None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4100 posts
354 upvotes
Markham

desktop or laptop

My son is 6 yrs old and need a computer for Lego mindstorms. I am wondering which is the one I should buy. Laptop is certainly more portable and easy to monitor, but someone said desktop is more damage resistant. Could anyone give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
33 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15923 posts
1832 upvotes
6 years old is a bit young to give them their own computer; doesn't the Mindstorms programming app run on a tablet as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4100 posts
354 upvotes
Markham
coolspot wrote: 6 years old is a bit young to give them their own computer; doesn't the Mindstorms programming app run on a tablet as well?
Yes. But I believe PC version includes more coding features and he can use it for other homework
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13774 posts
4334 upvotes
I would go with a laptop - it is portable which gives us a much wider range of uses and places to use it (anywhere on your property, even outside, where wifi reaches). Also one nice feature is that you can "limit" use because of the battery if you want (i.e.: the child can play for as long as the battery holds the charge, then it's time to turn it off and do something else).

Low end laptops will also be fairly inexpensive (even new they are sub $400) and come with EVERYTHING (keyboard, mouse, monitor). If you buy a desktop you need to buy all those items with it so it is tough for a desktop to compete on price. Then you have to factor in you need to clear off a space for the desktop as well (whereas a laptop could be used at the kitchen table).
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2366 posts
674 upvotes
I'm of the opposite mindset. I want my child to grow up knowing private computing is not an option in our house. My plan is to set up a desktop in an area where I can always see what they are doing, atlas until they are much older.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Jan 2, 2015
924 posts
312 upvotes
Well of course a desktop is more durable. You hardly ever move it, so less chance for damage.

My kids both had second hand (or third) or refurbished laptops. For us, they take them out when needed and came move around from room to room. Our house is smaller, so no permanent place works well.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2332 posts
526 upvotes
Montreal
Makes more sense to buy a desktop PC for the living room and create a user account for him with parental locks enabled.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3553 posts
433 upvotes
Aurora
Your kid is 6, by the time he needs something more powerful than a laptop for homework, the computer would be obsolete. Get him a tablet, allow him to use it only when you're around.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15923 posts
1832 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:06 pm
I'm of the opposite mindset. I want my child to grow up knowing private computing is not an option in our house. My plan is to set up a desktop in an area where I can always see what they are doing, atlas until they are much older.
You can do the same with a laptop - plus lock it away when you're not home so they don't browse inappropriate websites :D
Toukolou wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:50 pm
Your kid is 6, by the time he needs something more powerful than a laptop for homework, the computer would be obsolete. Get him a tablet, allow him to use it only when you're around.
I agree - 6 is too young to have their own computer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4100 posts
354 upvotes
Markham
A quick question: for young kids. A bigger screen say 23 inch monitor is better or a small one say 12 inch is better ?
Mar 14, 2017
36 posts
6 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:14 pm
My son is 6 yrs old and need a computer for Lego mindstorms. I am wondering which is the one I should buy. Laptop is certainly more portable and easy to monitor, but someone said desktop is more damage resistant. Could anyone give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
You can always go laptop + Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, HDMI Cable, and you will have both a desktop and a laptop. I use to do this, and some of my friends still do this.