Desktop won't turn on properly after coming from sleep

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:36 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes

Desktop won't turn on properly after coming from sleep

So in my previous thread I was talking about upgrading the RAM from 16 to 32GB. Well let's just say that I "tried" it two days ago, until I couldn't get one of the screws out because it's some foreign kind so I gave up, said it's not worth all the hassle trying to find and buy a special screwdriver and refunded the unopened ram at Mem Ex. So I am sticking with the default 16gb that came with it.

Ever since then I have had NOTHING BUT ISSUES. This is obviously a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I just don't get how an issue like this could result from it.

It's happened 3 times (basically everyday when I come out of sleep overnight), since I took it apart. I power on the Asus PC from sleep (when sat overnight or at least a good amount of hours) and nothing happens. My TV doesn't reconize the signal despite it being plugged in and the keyboard won't even be reconized. I unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable - nothing. Tried another cable, nothing. Tried unplugged from the TV - nothing.

Tried another wired keyboard to see if it would read it, nothing. But the PC still reads other USB stuff like my hub. Wierd. So I unplug the hub from the PC and plug the keyboard into thos same USB ports - nothing.

But here is the kicker, the PC is on, the LED lights are on, it's running and sounds normal.

So I do a hard shutdown and nothing. I power cycle it like how Asus told me - turn PC off (even if it's a hard shutdown by holding the power button until it powers off), then unplug the power supply from it to the wall and hold the power button on the PC for 30secs. Plug back in, power on. Well last night I had to do this 7 times before the PC finally showed a picture on the TV. Now it's happening again.

I also did a power cycle like Asus told me through the bios by hitting F5 to load default values.

Now this morning, I couldn't get the damn thing to show up again on my TV. USB keyboard doesn't light up either. I had to plugged and unplug the damn thing from the power cord like 10 times to get the picture to show again, honestly maybe even more! Frustrated. WTF?!
Here is the thing, when I finally got it working last night, I did some testing. I put the PC to sleep about 4 or 5 times, then started it back up again. I turned it off a few times. No issues at all. So it seems to be mainly an issue when the PC has been sleeping for a bunch of hours.

What do I do now? This is seriously a result of me taking the case off and taking off a few tiny screws? Nothing from the PC even got disassembled.

Should I just leave the PC on all the time and never turn it off or put it to sleep? Should I smash it to pieces?

Any idea what the heck is causing this odd issue? I mean I have power cycled it over and over and there is no way I am going to put up with having to plug and unplug and do 34 hard shutdowns each time just to get this thing on.
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Nov 14th, 2017 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Open it again and check the power cables. Make sure nothing came loose when you were in there.

Make sure you check the SATA cable as well.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:57 am
Open it again and check the power cables. Make sure nothing came loose when you were in there.

Make sure you check the SATA cable as well.
I can do this but when I took the case off, I never took any components out or disconnected anything but the LED wire to the lights (which is connected).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:01 am
I can do this but when I took the case off, I never took any components out or disconnected anything but the LED wire to the lights (which is connected).
I’m sure you didn’t touch anything. But it may have came loose when you were in there with the screwdriver.

Just make sure everything is seated completely.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:05 am
I’m sure you didn’t touch anything. But it may have came loose when you were in there with the screwdriver.

Just make sure everything is seated completely.
Okay. Also, I just had the PC on, when to restart it and it went back to where it was.

I have a feeling that the OS is 100% shutting down even though I do hard shutdowns because just after finally getting it to boot up, programs that I had open before were still open. Huh?
Jan 19, 2017
84 posts
15 upvotes
it could be that the power supply is failing, or it could be that by opening the case and touching the internals, a (potential) static electricity shock damaged a component on the motherboard. if i were you, i'd test the PSU first.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
darXider wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:51 am
it could be that the power supply is failing, or it could be that by opening the case and touching the internals, a (potential) static electricity shock damaged a component on the motherboard. if i were you, i'd test the PSU first.
I think the problem is static electricity. I forgot to touch a metal component before cracking open the case a couple days ago.

Whats the best way to test the PSU?

I called Asus again and they suggested I do the deepest power cycle (which is to hold the power button for 60 secs this time) but everything and all devices unplugged from the PC first. They said this is used to clear any static electricity that may be in the unit.

