PC & Video Games

Destiny 2 - General Discussion Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 9:33 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:38 pm
I didn't get the email so I just went to my Bungie account and found out where the key is. They ask you which platform you want it on, then it gives you a key. Download is only 340 MB which took seconds. Now have to wait a couple days to play. I'm still irked about the rather fishy stuff Bungie is doing with regard to the XB1X. Since there is a port for PCs that is superior to the PS4 Pro version I don't see why they could not do same for the newer Xbox iteration other than deals done with Sony that they won't discuss. Ah well, I'll just get Anthem for that system and have the best of both worlds...
As someone who played Destiny 1 on PS4 and now gonna play D2 on Xbone, I'm glad that at least it doesn't seem so lopsided with content this time around, but I guess we'll see when they release DLC down the line. I do think that Bungie is well within their right to hold back functionality if they signed an exclusivity deal with Sony. It might not be 'fair' to XboneX owners, but they did sign the deal and are bound to ensure that the best console version of the game shows up on Sony platforms...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
7268 posts
701 upvotes
Victoria
DougO wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:38 pm
I didn't get the email so I just went to my Bungie account and found out where the key is. They ask you which platform you want it on, then it gives you a key. Download is only 340 MB which took seconds. Now have to wait a couple days to play. I'm still irked about the rather fishy stuff Bungie is doing with regard to the XB1X. Since there is a port for PCs that is superior to the PS4 Pro version I don't see why they could not do same for the newer Xbox iteration other than deals done with Sony that they won't discuss. Ah well, I'll just get Anthem for that system and have the best of both worlds...
weird what part of the website did you do that on? I'm not able to figure it out. I found a code redemption page, but it was asking for the code, but I can't figure out where to go to generate or find the code.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1860 posts
283 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 6:52 pm
weird what part of the website did you do that on? I'm not able to figure it out. I found a code redemption page, but it was asking for the code, but I can't figure out where to go to generate or find the code.
You don't generate a code...it'd be sent to you for preordering. Have you pre-ordered and not received a code?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
7268 posts
701 upvotes
Victoria
jrees wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:04 pm
You don't generate a code...it'd be sent to you for preordering. Have you pre-ordered and not received a code?
I bought mine on the ps4 via PSN. Maybe it's automated and I'll get it before next week?
Sr. Member
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:36 pm
I bought mine on the ps4 via PSN. Maybe it's automated and I'll get it before next week?
From what I just read if you pre-ordered digitally you should be able to pre-load Destiny without having to do anything special. It should just be there.

If you pre-ordered physical copy you should have some kind of code on your bill somewhere?
Sr. Member
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 4:58 pm
As someone who played Destiny 1 on PS4 and now gonna play D2 on Xbone, I'm glad that at least it doesn't seem so lopsided with content this time around, but I guess we'll see when they release DLC down the line. I do think that Bungie is well within their right to hold back functionality if they signed an exclusivity deal with Sony. It might not be 'fair' to XboneX owners, but they did sign the deal and are bound to ensure that the best console version of the game shows up on Sony platforms...
I could understand switching from Xbox to PS4 but why would you switch from PS4 to Xbox? As someone who also owns a PS4 and Xbox seriously I am genuinely curious.

As for Bungie being within their right to hold back functionality because they signed a deal with Sony, I disagree. The other option would be to just not sign that deal in the first place. Or sign an exclusive deal with xbox and also give them exclusive content sort of how like you sometimes get different items when you pre-order certain games depending where you order from. There is no way to defend excluding content from people that paid the exact same amount of money for half a product just so Activision could put more money in their pocket. It's unethical and anti-consumer.

I missed out on playing Destiny after Vanilla just because of the negative feelings from those shenanigans which is a real shame because Destiny is actually a fun game now especially after all the expansions.
Newbie
Sep 20, 2008
5 posts
2 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:06 am
I could understand switching from Xbox to PS4 but why would you switch from PS4 to Xbox? As someone who also owns a PS4 and Xbox seriously I am genuinely curious.

