PC & Video Games

Destiny Beta Over: What Say You (Public Poll).

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2014 4:24 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: What did you think of the Destiny Beta?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.

Poll ended at Nov 25th, 2014 8:26 am

Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes

Destiny Beta Over: What Say You (Public Poll).

So what are the thoughts on this?

I would deny that I was massively underwhelmed when I played it. I thought the gameplay mechanics/controls, graphics (relatively), music, and voice-acting where great. But the core game I did not like. The missions where terribly repetitive and got boring very fast. The story felt very superficial and non-existent. I also felt that using Hollywood actors was a waste of money, and that budget might have been better served towards plot development and better missions - you would be suprised to hear that this game has one of the biggest budgets in gaming history - it seems like all that money went towards the superficial stuff like using Celebrities for voice-over work, and not towards the game itself.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
All in all positive for me, but kind of concerned about the campaign (felt a bit repetitive). Crucible area I played for a single match, never touched it again. The co-op stuff is what's more interesting to me.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Oct 19, 2013
900 posts
135 upvotes
Enjoyed the beta. Wasn't the most epic game ever or anything but they've probably sold me on getting it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I enjoyed it for the most part but have some concerns.

I really enjoyed doing the PvE missions espeically with freinds. I didn't care for the devil's lair strike mission however because the final bosses took a stupidly long amount of time to kill. My favorite mission was the last one of earth where you have to defend your ghost from the Hive attack. I get the complaints about mission repetivity but I'd be fine with variations of Halo's firefight around your ghost for every mission, espeically with the added hook of loot. The world did seem a little barren at times and the enemy respawns are poorly done IMO but I don't know when I got together with my pals and we worked together on some of the harder missions to accomplish them I just had to much fun to care about all these little things. I don't mind grinding the same mission as long as there is a challenge to it and there is loot involved.

The PVP on the other hand was a hot mess. The nature of this game does not allow for a balanced multiplayer combined with the difference in classes and third person powers. Also playing a competitive MP game with 2-3 hit kills at 30FPS is just wrong. Then for whatever reason they decide to add completely OP vehicles. I haven't been so bored in a competitive MP game since I tried to play tomb raider's multiplayer about a year ago

In the end the beta made me a bit more excited for the final game though I still have concerns that this is a game that is going to keep my attention past the intial playthrough since I'll likely skip PvP all together. I'd also like to say I'm glad this game is coming out in the beginning of september because if it was coming out anytime past the middle of october there is a good chance I may have just skipped it.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1768 posts
2593 upvotes
Didnt like it. Ill keep my preorder since it got it for 34$ and ill just resell it.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
PVE missions are repetitive and you can tell some maps are actually just recombination of other maps.
AI is dumb, check below
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4ea9eae4 ... OWP2cS4fKo

PVP is ever worse. Unbalanced classes, at most 6V6, invincible super charge skills, etc..
I’ll finish it ASAP and then resell it for $45.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
mymuro wrote: PVE missions are repetitive and you can tell some maps are actually just recombination of other maps.
AI is dumb, check below
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=4ea9eae4 ... OWP2cS4fKo

PVP is ever worse. Unbalanced classes, at most 6V6, invincible super charge skills, etc..
I’ll finish it ASAP and then resell it for $45.
Pretty sure that was set on the easiest difficulty. I was getting lit up when i was playing and you can't even say it's because of positioning because that guy in the video was stationary!

I'm sure they'll add achievements on the hardest difficulty to make things more challenging.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2095 posts
992 upvotes
YYC
Coop should be pretty fun and last me until some more games come out in Oct. MP was pretty bad so I will stick with Titanfall. This game would have been so awesome at 60fps. I went back to Titanfall yesterday after playing Destiny for a few days and I got motion sickness due to how smooth it was at 60fps. Also why is no one complaining that this next-gen game is only 6v6.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I liked it but I am going to wait for reviews first. Big question, will it stay interesting or get boring fast? I'm not excited at the idea of pumping lead into a boss for almost 10 minutes before bringing it down lol.
Feb 19, 2006
912 posts
183 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I spent 16 hours total playing it. So yeah I liked it. Will definitely fork over another $40 for the expansion pass.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1694 posts
140 upvotes
I'm not an expert. But for that level of visual fidelity. Why the hell is this game only 30FPS?

I got used to it and the game is more good than crap. But not likely to be a home run day one purchase for me any more.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
scratchieepants wrote: I'm not an expert. But for that level of visual fidelity. Why the hell is this game only 30FPS?

