• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2015 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
RCSS and Wholesale Club are both a buck.
Safeway I think is $0.25.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Costco has "free" carts, and I've seen them lodged in every nook and cranny of the parking lot.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Carts need to support credit card tap for efficiency (tap back when done for refunds) Who carries cash or pocket change these days?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
playnicee1 wrote: Which grocery store(s) is (are) charging $1?? All grocery stores I'm aware of that have the deposit system charge only a quarter deposit.
Some newer models of these carts require a loonie.

For example, Tom & Michelle's No Frills in Mississauga has the $1 carts. But Daniel's No Frills has the $0.25 carts.

BTW, for everyone else in the thread, if you do not have the right change, the customer service desk in the store will make change for you. Not a perfect system, obviously. Now I keep this coin from the Kingdom of Jordan I found (in a shopping cart) that is worth 7 cents, and it works in place of quarters.
Mars2012 wrote: Costco has "free" carts, and I've seen them lodged in every nook and cranny of the parking lot.
Well I suppose our membership fees have to go to pay for something... :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: I don't get the problem. You will get back your loonie after shopping.
Really...?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
TheRed wrote: Carts need to support credit card tap for efficiency (tap back when done for refunds) Who carries cash or pocket change these days?
More people carry cash than people that doesn't.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
TheRed wrote: Really...?
Yep! And on the other side Tim Horton doesn't give your money back after getting the coffee.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: RCSS and Wholesale Club are both a buck.
Safeway I think is $0.25.
RCSS GTA still quarter
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
I have only ever seen this in Brampton.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
iamthebest wrote: Yep! And on the other side Tim Horton doesn't give your money back after getting the coffee.
You missed the point...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you are too lazy or a jerk and don't return the cart you get the money back. This is still much better than not being able to park in certain spots or having to get out of your car to move the cart occupying a spot so you can put your car in or coming back to your car and finding a cart against your car. Think of it as a minor hassle compared to the dings that could be all over your car.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Mars2012 wrote: Around here, Sobey's, Coop and Your Independent Grocers are the only grocery stores that don't require you to stick change into a cart...and those three places are a lot more expensive than RCSS, which I suspect is the subject of your rant. I noticed since Extra Foods has switched to YIG, there are lots of carts scattered about the parking lot...there usually isn't any when people have to "pay" for the carts. ;)

What is gig? Your independent grocers like the mothem and pop stores that sell stuff on a mark up? Sobeys loblaws metro also sell at a markup but ththey supposedly offer more than a no frills shopping experience no pun intended. I don't mind a loose he'll I don't mind a rookie because I see less stray carts now. People are savages when you alallalloallowthem to be until you hit the in the wallet
The other day this Woman almost side swiped me because she was driving a Damn suv because he husband probably knew she couldn't drive for crap and prepared her for the worst case scenario. After I passed hershe was still on her duckinon cell. bush had no business being behind the wheel much less an suv.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7083 posts
5213 upvotes
I think OP's point is they just spent $250 elsewhere because they didn't have a dollar to borrow a cart.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
Considering where I reside, people always steal grocery carts to push them home and they're left on the sidewalk, front and back yards of residents, I welcome the price increases. If I go outside my apartment right now I guaranteed to find at least a dozen if not more directly outside my building. They are always stolen by the same Somali ethnic group who doesn't give a **** if the store loses money resulting in higher grocery prices for everyone else to compensate for the loss.

I would vote to bump it to a toonie if I could for the stores to stop having their carts stolen. You guys wouldn't believe how bad it is in Ottawa with cart theft.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Cheap Cat wrote: Now that's the RFD way of thinking. Of course, a true RFDer would go to the store that only charges a quarter for the cart. Apparently they are also a cheap baby stroller. I saw a neighbour in their garage rocking their kid to sleep in a shopping cart.
Nah. A true RFD would make money on the quarter carts. I see a cart abandoned in the Freshco parking lot, use it for groceries and return it for the quarter. ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Might as well boycott alcohol while we're at it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
With the buying power of a quarter being less and less - the inducement for the lazy to return their carts was diminishing - hence the increase to a dollar deposit.
For those of us in the GTA - Knob Hill Farms way back when had a $1 deposit on carts.
One alternative for the lazy... I spotted and returned a 25 cent cart I found in the parking lot - the use of a metal washer the same size as the coin.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
TheRed wrote: Carts need to support credit card tap for efficiency (tap back when done for refunds) Who carries cash or pocket change these days?
No! No! Why put up the price of groceries to pay for that technology.

Tim Hortons already has that installed. OP can tap tap at Timmies and save the loonie for the RCSS.