• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:36 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:35 am
If programs are exactly where they are when it restarts, then it went to sleep. It is not the power supply.

Something is shutting it down and forcing it to hibernate or sleep.
This is what I don't get . I pull the plug from the PC to the power supply and it doesn't shut down? How is this even possible?

I am this close to smashing this thing with a hammer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25401 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:05 pm
This is what I don't get . I pull the plug from the PC to the power supply and it doesn't shut down? How is this even possible?
If you physically discount the power cord and there is absolutely no power going to the computer, then it is hibernating.

Sleep and hibernating are two different things

Sleep maintains the current desktop state and reduces the power consumption of your computer, but it is essentially still turned on

Hibernation takes a snap shot of your desktop and memory and save it to a file on the hard drive. Then it completely shuts off the computer. No power. When you turn it back in, it reloads everything back to the state before hibernation from the file.
Jan 15, 2010
333 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
blackstaffer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:40 pm
There was an old bug with certain motherboards where it couldn't resume from sleep mode. Resetting the CMOS and disabling sleep mode fixed this for a computer that had a similar issue.
There was also a bug with win10 that caused computers to hang when coming out of sleep. Disabling the win10 fast boot fixed it for me.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:39 pm
If you physically discount the power cord and there is absolutely no power going to the computer, then it is hibernating.

Sleep and hibernating are two different things

Sleep maintains the current desktop state and reduces the power consumption of your computer, but it is essentially still turned on

Hibernation takes a snap shot of your desktop and memory and save it to a file on the hard drive. Then it completely shuts off the computer. No power. When you turn it back in, it reloads everything back to the state before hibernation from the file.
It must be a stupid windows thing. How do I get the PC to 100% shut off? Leaving it unplugged all day today isn't good enough? I thought I bought a desktop, not a laptop.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:13 pm
There was also a bug with win10 that caused computers to hang when coming out of sleep. Disabling the win10 fast boot fixed it for me.
Well I would try that if I could get the piece of junk to send a signal to my TV. I think this thing is dead. I might as well just smash it. I was this close to throwing it down the stairs and onto the hard wood floor but I resisted. THIS CLOSE.

Never buying another Asus PC again. What a piece of junk, and windows is even worse.

So now I am googling how to completely shut off a PC other than the start menu.

I'm packing it up right now and going to smash it tomorrow at work. All this from me taking the PC case off and now the PC can't work properly. You would think this would be something that would happen in 1982, not 2017.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1403 posts
263 upvotes
Wow! I feel your pain OP. I've had similar thing happen to me when I opened the case and cleaned out some dust bunnies. .... And then nothing! Nearly pulled out all of my hair and it turned out to be just a loose connection.

Take a deep breath, put the PC away somewhere and come back to it in a week or so. I'm sure you'll figure it out or at the very least not smash it to bits so it can be salvaged for parts later. Good luck.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
singhrh wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:39 pm
Wow! I feel your pain OP. I've had similar thing happen to me when I opened the case and cleaned out some dust bunnies. .... And then nothing! Nearly pulled out all of my hair and it turned out to be just a loose connection.

Take a deep breath, put the PC away somewhere and come back to it in a week or so. I'm sure you'll figure it out or at the very least not smash it to bits so it can be salvaged for parts later. Good luck.
I triple and quadruple checked everything tonight. I spent 3hrs on it and another hour on the phone with level 3 tech support at Asus. I even spoke with one of the lead techs at Mem Ex here and they all said its hardware and I need to send it in. There was not a single thing more that I could do, I would be wasting my time. I powered the thing on and off about 20 times tonight and couldnt get a signal to the TV once, even with a monitor from work.

So I got it all packed up really well and scheduled to ship tomorrow for Thurs by noon arrival in Markham ON. 7-10 bus day turnaround time. Thank god I kept the box (this is why I kept it), finding a box and bubble wrapping a 15lb PC is not easy to do and is time consuming.

Im just crossing my fingers its something minor.

I called Asus and they said that me opening the case doesnt void my warranty. Phew huge relief.

I left my number and who knows maybe I can get them to install another 16gb stick of ram for me.

If I saw this all coming I for sure wouldnt have bothered with this. Had I just kept it as is I wouldnt have to ship this to Asus tomorrow.

