• Apr 22nd, 2017 12:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
305 posts
67 upvotes
Winnipeg

Detacher lawn raking options

It's everyone's favorite time of year. To rake or not to rake?

Last year I raked by hand and barely filled two yard bags. A neighbor on the street has the Yardworks Detacher and got five bags and had less grass than me. I purchased that machine this year but have yet to use it. A few people at work have been using and raving about the universal blade. I am looking for opinions and if anyone has any experience with these two options.

Yardworks Detacher
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... 3864p.html

Universal blade
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/unive ... 7131p.html

The Yardworks seems close to a Billy Goat which is what most lawn companies use. I know the tines can break and you'll need to replace them but would this machine do a better job than the blade?

Thanks

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2853 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
+1
Also interested in feedback.

The yardworks is currently on sale. But seems steep for a yard machine you use maybe once per year.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2853 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
There are other options by Snow (Sun) Joe, that are well reviewed by Amazon as well. One is similarly priced to the one currently on sale at CT, and the newer/lighter one is about the same price as the one at CT at regular price.

Sun Joe AJ800E for $94.50

Sun Joe AJ801E for $194.98

Decisions, decisions....
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2853 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:51 am
There are other options by Snow (Sun) Joe, that are well reviewed by Amazon as well. One is similarly priced to the one currently on sale at CT, and the newer/lighter one is about the same price as the one at CT at regular price.

Sun Joe AJ800E for $94.50

Sun Joe AJ801E for $194.98

Decisions, decisions....
Ugh.... damn you RFD.

As soon as I posted the amazon link for the Sun Joe AJ800E that's currently on sale, I refresh the page and start seeing the stock numbers declining!! LOL

I just placed my order, and now its down to only 6 left in stock.

That "RFD Effect" though... hahahaha
Mar 19, 2013
437 posts
98 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Don't know much about the Yardworks type. In my younger years, I was a fan of the dethatching blade attachment for your lawn mower. Quit using them many years ago. Being rotary, I found it scalping, ripping and tearing my lawn. At times put the grass into stress mode. Also if one of the tines happens catch something like a small rock in you grass, now you have a dangerous projectile. Once I put a small rock through my basement window. You definitely want to keep people and pets away when using the blade. Protect your lower windows. Detatching a once year task. With the electric, you have the initial cost, maintenance and storage. Other options, hire someone, they will have more powerful machine. If you buy an electric, rent it out to your trusted friends and neighbors for a small fee or rent a machine. Myself, I use a specialty rake I purchased from Lee Valley several years ago.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2853 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:01 am
Ugh.... damn you RFD.

As soon as I posted the amazon link for the Sun Joe AJ800E that's currently on sale, I refresh the page and start seeing the stock numbers declining!! LOL

I just placed my order, and now its down to only 6 left in stock.

That "RFD Effect" though... hahahaha
.... only 4 left in stock now. Interested to see if the RFD Effect clears this out within the next hour.

It is a great price. don't get me wrong!

EDIT:
I just checked camel*3, and it looks like the current sale price on this dethatcher is the cheapest it has been since August of last year. So definitely a good buy, if you're in the market for one!
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6850 posts
1179 upvotes
Brampton
When the homehardware on Woodbine and 7 Closed I picked up a 14" dethaching blade. Similar to this : http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/unive ... p.html#srp

It was $5 taxes in.

I got about 2 large brown yard bags.

I got a 4 1/2HP Mulching mower. What you do is go over the lawn first with the dethatcher. Attach the mower bag and the regular blade back then, go over the lawn again to suck up the thatch. You'll need to empty your bag very frequently.

I did scalp a few areas of my lawn because of how uneven certain spots of my lawn was. No big deal, i just toss a hand full of Scotts coated seed and keep em moist.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
305 posts
67 upvotes
Winnipeg
I prefer to stay away from the Sunjoe product as parts in Winnipeg be difficult to source. Also storing it with that bag be a pain. With the yardworks you can use your lawn mower afterwards to pick it up.

Upvoting the post about protecting the windows. Will do and I thank you for pointing that out! Good catch!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13415 posts
4070 upvotes
From what I have read, dethatching is something that does not typically need to be done every year. You want a layer of some thatch on your grass, and often the thatch you have is within that amount.

As a side note - I bought a dethatching blade (the ones with the plastic tines that point downwards) for my mower and did a couple sections side by side - each section lowering the mower down until it scalped the lawn. Within 2 months every section looked the same - whether it was just mowed, slight dethatched, or the dethatching blade actually scalped the lawn. This has me wondering whether dethatching is truly a necessity on a regular basis, or if you are spending the time doing something are better off with aerating as your limited time may not allow both.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1632 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:10 am
From what I have read, dethatching is something that does not typically need to be done every year. You want a layer of some thatch on your grass, and often the thatch you have is within that amount.

As a side note - I bought a dethatching blade (the ones with the plastic tines that point downwards) for my mower and did a couple sections side by side - each section lowering the mower down until it scalped the lawn. Within 2 months every section looked the same - whether it was just mowed, slight dethatched, or the dethatching blade actually scalped the lawn. This has me wondering whether dethatching is truly a necessity on a regular basis, or if you are spending the time doing something are better off with aerating as your limited time may not allow both.
I came to say the same thing. I used to rent a dethatcher every year and I think I was harming the lawn (not to mention the 50,000 bags of crap). I cut plugs in various spots and follow "ask this old house" advice on when to dethatch. It's about every 4 years.

My biggest issue is with bugs.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2853 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:28 am
.... only 4 left in stock now. Interested to see if the RFD Effect clears this out within the next hour.

It is a great price. don't get me wrong!

EDIT:
I just checked camel*3, and it looks like the current sale price on this dethatcher is the cheapest it has been since August of last year. So definitely a good buy, if you're in the market for one!

RFD... you kill me,

I can't believe you guys went and cleared all of Amazon's stock of this dethatcher after I posted the link this morning. I'm glad a placed my order before telling you guys about it!!! hahahahaha
Feb 9, 2013
736 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly, a hand raking works for me. My lawn has always looked great, and my neighbour's lawn always looks damaged and hurt after he uses a dethatcher.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel