Hot Deals

[Desjardins Bank] celebrate canada's 150th with Desjardins (Downtown Toronto only)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 9:21 am
May 29, 2008
102 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Adil helped me set up the account with the first 5 categories. He was help fill but left out quite a few key details that Antoine filled in on my second meeting : 1) you have 1 month from account activation to fulfill payroll deposit setup and direct withdrawal. Antoine said he would put a note on my account and extend the deadline. 2) life insurance is 7.50 per month for ages 29 and under.

Other things that I found Adil helpful with: 1) he setup a health care account for me ( I'm a health care professional) which gives a $13 monthly discount on some select monthly transaction plans. However if you have enough money to meet the minimum monthly balance ( depends on the plans - top tier was min $5k) , the fees get waived anyways. 2) Adil said the 6 month free life insurance will involve Desjardins depositing money into your account and the insurance will automatically deduct the cost from your account. 3) other Desjardins offer a similar promo but they offer only $75 per category. Only the Toronto branch is giving $150 per category. However, if u started the account in Toronto, you can visit any other branch to fulfill the categories to get $150 (according to Adil). I just did all mine at the Toronto branch just in case.

Antoine helped me setup a mutual funds account on a separate meeting. Takes 1 hour. I went with a Conservative fund. $500 initial deposit plus $150 monthly ( note it is the $150 monthly deposit to qualify for the $150 bonus). Antoine says they might give the bonus at the 6 month mark for this. Website says for 1 year. Math comes out to placing $2300 total in mutual fund and gain $150 bonus. The mutual fund that I picked had a high Mer which was like 3.17%? ( Don't remember clearly). You can technically take out your money from the mutual fund after you get your bonus but the was some fine print that says you can't touch the money for 90 days after depositing. Otherwise you will pay lots of fees (2% I think ?) I wasn't sure if it was 90 days after the $150 deposits or only the initial deposit of $500. Antoine says he will check up on it and get back to me but I'll er on the side of caution and wait 90 days after my last $150 deposit).
Jun 27, 2017
86 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
I think this is still worth it even if you don't do the payroll deposit + direct withdrawal right? I mean that's still like earning $350-400 for keeping $1K for a year. Might open an account each for me and my wife who's self-employed.
Apr 4, 2017
271 posts
122 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I didn't know this was not available for students. I made an appointment and went downtown. Only to find out because I'm going to school full time in September (still will be working part time), I am unable to get the promotion.
Apr 4, 2017
271 posts
122 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I'm on phone. But can anyone comment where it says you have to work full time throughout the year and not be a student in the terms and conditions. I can't find it.
Apr 23, 2008
539 posts
28 upvotes
Opened an account today for the first 4 bonus offers. Skipped the life insurance as i m not in the young age group.
Once Tony knew I m RFD member, things went quickly as he did not pursuade me with the other bonus offers.
I have no new info except that Tony told me the direct deposits and withdrawals must be kept going for a full year.
Thanks OP.
Jan 8, 2009
435 posts
304 upvotes
phht wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:00 pm
Opened an account today for the first 4 bonus offers. Skipped the life insurance as i m not in the young age group.
Once Tony knew I m RFD member, things went quickly as he did not pursuade me with the other bonus offers.
I have no new info except that Tony told me the direct deposits and withdrawals must be kept going for a full year.
Thanks OP.
It seems like they make up the T&Cs as they go....
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4364 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
froggy2059 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 9:59 am
Adil helped me set up the account with the first 5 categories. He was help fill but left out quite a few key details that Antoine filled in on my second meeting : 1) you have 1 month from account activation to fulfill payroll deposit setup and direct withdrawal. Antoine said he would put a note on my account and extend the deadline. 2) life insurance is 7.50 per month for ages 29 and under.

Other things that I found Adil helpful with: 1) he setup a health care account for me ( I'm a health care professional) which gives a $13 monthly discount on some select monthly transaction plans. However if you have enough money to meet the minimum monthly balance ( depends on the plans - top tier was min $5k) , the fees get waived anyways. 2) Adil said the 6 month free life insurance will involve Desjardins depositing money into your account and the insurance will automatically deduct the cost from your account. 3) other Desjardins offer a similar promo but they offer only $75 per category. Only the Toronto branch is giving $150 per category. However, if u started the account in Toronto, you can visit any other branch to fulfill the categories to get $150 (according to Adil). I just did all mine at the Toronto branch just in case.

Antoine helped me setup a mutual funds account on a separate meeting. Takes 1 hour. I went with a Conservative fund. $500 initial deposit plus $150 monthly ( note it is the $150 monthly deposit to qualify for the $150 bonus). Antoine says they might give the bonus at the 6 month mark for this. Website says for 1 year. Math comes out to placing $2300 total in mutual fund and gain $150 bonus. The mutual fund that I picked had a high Mer which was like 3.17%? ( Don't remember clearly). You can technically take out your money from the mutual fund after you get your bonus but the was some fine print that says you can't touch the money for 90 days after depositing. Otherwise you will pay lots of fees (2% I think ?) I wasn't sure if it was 90 days after the $150 deposits or only the initial deposit of $500. Antoine says he will check up on it and get back to me but I'll er on the side of caution and wait 90 days after my last $150 deposit).
1 month? I was told 4 months, Desjardin's Promo don't have a black and white promo guidelines.
May 29, 2008
102 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 7:16 am
1 month? I was told 4 months, Desjardin's Promo don't have a black and white promo guidelines.
Yup, it looks like they change their minds on time frame as they go. They told you four months, they said 1 month for me. I just hope I get my credits.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4364 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
froggy2059 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 9:53 am
Yup, it looks like they change their minds on time frame as they go. They told you four months, they said 1 month for me. I just hope I get my credits.
Since I have not done anything since I open the account, I think its better for me to close the account now than having them changing promo rules.
Apr 26, 2012
10 posts
TORONTO
Does the financial advisor sell car insurance?

and would getting car insurance qualify for another $150?
Jun 27, 2017
1 posts
Can someone tell what is eligible direct withdrawal? The staff help me open my account said something like mortgage , but I don't want move my mortgage right now. Anything else I can go?
May 29, 2008
102 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
bills like your internet, phone bill, hydro, utilities etc
Sep 23, 2008
624 posts
160 upvotes
froggy2059 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 8:58 am
bills like your internet, phone bill, hydro, utilities etc
Anyone know if PADs like from Tangerine or PayPal would also qualify?
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4364 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
fmr1969 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 3:32 pm
Does the financial advisor sell car insurance?

and would getting car insurance qualify for another $150?
Not car insurance.
Apr 23, 2008
539 posts
28 upvotes
I linked my Tangerine and Desjardins accounts on both sides. A push money from desjardins is not allowed (Tang<- desjardins).
I will try a pull from Tang (Tang <- desjardins) in a week to see if it works (as I am waiting for my direct deposit).
The last resort would be to do multiple interac e-transfers to get money out of desjardins account as I read there is no- charge if the number of transactions is within limit (7 for "economy" transaction plan). Correct me if I am wrong.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)