Shopping Discussion

Desperately need a new pair of prescription glasses, insurance 6 months...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2015 6:34 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes

Desperately need a new pair of prescription glasses, insurance 6 months...

Im with Manitoba Blue Cross and am 5.5 months away from being eligible for a new pair of glasses (would have $40 leftover from prior claim), as well as another eye exam. Im kinda in a need for a new pair of current prescription. What is the cheapest option possible to get by until that time?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2233 posts
1021 upvotes
goggles4u
zennioptical

most insurance companies allow you to claim purchases from months ago as well. I know with my mom's insurance, I can claim a purchases 8 months old.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Go through http://www.clearly.ca and you will be able to get a pair for $40, and you can also submit it to your insurance company. Clearly is based out of Canada and will ship your glasses to you right away, where as some overseas places will take weeks to send you a pair.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
Pay out of pocket because you have a JOB! new lens are $50 each.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I like clearly.ca, but I've been very happy with goggles4u. If you need a simple prescription goggles4u is excellent. Clearly has a retail store in Toronto which is great for bifocal prescriptions.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Clearly.ca all the way. You just missed a great sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
nano wrote: Pay out of pocket because you have a JOB! new lens are $50 each.
So? The op was asking for the cheapest option, not a fraudulent option. Op may not have the funds readily available.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Shoppers / Walmart / Rexall sells pre-prescibed glasses.....

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes
So will optometrists even give my old prescription information or will they try to insist on another eye exam? I know my prescription is unqiue because of my Keratoconus.
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes
So got this email from Manitoba Blue Cross.

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, the full vision benefit will only be available as of April 1, 2016 and claims are adjudicated based on the date of purchase or service, not the date they are submitted to our office for processing. [/QUOTE]

Someone said they can claim purchases made months ago, just wondering with what insurance was that with?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
cutchemist42 wrote: So will optometrists even give my old prescription information or will they try to insist on another eye exam? I know my prescription is unqiue because of my Keratoconus.
Optometrists may tell you that your prescription has "expired". However, most provinces have legislation that allow you access to your medical records so they are not legally allowed to withhold them.

However, with online retailers you will have to get your pupil diameter as it is not typically on a prescription from the optometrists (the eye glass place usually gets this value). Some people get it themselves (apps with your smartphone can do it), but it's up to you if you trust those methods.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
Try a mom and pop store. My local one gives discounts to loyal customers. And freebies. Charged me 89 dollars for a pair with anti glare coating. Thin lenses. Free lifetime warranty. Free lenses cleaning solution.
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
349 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: Try a mom and pop store. My local one gives discounts to loyal customers. And freebies. Charged me 89 dollars for a pair with anti glare coating. Thin lenses. Free lifetime warranty. Free lenses cleaning solution.
Zenni is $7.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bluebellrose wrote: Try a mom and pop store. My local one gives discounts to loyal customers. And freebies. Charged me 89 dollars for a pair with anti glare coating. Thin lenses. Free lifetime warranty. Free lenses cleaning solution.
In Richmond? Which one is that?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)