Just upset at myself. If it aint broke, dont mess with it. Hopefully it results well. Whatever they do I just hope they dont reformat my hard drive. I have everything on my ext drives but if avoidable Id rather not have to reinstall everything again if I dont have to.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Have you considered taking it into Best Buy Geek Squad or Canada Computers to see if they can help with the issue?
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:06 am
Have you considered taking it into Best Buy Geek Squad or Canada Computers to see if they can help with the issue?
For the turnaround time I might as well ship it off to Asus, plus Asus has all the parts on hand. I'm just really dissapointed by the quality of this machine, I thought Asus was quality?! You can't even pop the case open, because oh no the machine will stop working properly! You would think this would happen on a $400 machine, not a 2K machine. If I had disposable income, I would have thrown this piece of garbage off a cliff by now. Never buying an Asus again.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25401 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’m curious to see what ASUS’ response will be. I doubt it is a hardware defect. If it was, it would have surfaced sooner.

In case you haven’t shipped it yet, make sure you remove your password and back up your data before shipping.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:16 am
I’m curious to see what ASUS’ response will be. I doubt it is a hardware defect. If it was, it would have surfaced sooner.

In case you haven’t shipped it yet, make sure you remove your password and back up your data before shipping.
I am curious too but I am very nervous. I hope to god it is not something serious like the mobo. It is possible that all that is needed done is having the CMOS on the mobo reset. But you literally have to gut the machine to get to it.

Its obvious that I caused it. I was stupid, i should have left the machine alone. I am thinking that I caused static electricity inside on saturdau when I opened it and caused the power supply to short out. My money is the power supply.

Its obviously a power issue, I would be very surprised of I caused both of my HDMI ports to die.

They will have the machine tomorrow by noon. Ive never dealt with Asus but it would be nice if a tech or rep calls me before they start working on it. I did type up a letter for them with my case number and description of whats gone on. There should be no reason for them to format my HD.

I just hope that they dont try to bill me since they will see that I cracked open the case and broke the warranty seal.

Im going to see if I can upgrade the ground shipping on thr way back to overnight. I dont feel comfortable having a 2K machine on the road inbetween trucks for up to a week. I wonder why they have their machines overnighted to them but yet grounded back to the customer when done.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25401 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 7:46 pm
I wonder why they have their machines overnighted to them but yet grounded back to the customer when done.
My money is still on a loose cable. I doubt static did anything to it.

The reason why they ask you to over night is because you’re paying for the freight to Markham. Freight back is on their dime and they’re cheap. The only way they will over night back to you is if you send them a call tag.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:11 am
My money is still on a loose cable. I doubt static did anything to it.
This is what I thought but I checked everything when I had it open again. I never disconnected anything but the LEDs but got those back in. However the graphics card does have a dead connector at the end from the factory but it doesn't connect to anything, nor was it near any sort of connector to plug it into.
The reason why they ask you to over night is because you’re paying for the freight to Markham. Freight back is on their dime and they’re cheap. The only way they will over night back to you is if you send them a call tag.
Oh but I never paid for anything as I got a prepaid label.

I will see if they can overnight it back to me on my dime.

I am really curious as to what the issue is.
Feb 1, 2012
31 posts
4 upvotes
MARKHAM
I had a similar issue recently but i did nothing to set it off so i found it odd.

Did the power cycle and everything.

Last thing i did was unplug everything and removed the CMOS battery and RAM. Waited a few mins, popped everything back in and boom it worked.
Annoying thing was setting my my OC profiles back in the BIOS, since removing the CMOS battery puts everything back to stock.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
483 posts
121 upvotes
jlang129 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 11:39 am
I had a similar issue recently but i did nothing to set it off so i found it odd.

Did the power cycle and everything.

Last thing i did was unplug everything and removed the CMOS battery and RAM. Waited a few mins, popped everything back in and boom it worked.
Annoying thing was setting my my OC profiles back in the BIOS, since removing the CMOS battery puts everything back to stock.
I think mine might be the same situation, the CMOS battery. What does the CMOS do anyways? If thats the problem then all the better for me. I am sure pulling the battery will be the first thing they try.