Entertainment

Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Live-Action Movie

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
17747 posts
1322 upvotes

Detective Pikachu, Pokemon Live-Action Movie

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokem ... 201818838/
Legendary Entertainment has won the rights to a Pokemon movie and is partnering with the Pokémon Company to launch the first live-action Pokemon film franchise with a “Detective Pikachu” movie.

Legendary said details are being kept under wraps but added that the film will be fast-tracked for production to start in 2017. Detective Pikachu is a new character in the Pokemon universe.
Twenty years in the making! :cheesygri

EDIT: Just for reference, here's a trailer for the game, Detective Pikachu.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1360 posts
89 upvotes
I hope they cast Danny Devito as Pikachu
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Out of all the scenarios in which to do a live action Pokemon movie, they choose Detective Pikachu?

Seriously?

Put $200 million into a god damn live action Pokemon Red movie. Take the whole game, make it into a movie. That's it. We have the technology now!

Want to make $4 billion profit? Just god damn do it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6014 posts
1706 upvotes
Canada
I think you're right ... this is a half-step trying to appeal to non-Pokemon fans.

Oh well, kids will love it.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14367 posts
3170 upvotes
Now, we need Legendary to do a live action One Piece. Since the Chinese bought the film company its obvious they are looking into doing series with good money making potential. And leaving it with the Japanese would result in a mess like Attack on Titan with its all Japanese cast...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
23410 posts
1107 upvotes
Markham, ON
DougO wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:26 pm
Now, we need Legendary to do a live action One Piece. Since the Chinese bought the film company its obvious they are looking into doing series with good money making potential. And leaving it with the Japanese would result in a mess like Attack on Titan with its all Japanese cast...
...yeah I wouldnt put a lot of expectations on Chinese action films. It's still one notch lower than Japanese action films unfortunately.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
17747 posts
1322 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 8:46 am
DougO wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:26 pm
Now, we need Legendary to do a live action One Piece. Since the Chinese bought the film company its obvious they are looking into doing series with good money making potential. And leaving it with the Japanese would result in a mess like Attack on Titan with its all Japanese cast...
...yeah I wouldnt put a lot of expectations on Chinese action films. It's still one notch lower than Japanese action films unfortunately.
He means that since the Chinese bought American-based Legendary Entertainment, they are willing to throw money at movies with potential to make even more money. His suggestion is essentially an American made One Piece with Chinese capital.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Penalty Box
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
10106 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Haz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 10:32 am
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 8:46 am
DougO wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:26 pm
Now, we need Legendary to do a live action One Piece. Since the Chinese bought the film company its obvious they are looking into doing series with good money making potential. And leaving it with the Japanese would result in a mess like Attack on Titan with its all Japanese cast...
...yeah I wouldnt put a lot of expectations on Chinese action films. It's still one notch lower than Japanese action films unfortunately.
He means that since the Chinese bought American-based Legendary Entertainment, they are willing to throw money at movies with potential to make even more money. His suggestion is essentially an American made One Piece with Chinese capital.
Technically speaking it was bought by chinese company Wanda Group but the head of Legendary is still the founder and CEO Thomas Tull from Burbank, Cali. So it's a chinese owned company with american interests and intentions. Like making Matt Damon the white savior of Yang Zhimou's flick The Great Wall. Laughable, lol.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14367 posts
3170 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 6:08 pm
Haz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 10:32 am
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 8:46 am


...yeah I wouldnt put a lot of expectations on Chinese action films. It's still one notch lower than Japanese action films unfortunately.
He means that since the Chinese bought American-based Legendary Entertainment, they are willing to throw money at movies with potential to make even more money. His suggestion is essentially an American made One Piece with Chinese capital.
Technically speaking it was bought by chinese company Wanda Group but the head of Legendary is still the founder and CEO Thomas Tull from Burbank, Cali. So it's a chinese owned company with american interests and intentions. Like making Matt Damon the white savior of Yang Zhimou's flick The Great Wall. Laughable, lol.
No worse than Gods of Egypt or the new Ben Hur. Laughable is right. But yeah, American producers bankrolled by Chinese interests. Much the same as Sony did with Columbia. Sony also doesn't make many Japanese only productions since they are a global thinking company and have been since day one. So, hopefully we see some major work in the next few years coming out of Legendary...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11333 posts
1582 upvotes
Toronto
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:30 pm
Disappointed Danny DeVito won't get to play the part.
Yup! He would have been good!

Top