PC & Video Games

Destiny 2 - Forsaken Expansion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 5:43 pm
Mar 26, 2008
443 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
I would say this expansion is definitely geared towards those people who are going to sink hours into the game. Destiny 2, at launch, was well catered for the casual. I play maybe 10 hours a week and I was max light before each DLC on all three characters. This expansion pulls a 180 on that and caters to the hardcore.

Some key points
1. The grind has been SIGNIFICANTLY slowed down. The path to max light will NOT be a cakewalk
2. Random rolls are back and I, personally, am quite excited for it. It means a bigger (and hopefully better) loot grind. This is, after all, a looter shooter.
3. New areas are interesting and the lore behind them and the enemies has really been well created. Story is not amazing but I enjoyed it and it exceeded my expectations(given all the Destiny stories i have encountered so far).
4. In order to get progression, there are bounties, challenges, weekly bounties, etc. The path to progression lies in YOUR hands. Enjoy PvP? there is a powerful engram available to level you up there. Want a mix? try Gambit which fuses PvP and PvE....just want to shoot aliens in the face? do the flashpoint, do strikes, do heroic story missions. VARIETY is definitely been brought back with this expansion.
5. Exotics are SUPER SUPER RARE now....streamers and content creators have gone 100s of hours without a single drop. We will definitely have to work to ensure our collections are stacked.

I have always loved Destiny because it was a place where the gunplay mechanics were amazing, the supers made you feel like a BADASS, and my friends provided just the right environment to jump in and have fun!

While I am happy about this new expansion, I know that I will probably not have enough time to be able to maintain three characters and grind them to max level. I do not fault Bungie for doing this. They took feedback from the community (mostly streamers and content creators) and were told that the depth of the game was lacking. Hence they turned the dial to 11 and cranked out a hell of an expansion.

However, this doesn't mean this isn't a game to jump into. I would encourage everyone to try it out.
PSN ID: R0CK3T5YNT5T [R zero C K three T five Y N T five T]
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Plan: $60 Koodo 10 GB data, Unlimited Canada-wide minutes, Unlimited messaging (text & picture)*, Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Conference Calling
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8262 posts
1041 upvotes
Victoria
Yah... I'm probably no use to providing feedback to bungie. I had a lot more free time during the days of D1. Thus I enjoyed the grind. Now my free time is less, and I don't really feel the drive to grind.

Maybe bungie can't win. They make the grind too time consuming, they lose the casuals. My the grind too easy and they loose the hardcore. I am enjoying rise of the tomb raider this week :)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15474 posts
3872 upvotes
Already getting bored playing Vanguard strikes. Over and over again, the same couple. The Reef one with Spider comes up way too often and is now too easy to finish in around 10 minutes. The one with the Prison of Elders about the same amount of time. Can't even play most of the Reef as requirements like 540 to 580 power will take a long time for me to reach since i don't play Gambit or other PvP content. Most of the Youtube videos require you to be in a clan (nope, not my thing) or be at 540+ in power which automatically excludes me. And now Bungie wants me to spend another $30 to get DLC content which seems to be geared for PvP at the expense of PvE. No thanks...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8262 posts
1041 upvotes
Victoria
Yah that's how I felt. Even with D1 (except super Vanilla D1 before the first DLC) the grind to top level wasn't that long. For Crota it took me a few weeks, for HoW it took me one week. Even without raiding you could easily to get one level below max level and still do everything. It was all about finding rare legendary/exotic gear and upgrading it with stuff to get it to max light. Then they introduced infusion which slowed that down a bit (because you lost power level during the process). Infusion got better in year 3 and into D2 when infusion didn't reduce level.

Now infusion is expensive so you can't really use the gear you want, just the gear that drops. The power level on drops is barely higher than what your power level is, so grinding the weekly/daily events doesn't yield much progress. It means that whole new area remains level locked for a long time for you to get to a level that you can play it.

It really annoyed me. I wasn't feeling the new grind at all. I miss the days when it was more about playing for fun, and trying to get OP gear based on playing events with horrible RNG. Destiny has moved in a direction that isn't for me. I'm glad I didn't pay the extra $30 for the small seasonal content.

I guess what we will find out is who pays more money. The casual players or the hardcore players. It feels like this DLC really kills the incentive for the Casuals. It probably won't matter because most people probably bought the DLC+Annual Pass together.... Glad I didn't :)
Sep 19, 2012
272 posts
133 upvotes
Kitchener
DougO wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 12:10 am
Already getting bored playing Vanguard strikes. Over and over again, the same couple. The Reef one with Spider comes up way too often and is now too easy to finish in around 10 minutes. The one with the Prison of Elders about the same amount of time. Can't even play most of the Reef as requirements like 540 to 580 power will take a long time for me to reach since i don't play Gambit or other PvP content. Most of the Youtube videos require you to be in a clan (nope, not my thing) or be at 540+ in power which automatically excludes me. And now Bungie wants me to spend another $30 to get DLC content which seems to be geared for PvP at the expense of PvE. No thanks...
How come I keep hearing people say it has soooo much content for solo players.

