• Aug 9th, 2018 7:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2007
1882 posts
91 upvotes
Hamilton

Destination wedding

My daughter wants to book a destination wedding package in Feb of next year. We are just starting to look into it. Any experts here who can give some advice ?
What would be the best way to book a package like this . Thru a travel agent or directly with the resort ? Whatever way we do it flights will need to be included.
Thanks
9 replies
Jan 17, 2017
133 posts
66 upvotes
Not an expert, but I can tell you what we did.

We dealt directly with the wedding coordinator at the resort we knew we wanted to get married at (having visited it twice before). For us to reserve a date and location we wanted at the resort, we had to send them confirmation of a booking.

After we booked and reserved the date, we then setup a group deal with AC for the guests a couple months later.

I know alot of the companies (AC, Westjet, etc) have wedding packages, so that might be a good option too.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1353 posts
517 upvotes
OTTAWA
If you don't know where you will want to do some research. There are a lot of good websites that cover the legal and logistical differences along with the normal destination information.
For packages in general a travel agent is suggested not sure if a large package you might get a better deal booking directly.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1351 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
petrpuck wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 8:35 am
My daughter wants to book a destination wedding package in Feb of next year. We are just starting to look into it. Any experts here who can give some advice ?
What would be the best way to book a package like this . Thru a travel agent or directly with the resort ? Whatever way we do it flights will need to be included.
Thanks
it depends on the country, hotel and even on the number of people, but on average, you will get more value when dealing with a travel agent or wedding planner/travel agent. Just make sure they are experienced or they have a potential to mess it up( I've seen it a number of times over the years - from booking wrong rooms to wrong flights, wrong airports, wrong pricing given, wrong number of people, etc). Nothing wrong with shopping around so you can contact both parties.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2007
1882 posts
91 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks for the replies. I see now I wasn't to clear in my original post. i am going to leave the wedding stuff up to her and her boyfriend. What i was wanting to know is , what is the best way to book flights and rooms for the guests. I assume if we are booking for 60 people we will get a better price for the AI packages. So would we be better dealing directly with the resort or with a travel agent ?
Dec 30, 2009
149 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
petrpuck wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 9:58 pm
Thanks for the replies. I see now I wasn't to clear in my original post. i am going to leave the wedding stuff up to her and her boyfriend. What i was wanting to know is , what is the best way to book flights and rooms for the guests. I assume if we are booking for 60 people we will get a better price for the AI packages. So would we be better dealing directly with the resort or with a travel agent ?
While people expect better prices for AI packages for groups, it's rarely the case due to how flight fare classes are setup.

Best thing you can do for a group is to shop around. A travel agent can get you prices from multiple companies. You can also try going directly through the airlines to see what you can get, e.g. Transat group request or air canada, or sunwing

Also travel agents will sometimes give you quotes for companies/hotels where they can get the highest commission.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6235 posts
2350 upvotes
Kootenays
As Jimmy Fallon said..."Bad enough I have to go to another wedding, now I have to use up my vacation time too??"Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4597 posts
1890 upvotes
Toronto
smacd wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 7:39 pm
As Jimmy Fallon said..."Bad enough I have to go to another wedding, now I have to use up my vacation time too??"Smiling Face With Open Mouth
In fact, if you don't wanna go to another wedding, you got the perfect excuse : "Sorry, I would love to go, but I don't have any more vacation time"
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1589 posts
732 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
petrpuck wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 9:58 pm
I would book it as a package (too many what ifs that I won't bore you with to do it all seperately).

Which resort do you have in mind? I can tell you who the best tour operator would be.

Booking through the resort directly will most likely be in USD and def not in our favour and who knows come final balance what the exchange will be like. You absolutely do not want to deal with the hotel directly in the event of issues (trust me). Resort contracted pricing is already finalized for winter 2019 (tour operators completed this months ago).

Find a large agency that has a wedding department (they all do: itravel, Lux, red tag, sell off, marlin etc) or the tour operator directly. They will deal with the actual details of getting your guests there and will in turn secure your wedding date. In regards to finite details of the actual wedding they already have the contacts of the resort's wedding department. Dealing with a travel agent you can copy them on your emails so incase something doesn't go as planned you have a secondary person working for you.

The agent will put together group pricing and you will have X amount of time (a few weeks / a few months even) depending. That will give your guests the time to make arrangements and call in to secure deposits. There are additional bonuses available to weddings (free upgrades, free seats, free rooms) that will be offered depending on Group size / resort.

Depending on which resort/destination I can better direct you to which agency/tour operator would be in your favour.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5189 posts
816 upvotes
Don't forget to take residency and other requirements into account. We got married in Jamaica because it only required 48 hours residency and no blood test. We don't trust random people in Mexico to do blood work.

Other places require you to meet with the mayor/governor or place an ad in the paper. Or incredibly long residency requirements.

We also brought our own photographer for the same price as the hotel's resident photo studio, around $4000 including AI package.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)