None
[OP]
Aug 10, 2006
976 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Developing photos

Blacks?

I know there's lots of deals at futureshop/best buy as well as the photo developers at pacific mall. What's the difference between them all anyways? I know that blacks photos are much more vivid. But in terms on longetivity and clarity etc, they should all pretty much be the same right? I don't know what else there is about photos.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4682 posts
144 upvotes
Winnipeg
Are you referring to film? If you're talking about digital, there is no developing...just printing.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2006
976 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
cipher wrote:Are you referring to film? If you're talking about digital, there is no developing...just printing.
oops, yes that's what I mean. printing.

Are photos the same no matter where I print them from?
Jun 2, 2006
12 posts
Vancouver, BC
I normally send my photos to Future Shop Photo online, and they're ready the next day. But, last week I learned that they won't correct red eye shots anymore. You have to do it yourself with their online correction tool. I tried it, but half the photos printed out with red eyes anyway. It's ridiculous.

Maybe I'll try Black's next time.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3547 posts
16 upvotes
walmart...you get them within an hour or 2 and basically all digital photos no matter where you print them they come out the same
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5973 posts
408 upvotes
BC
get your own photo printer. the paper i use is water proof, finger prints dont show, and i've tried but cant rip them in half.

best pics ever.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4946 posts
936 upvotes
Thornhill
Keelie wrote:get your own photo printer. the paper i use is water proof, finger prints dont show, and i've tried but cant rip them in half.

best pics ever.
I have a photo printer,R200. Awesome quality,but it's more expensive to print yourself. At 15c photo,it's a great deal. It costs me much more to print a photo.

Costco is known to have the best print quality. However,today I had some prints done at FS,and they came out amazingly well.

With prints,make sure you have a somewhat calibrated monitor. What you see on your monitor may not be what you'll get off a printer. It's especially valid for people who adjust their desktop brightness,contrast,etc settings.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
Well, it depends on the ink they use. Hard to really tell without experimenting first though... In any case, I would keep the datafiles.

Also, some let you touchup the photos yourself, which is a big plus, depending on the type of pictures you have ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4682 posts
144 upvotes
Winnipeg
Keelie wrote:get your own photo printer. the paper i use is water proof, finger prints dont show, and i've tried but cant rip them in half.

best pics ever.

I'll bet that if you take your paper and dunk it in a glass of water for a few minutes, it won't be waterproof... :cheesygri

As for printing photos yourself, most printers on the market are dye-based and the photos will start fading almost immediately. It's worse if the photos aren't behind glass. Air and light are the enemies of dye-based inks. Pigment based printers like the Epson R800 and the new HP B9180 makes prints that can last over 100 years. The trade-off is that dye inks have a wider gamut than pigment inks.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4946 posts
936 upvotes
Thornhill
cipher wrote:I'll bet that if you take your paper and dunk it in a glass of water for a few minutes, it won't be waterproof... :cheesygri

As for printing photos yourself, most printers on the market are dye-based and the photos will start fading almost immediately. It's worse if the photos aren't behind glass. Air and light are the enemies of dye-based inks. Pigment based printers like the Epson R800 and the new HP B9180 makes prints that can last over 100 years. The trade-off is that dye inks have a wider gamut than pigment inks.
I have shots taken with a R200 printer that were done 3 years ago,when I just got it. I reprinted some of those to share with my family. I couldnt' tell the difference between
old and new pictures.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5973 posts
408 upvotes
BC
cipher wrote:I'll bet that if you take your paper and dunk it in a glass of water for a few minutes, it won't be waterproof... :cheesygri

try a 1/2 hour and the photos came out without any effects of the water.
i put a photo in water for 1/2 hour and after it came out and dried it was just as printed.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Aug 10, 2006
976 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
So judging from the replies, it seems like places like FS and BB can be comparable to Blacks?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4946 posts
936 upvotes
Thornhill
nwwong wrote:So judging from the replies, it seems like places like FS and BB can be comparable to Blacks?
Well,Blacks sure isn't better if that's what you're asking.
Mar 28, 2003
729 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I've been working with Costco. They will now do larger prints from their on line interface. Upto 16x20. If you are serious, you can also get the "printer profile" for their printers. Ensures better colour representation.

Someone above mentioned WalMart. I would have never gone there myself, guess I prejudged them. I saw some prints from WalMart and there were fantastic. You can get the printer profiles for the WalMart printers too. They actually use top of the line printers there. I still haven't tried them though.