I wont be able to test this until after work tonight. Also I will bring home of the spare monitors at work to home and hook it up via VGA to see if I can get a picture (when I dont through HDMI) and then I cam weed out if this is a HDMI issue or an issue with my tv or not.
Jan 19, 2017
84 posts
15 upvotes
yes, using a VGA monitor is a good idea. the best way to rule out a damaged PSU is to use another PSU and see if you can power on the computer and use it normally or not. before trying a new PSU, shutdown your PC (full shut-down, no hibernation or sleep), unplug the PSU cable from the wall jack, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, and then leave the PC unplugged for a couple of hours...the goal is to discharge all the large capacitors in the PSU that could hold charge over a long period of time.
good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:17 am
I have a feeling that the OS is 100% shutting down even though I do hard shutdowns because just after finally getting it to boot up, programs that I had open before were still open. Huh?
If programs are exactly where they are when it restarts, then it went to sleep. It is not the power supply.

Something is shutting it down and forcing it to hibernate or sleep.
Dec 2, 2010
84 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
There was an old bug with certain motherboards where it couldn't resume from sleep mode. Resetting the CMOS and disabling sleep mode fixed this for a computer that had a similar issue.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
darXider wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:21 am
yes, using a VGA monitor is a good idea. the best way to rule out a damaged PSU is to use another PSU and see if you can power on the computer and use it normally or not. before trying a new PSU, shutdown your PC (full shut-down, no hibernation or sleep), unplug the PSU cable from the wall jack, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, and then leave the PC unplugged for a couple of hours...the goal is to discharge all the large capacitors in the PSU that could hold charge over a long period of time.
good luck!
Thanks. I completely unplugged everything from the PC this morning and its been sitting for 5 plus hours. Ill hold the power button for 60secs tonight. Should I
I let it sit after or could i power it up right after?

Praying to god its not the power supply.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1658 posts
328 upvotes
Windsor
Since you internally changed nothing, it is likely something external. The only external devices that have more than one port to use are USB (basically), so try that. You might also have more than one video output, and I actually had this issue with an old videocard (I had to turn off the monitor first, or it wouldn't wake), so you could try swapping those connectors as well.

My guess: you originally had something plugged into one USB port, and now it's in another. The two ports are controlled by different controllers. and each handles waking devices differently, so now one of your random devices is plugged into a different port, and it's causing issues.

Unplug everything except your keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Plug those two USB devices into two ports that are vertically stacked (so, they're almost definitely on the same controller). See if sleep/wake works properly. Move those two devices to another set of stacked ports, and try again. Do this until all ports have been tried, and they all work. If you get a problematic set, don't use those at all, if possible, or mentally make a note.

From there, start adding USB devices one-by-one. If you run into an issue, move that device to another port. If not, swap it with the mouse/keyboard, because you've already verified it won't cause issue.

If you had issues with certain ports, see if you can find another driver for the USB controller.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Apr 27, 2009
137 posts
36 upvotes
West Vancouver
Typically windows systems will sleep for 180 minutes and then go into hibernate state. If your system only misbehaves after coming out of hibernate state then a simple workaround would be to disable hibernate.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:18 pm
Since you internally changed nothing, it is likely something external. The only external devices that have more than one port to use are USB (basically), so try that. You might also have more than one video output, and I actually had this issue with an old videocard (I had to turn off the monitor first, or it wouldn't wake), so you could try swapping those connectors as well.

My guess: you originally had something plugged into one USB port, and now it's in another. The two ports are controlled by different controllers. and each handles waking devices differently, so now one of your random devices is plugged into a different port, and it's causing issues.

Unplug everything except your keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Plug those two USB devices into two ports that are vertically stacked (so, they're almost definitely on the same controller). See if sleep/wake works properly. Move those two devices to another set of stacked ports, and try again. Do this until all ports have been tried, and they all work. If you get a problematic set, don't use those at all, if possible, or mentally make a note.

From there, start adding USB devices one-by-one. If you run into an issue, move that device to another port. If not, swap it with the mouse/keyboard, because you've already verified it won't cause issue.

If you had issues with certain ports, see if you can find another driver for the USB controller.
Thanks. I have 6 things plugged into my USB ports (my USB ports are two USB 3.1 and four USB3.0.

When unplugging to take the PC case off:
Top two are ext hard drives
Middle two are USB hub and USB cord for charging devices
Bottom two are for my Razor RGB mech. keyboard (not sure why this keyboard uses two USB ports)

When plugging back in after putting the PC case back on
Same setup but possibly my ext drives are in reverse from before and possible the two keyboard USB plugs are reserve. But would this matter?

So it's best to plug the keyboard and mouse above and right under each other? I didn't know that the controllers are seperated vertically, always thought it was horizontally.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
1) PC has been sitting completely unplugged from anything all day. Did the power cycle by holding down the power button or 60 secs. No signal to monitor or keyboard.

2) Tried hooking up a work monitor through DVI, nothing, no signal. The PC doesn't have VGA output.