• Aug 17th, 2015 7:13 am
Tags:
None
Feb 14, 2010
29 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax

Desktop or laptop for teen

My son's old laptop finally died and he would like to get something to play games on. He plays games like skyrim, Fallout and Minecraft. Wanting to go the cheap route since he's spending his summer job money, what would be a better option for him -- laptop or desktop? We have a monitor so we would just be getting the tower. I've read the requirements for some of the games but I'm not sure what's best for all of them. It doesn't have to be an amazing system(can't afford that!) but it just needs to work without being frustratingly slow. He was hoping to stay around the $200-$250 mark and refurbished or rebuilt is where we figure our best deal will come from. Is the speed of the processor more important than the graphics card? Is the amount of RAM crucial? I'm really unfamiliar with computers as you can tell, but would appreciate anybody's advice. Thanks so much!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
There's no new computer at price $200-250 will be able to play Skyrim or Minecraft. The best you can do is buy a used computer with that price. Since if your location is really in Halifax you might be out of luck with Kijiji. $400 is minimum if he wants to play on low to playable settings. Or else find another alternative for gaming by getting an Android tablet, consoles(Xbox 360 or PS3) for that price range.

Or else he can go with this route. He can later upgrade to another 4GB ram, or better CPU or graphic card down the road. This one he should be able to play the games listed on there but on low settings and lower resolutions.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/zKXG4D

or this:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/sCrfBm
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
You can't find a gaming PC for $200-250... That is the price of the GPU (graphics card) alone
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
What were the specs of his old laptop? Was he able to play those games fine on it?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
george__ wrote: You can't find a gaming PC for $200-250... That is the price of the GPU (graphics card) alone

For $300, you sure can put used parts together or lower end cpu. There are some decent computer on Kijiji for around $250-$300. I can play games such as Xcom, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2 and ect.. on decent settings on my $50 GT 430 video card.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
george__ wrote: buy the kid a console
Consoles are 400+ for new generation, unless you're talking about ps3/xbox360. Also his games can't be played on there and a whole new set of friends to make (assuming he plays with friends on pc)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
I think alienware alpha would have been a good choice (for $400) when it was on sale, but it's not possible to get it anymore at this price new.

The only other way is what LEXX911 posted, which is pretty much bottom of the barrel, but it would hardly do gaming that well.

I recommend saving and doing a proper build or looking at used systems.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Gaming laptop is likely gonna cost more than a gaming-capable "desktop" computer. However your main problem getting anything anywhere near that cheap (not really possible as people have pointed out) is that you have no parts other than a monitor (and presumably kbd/mouse). So you're still looking at case, mobo, CPU/APU, PSU, RAM, SSD, and possibly OS as well. That stuff is all going to add up; as others have mentioned the classifieds on here or Kijiji might be your friend. If you want to do even light gaming there's some certain minimums you need. Might want to state what resolution the monitor is because that's a big deal too--gaming at higher res requires better hardware if you want high settings/framerates.
Feb 14, 2010
29 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I really appreciate it! He had an Acer Aspire that seemed to play games fine. He has a PS4 right now(that's the reason he doesn't have much money left at the moment for a computer!) so he can play games on that until he saves up some more cash :) Thanks again!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
canmom3 wrote: The kid bought his own PS4 :)
Then he doesn't need a powerful gaming computer. Buy him a laptop on sale from the hot deals section and if he wants to game do it on the console...
Feb 14, 2010
29 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
george__ wrote: Then he doesn't need a powerful gaming computer. Buy him a laptop on sale from the hot deals section and if he wants to game do it on the console...
I think he should be fine with the PS4 as well, but since he is paying for a laptop or Desktop himself(no money from me), I thought I would at least help him find out what he should be looking for. Sometimes there is just no disuading a teenager when they get there mind set on something :D I do appreciate you taking the time to respond though!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)