returns.
Correct, as far as I know. CCB applications are applied for outside of the tax return, typically along with birth registration, and the information is shared with CRA. The allowance to the primary parent (usually the mother) is recalculated annually based on the filed tax return.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)