As for Bungie being within their right to hold back functionality because they signed a deal with Sony, I disagree. The other option would be to just not sign that deal in the first place. Or sign an exclusive deal with xbox and also give them exclusive content sort of how like you sometimes get different items when you pre-order certain games depending where you order from. There is no way to defend excluding content from people that paid the exact same amount of money for half a product just so Activision could put more money in their pocket. It's unethical and anti-consumer.

I missed out on playing Destiny after Vanilla just because of the negative feelings from those shenanigans which is a real shame because Destiny is actually a fun game now especially after all the expansions.
There is a way to defend excluding the content though. Sony paid for it. There is no deal with Xbox because Phil Spencer isn't interested in making third party deals for exclusive content anymore ( or so he says) this isn't content Bungie developed and then cut out of the game for Xbox players, it's content that was specifically created for PS4 players and paid for by Sony. If Sony didn't pay for it, it wouldn't exist. On top of that you can bet that Sony paid ALOT more than what that content development cost Bungie, so there are other aspects of the game that are improved for all players across all platforms that Sony technically paid for.

I'm not trying to say that it doesn't suck that Xbox players don't have access to their own exclusive content, but it doesn't make sense for Sony to be giving them content that they paid for, for free. That's why the window exists. It's not unethical, and in my opinion it's not anti consumer either since all players eventually get the content. And it doesn't make Bungie the bad guys for finding a way to secure millions of dollars in development fees to keep the lights on and keep Activision stakeholders happy.

Anyway that's my two cents. Enjoy the beta!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:06 am
I could understand switching from Xbox to PS4 but why would you switch from PS4 to Xbox? As someone who also owns a PS4 and Xbox seriously I am genuinely curious.
I actually got rid of my PS4 - it's with my brother-in-law now. And after I did, my PSN account was hacked and apparently banned by Sony anyway (without them notifying me until I just randomly tried to log in when I was at his house).
Bryson wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:06 am
As for Bungie being within their right to hold back functionality because they signed a deal with Sony, I disagree. The other option would be to just not sign that deal in the first place. Or sign an exclusive deal with xbox and also give them exclusive content sort of how like you sometimes get different items when you pre-order certain games depending where you order from. There is no way to defend excluding content from people that paid the exact same amount of money for half a product just so Activision could put more money in their pocket. It's unethical and anti-consumer.
Sony paid for exclusivity, so it's well within Bungie's right to say that Sony should have the best version of the game on consoles. Part of that exclusivity means that if you're Bungie/Activision and want to play nice with the company that's paying you lots of money for exclusivity, you won't then turn around and sign a different exclusivity deal with their main rival...

I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. Put it in a different context – if say Footlocker paid Nike to do an exclusive shoe collaboration with them, then I should expect that SportChek wouldn't have access to the same product since it's a paid exclusive.
Bryson wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:06 am
I missed out on playing Destiny after Vanilla just because of the negative feelings from those shenanigans which is a real shame because Destiny is actually a fun game now especially after all the expansions.
Same. I played Vanilla Destiny, and bounced off it after a few months, so the additional exclusive content was of no real consequence to me. In fact, you can read my date with Destiny here. I hope that Destiny 2 is different, but I'm definitely coming into this more cautiously, but still optimistic.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 24, 2004
1288 posts
38 upvotes
s1gfromwpg wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:05 pm
Anyone get their code from Wal-Mart yet?
This . .. don't bother calling Walmart. I've tried twice and no one has a clue. You scour the interwebz, same thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
wpooh888 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:10 pm
This . .. don't bother calling Walmart. I've tried twice and no one has a clue. You scour the interwebz, same thing.
Check your emails today. I had preorders with both Amazon and Walmart. Got my Amazon code back when I ordered, but my Walmart code just came in... email was sent at 2:18 EST.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Jr. Member
Feb 1, 2013
131 posts
48 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 2:26 pm
Check your emails today. I had preorders with both Amazon and Walmart. Got my Amazon code back when I ordered, but my Walmart code just came in... email was sent at 2:18 EST.
My man - good lookin out! Just checked and there it was! Thank you!!!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)