I got used to it and the game is more good than crap. But not likely to be a home run day one purchase for me any more.
I haven't played Titanfall but how do the graphics compare to that? We know Titanfall can do mostly 60fps right? I'm just looking at some random screenshots, and it looks decent.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
SuperDuperFox wrote: I haven't played Titanfall but how do the graphics compare to that? We know Titanfall can do mostly 60fps right? I'm just looking at some random screenshots, and it looks decent.
My uneducated opinion is that Destiny looks to have far more advanced lighting, higher quality textures, better foliage, greater scope, and some sort of atmospheric rendering. destiny is a better looking game in almost every aspect.

However it's not really an apples to apples comparison as titanfall is an poorly optimized game running on an ancient game engine that has a difficult time remaining stable on even a premier PC setup.

The fact that Destiny is a cross gen game most certainly influenced bungies decision to go with 30 FPS
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
SpicYMchaggis wrote: My uneducated opinion is that Destiny looks to have far more advanced lighting, higher quality textures, better foliage, greater scope, and some sort of atmospheric rendering. destiny is a better looking game in almost every aspect.

However it's not really an apples to apples comparison as titanfall is an poorly optimized game running on an ancient game engine that has a difficult time remaining stable on even a premier PC setup.

The fact that Destiny is a cross gen game most certainly influenced bungies decision to go with 30 FPS
I'm expected games to really start looking better once PS3 and Xbox 360 consideration is no longer an issue. There's already a big difference when you look at how exclusives are looking compared to games that are multi-paltform.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
SuperDuperFox wrote: I'm expected games to really start looking better once PS3 and Xbox 360 consideration is no longer an issue. There's already a big difference when you look at how exclusives are looking compared to games that are multi-paltform.
I think destiny is one of the last games being soley developed for 4+ platforms. Moving forward most cross-gen games seem to be being handled by a third party contracted developer so next-gen performance shouldnt be effected.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: My uneducated opinion is that Destiny looks to have far more advanced lighting, higher quality textures, better foliage, greater scope, and some sort of atmospheric rendering. destiny is a better looking game in almost every aspect.

The BIGGEST problem with Titanfall in my opinion is choosing the Source engine. Terrible choice. It tells you how inefficient the engine is when Destiny looks better and can hit 30fps STABLE at 1080p, but the Source engine needs to drop to 792p in order to manage 60fps UNSTABLE (lots of dips into 40s). If Titanfall was 1080p it would run in 15 fps probably. Awful engine.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1694 posts
140 upvotes
I'm just using another somewhat unfair expectation. I'm expecting Infamous Second Son graphical fidelity. But of course a multiplayer FPS isn't a fair comparison. But to get the same lighting, reflections, and just the actual sharpness of the textures and lines. -- is my expectation for all PS4 games now. Probably unreasonable. But that's where I would say, ok fine, 30fps target is "ok".

Otherwise, Destiny is fun, and I am sure it will be a commercial success. But not quite Day One category for me right now, even though I can't come up with any real show stopping reasons to suggest others to not give it an honest try either.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
scratchieepants wrote: I'm just using another unfair somewhat expectation. I'm expecting Infamous Second Son graphical fidelity. But of course a multiplayer FPS isn't a fair comparison. But to get the same lighting, reflections, and just the actual sharpness of the textures and lines. -- is my expectation for all PS4 games now. Probably unreasonable. But that's where I would say, ok fine, 30fps target is "ok".

Otherwise, Destiny is fun, and I am sure it will be a commercial success. But not quite Day One category for me right now, even though I can't come up with any real show stopping reasons to suggest others to not give it an honest try either.
I'm thinking I will give it a few weeks and see how people like it after spending lots of time with it. I want to know, after 30 hours of play time, is it still fun, etc.

Actually, I will give it probably just one week lol, then I have time off so I might have to get it.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
TheBatManRising wrote: The BIGGEST problem with Titanfall in my opinion is choosing the Source engine. Terrible choice. It tells you how inefficient the engine is when Destiny looks better and can hit 30fps STABLE at 1080p, but the Source engine needs to drop to 792p in order to manage 60fps UNSTABLE (lots of dips into 40s). If Titanfall was 1080p it would run in 15 fps probably. Awful engine.
The Source engine is highly modular and efficient, it is not literally the same thing that was used in 2008 for HL2 or something. Titanfall is just a very poorly optimized game because they were rushed and development money ran out at a few points in the project, they barely limped to the finish line and it took additional money from Microsoft to get them there.