This is exactly what I feared and why I still haven't bought Forsaken. I don't feel like dealing with a clan but I literally have to if I want to tackle the raid (no proper in game matchmaking).
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15474 posts
3872 upvotes
Well, they did it again...added more PvP content and maps. Nothing for PvE. I guess Bungie doesn't listen to tgeir own feedback. At least I can *try* to go after some of the rare exotics. Crafting is a nightmare though there are a few cheats. Only playing sporadically at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7455 posts
1153 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 9:52 am
Well, they did it again...added more PvP content and maps. Nothing for PvE. I guess Bungie doesn't listen to tgeir own feedback. At least I can *try* to go after some of the rare exotics. Crafting is a nightmare though there are a few cheats. Only playing sporadically at this point.
PvP content is cheap and easy to add.

Also, that new mode, whatever its called, its 98% PVE, save for the odd guy jumping in trying to slow your team down. They literally made a PvE horde mode into a fake PvP game just to appeal to the PVE crowd.

I play both and find PVP to be very easy or very hard specifically depending on lag. If im hosting i tend to be 3 or 5 k/d ratio, and if im connecting to someone else, the further away the more i go down under 1.0 kd ratio.

The only REAL pvp is in competitive mode, and few to no quests in this game make you play that. I havent since Destiny 2 came around, and not going to.

As for pve content, the entire expansion caters to it. Around 90% of the content is already PvE. I havent even finished the story missions for the main quests and they keep adding more and unlocking more questlines with the raid. I play 10-20 hours per week and there's so much stuff i cant keep up with. lol
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1054 posts
52 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DougO wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 9:52 am
What about The Shattered Throne dungeon? And the Malfeasance Quest?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15474 posts
3872 upvotes
pennywize wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 7:54 pm
What about The Shattered Throne dungeon? And the Malfeasance Quest?
Not doing any of that until I hit 540 or higher. Currently at 523. Only way to get powerful gear is directly confronting the level boss in a strike and getting those special engrams or waiting out the week until the Tuesday reset. Can't get them from Xur as Bungie doesn't have him selling the new exotics. Dunno why he is still in the game. Having to use Masterwork cores for crafting was a real let down. Bungie says they are going to look at that but the grind for cores seems excessive. Looking for a new shooter soon anyway. Dunno when Anthem will be out but many places now taking pre-orders. I have a Gamepass good for a year card I never used that I got for half price on E3 week, so I'll use that. My current sub (which I hardly ever use) runs out in November when I'm sure the price will drop again for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. All set...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7455 posts
1153 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 9:20 pm
Not doing any of that until I hit 540 or higher. Currently at 523. Only way to get powerful gear is directly confronting the level boss in a strike and getting those special engrams or waiting out the week until the Tuesday reset. Can't get them from Xur as Bungie doesn't have him selling the new exotics. Dunno why he is still in the game. Having to use Masterwork cores for crafting was a real let down. Bungie says they are going to look at that but the grind for cores seems excessive. Looking for a new shooter soon anyway. Dunno when Anthem will be out but many places now taking pre-orders. I have a Gamepass good for a year card I never used that I got for half price on E3 week, so I'll use that. My current sub (which I hardly ever use) runs out in November when I'm sure the price will drop again for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. All set...
Xur is there for completing collections of old exotics...I'm missing about 7-10 exotics from my 1 character and each week i get a new one from him, based on the base game + previous 2 DLCs.

New exotics arent going to be sold by Xur until the next batch of exotics probably come out, otherwise there's no point in calling them exotics or playing the game trying to get them to drop. I got the wavesplitter last week and it melts faces in PvE, which being quite fun in PvP as well because people dont expect it, it melts people with shotguns that run at me from a distance and trying to slide 1-shot me.

I'm 560 now and can say its the bare minimum level where I can play most content worry free. The Shattered Throne is a 590 light level dungeon, so im not bothering with that until 580 at the least.

Mealfeasance quest is really hard to get, and based on pure luck. I'm near max level in Gambit and it only spawned 1 time for me, and the 1 time it did spawn, i was on a bad team that couldnt melt the boss in time...so no quest.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2193 posts
476 upvotes
I've completed Malfeasance on all 3 characters and have seen the meatball once since then (couldn't beat him). I've reset twice and am 1/3rd through the 3rd time. In order to get the Dredged tag you need to reset three times and kill the meatball 2 more times (2nd gives you the sparrow and 3rd gives you the ship). Ghost is available at 3rd reset.

The grind is real.
Nov 30, 2007
729 posts
253 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Curious if anyone still plays from here? Stopped playing shortly after Leviathan raid, and have been back and playing ever since Forsaken dropped and it's been a great change!
However, not too many people to play with anymore.

PSN: The_GAME
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8262 posts
1041 upvotes
Victoria
I stopped playing. I played forsaken for a few weeks but then I moved on to the new tomb raider.. went back to destiny for a few more weeks and then Red Dead Redemption came out.

They slowed down the grind..... Given there was other games I wanted to play, I didn't really want to grind that much. In the 4 or 5 weeks I did play I got up to about 550.

Apparently with the new DLC... there's not much to it and you have grind up to 620 before you can even play that....

Destiny's tough. It kind of assumes it's the only game you want to play and you can dedicate all your time to it. If there's other stuff you want to play you can't really grind up fast enough to access all the content :(