Personal Finance

Depositing a cheque with two names on it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2015 3:20 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 25, 2009
378 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Depositing a cheque with two names on it?

I received a check made out to "James & Jennifer Olsen" (not my real names, btw). I'm James Olsen. Can I still deposit it into my bank account, or only a joint account?
19 replies
Dec 15, 2005
224 posts
21 upvotes
since it's James AND Jennifer, it has to go into a joint account

if it's James OR Jennifer, then it can go into any one account

however if you take it to a teller, they may not check into too detail, so it may slip through..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15326 posts
560 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ct809 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2010 10:01 pm
since it's James AND Jennifer, it has to go into a joint account

if it's James OR Jennifer, then it can go into any one account

however if you take it to a teller, they may not check into too detail, so it may slip through..

This is in-correct in my experience. When I got married the wife and I received multiple cheques with Richard and Melissa Donnelly. I had no issues depositing the money my own account.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
Dec 15, 2005
224 posts
21 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 11th, 2010 10:08 pm
This is in-correct in my experience. When I got married the wife and I received multiple cheques with Richard and Melissa Donnelly. I had no issues depositing the money my own account.

like i said, depends on how closely the teller follows the rules

I used to work at the bank so I know for sure that's the rules, but it depends if the CSR really wants to stick to the rules and enforce it
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15326 posts
560 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ct809 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2010 10:46 pm
like i said, depends on how closely the teller follows the rules

I used to work at the bank so I know for sure that's the rules, but it depends if the CSR really wants to stick to the rules and enforce it

I deposited between 10 and 20 of them, although they were all via the ATM since I'm with PCF.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
May 5, 2008
361 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary
Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 11th, 2010 11:15 pm
I deposited between 10 and 20 of them, although they were all via the ATM since I'm with PCF.

There's your answer. The processing centre has so many cheques to go through, they don't have time to check the name on every single one. Yours were some lucky ones that slipped through.
At the teller, they will probably be caught. CT809 is correct.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2822 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
proper rules:
deposit into a joint account OR
have both parties show up at the teller, produce ID, and endorse each cheque in front of the teller, and finally deposit into individual account.

or just ATM it and all rules go out the door.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Jun 6, 2009
738 posts
102 upvotes
Montréal
You can deposit a cheque made to Mr. Pee Wee.

They don't check.
Apr 25, 2008
148 posts
4 upvotes
I'd say that they don't always check, but the bigger the cheque, the worse than chance of depositing it.

I brought in 3 checks a few months back, all made out to me and my wife. The 60 and 200 dollar cheques they just deposited after i said she was my wife. The 10k cheque they refused to take without her there to endorse it - which is fine by me!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12804 posts
3678 upvotes
Before we got married we asked the customer service people at the bank how to deposit the cheques we would receive, and we were told as long as it was deposited to an account with one of the names on it we'd be fine.
Jul 27, 2009
116 posts
51 upvotes
urameatball wrote:
Oct 12th, 2010 12:31 am
have both parties show up at the teller, produce ID, and endorse each cheque in front of the teller, and finally deposit into individual account.

Banks don't accept double endorsed cheques.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1745 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
akarimov wrote:
Oct 12th, 2010 12:18 pm
Banks don't accept double endorsed cheques.

True...but "double endorsed" meaning Mr. A endorsed to Mr. B which in turn endorsed to Mr. C

In this scenario you have a husband and wife...only one of them really needs to endorse to the other.

Depending on amount of cheque, standing with the bank, and other accts (eg. you have a personal chequing but you and wife have a joint savings as well for example) the clerk should be able to use discretion...
Contact
E-Mail|Call Me
Heat|e-Bay|RFD

TheVideoConverter: Pal to Ntsc and Vhs to Dvd
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
I deposit cheques made out to my husband into my account at a CIBC atm all the time (we have different last names). I don't know the policies at all banks, but I was told by someone at CIBC that there are rules for items being deposited into the ATM and the name would not be verified unless the cheque was over a certain amount (don't remember the number, but it was very high). It of course would be looked into if fraud was reported thought.

I've done this for years and never had an issue once.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
2922 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver
sillysimms wrote:
Oct 15th, 2010 12:39 am
I deposit cheques made out to my husband into my account at a CIBC atm all the time (we have different last names). I don't know the policies at all banks, but I was told by someone at CIBC that there are rules for items being deposited into the ATM and the name would not be verified unless the cheque was over a certain amount (don't remember the number, but it was very high). It of course would be looked into if fraud was reported thought.

I've done this for years and never had an issue once.

i think thats $100k
× < >