Dermatologists

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2007 3:36 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2005
672 posts

Dermatologists

my skin is not that bad but i want ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS LOVELY SKIN with an EVEN TONE.

should i go to a dermatologist or im i being too superficial

question: do i have to pay a dermatologist?

can anyone refer me to one in toronto? do i need to be referd by my doctor or i just go in one?

I KNOW I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS BUT PARDON ME :cheesygri
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1102 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know but is this in the wrong forum? :?:
Apr 12, 2006
414 posts
96 upvotes
I think most dermatologists visits are covered by ohip and if u wanted to go see dermatologist, what i did was just go to my family doctors and he refered me to one.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2893 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
fabz wrote: my skin is not that bad but i want ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS LOVELY SKIN with an EVEN TONE.

can anyone refer me to one in toronto? do i need to be referd by my doctor or i just go in one?

maybe my thread might help you...
try some products first..
RBK wrote: I don't know but is this in the wrong forum? :?:
no it is not the wrong forum.
Mar 9, 2004
351 posts
3 upvotes
Ugh I don't like dermatologists. Most of the people there have some sort of skin disease not because they want smooth skin. Also I didn't find the dermatologist I was refered to useful. The military doctor I saw helped me more than her. Also she didn't give me a perscription so I had to pay for the creams while the military base even went out and bought it for me the next day.
Jul 31, 2006
33 posts
if you have acne, 10 bucks says they're going to prescribe you some antibiotics. Every person I know that has acne and went to a dermatologist about it, recieved antibiolotics (as did I). Yeah, I agree with the above. See your family doctor and they'll refer you.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
fabz wrote: my skin is not that bad but i want ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS LOVELY SKIN with an EVEN TONE.

Try to find a dermatologist that specializes more in cosmetic dermatology. Your visit to a dermatologist will be covered by OHIP but any cosmetic procedures they do on you won't be. And those lasers, peels, and injections they do are $$$$$.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7483 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
You should see a cosmetic dermatologist. They deal with cosmetic cases like yours. But it could get expensive as OHIP doesn't cover it. Medical dermatologists covered by OHIP have to be referred by a GP and only deals with serious medical conditions like dermatitis and skin cancers. They'll likely refuse to treat cases like yours.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1521 posts
2 upvotes
Since OHIP doesn't cover most of the stuff you are looking for, might as well pick a 24 and find those skin care centre ads. $80 for microdermabrasion and stuff. I guess that's what you're looking for, no?

There's one on Yorkville that I go to, but they charge a bit more than the other places. I can give you a number if you'd like, PM.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Bordello wrote: You should see a cosmetic dermatologist. They deal with cosmetic cases like yours. But it could get expensive as OHIP doesn't cover it. Medical dermatologists covered by OHIP have to be referred by a GP and only deals with serious medical conditions like dermatitis and skin cancers. They'll likely refuse to treat cases like yours.
Most medical dermatologists will perform cosmetic procedures. There's great money to be made in it ($400 Botox injections, multi-thousand dollar laser surgeries) so why wouldn't they? It's just that cosmetic dermatologists will perform these procedures at the exclusion of more mundane things like warts and rashes.

There's a really nice cosmetic dermatology clinic in Yorkville (of course it would be there!) called SpaMedica. All they do is cosmetic procedures.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7483 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
Talamasca wrote: Most medical dermatologists will perform cosmetic procedures. There's great money to be made in it ($400 Botox injections, multi-thousand dollar laser surgeries) so why wouldn't they? It's just that cosmetic dermatologists will perform these procedures at the exclusion of more mundane things like warts and rashes.

There's a really nice cosmetic dermatology clinic in Yorkville (of course it would be there!) called SpaMedica. All they do is cosmetic procedures.
I said most medical dermatologists don't treat cosmetic cases, not all. You'll always have some that want to make extra money. I work in a medical clinic with several dermatologists. They will either outright refuse to see cosmetic cases or book an appointment that is 6 mo. to a year away (medical dermatologists are in extremely high demand).
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Bordello wrote: I said most medical dermatologists don't treat cosmetic cases, not all. You'll always have some that want to make extra money. I work in a medical clinic with several dermatologists. They will either outright refuse to see cosmetic cases or book an appointment that is 6 mo. to a year away (medical dermatologists are in extremely high demand).
I guess things are different in Ottawa. I worked for six years for a dermatologist and all of the medical ones in Mississauga do cosmetic procedures on top of warts and stuff. Here, they'll schedule part of their week exclusively towards cosmetic (i.e. all day Tuesday, Wednesday afternoon, etc.) and the rest towards medical issues. For those who don't have their own lasers, they'll schedule one or two days a week at a hospital or clinic that has one.
Aug 29, 2005
672 posts
thanks all

to 1jVu :

did any of the recommendations in your thread work?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2893 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
fabz wrote: thanks all

to 1jVu :

did any of the recommendations in your thread work?
umm the advanced solutions acne peel worked. its pricey at shoppers though. its like 39.99 or so.
use 2-3 times a week, ull realize a difference after first try. but im skeptical so i didnt see as much of a difference than most, but yes i would recommend it.