Cell Phones

Is Devicecheck.ca Reliable to check for blacklisted iPhones?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 8:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga

Picking up an iPhone today from someone, curious if this will work?
9 replies
Nov 14, 2013
64 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
Yes it works but if you want to check out a phone today just bring an active sim with you and test it on the spot. If you get a cell signal and can make a call you are good to go. If NO SERVICE shows in the upper left corner then it’s probably blacklisted.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
Accat38lat5 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 10:18 am
Yes it works but if you want to check out a phone today just bring an active sim with you and test it on the spot. If you get a cell signal and can make a call you are good to go. If NO SERVICE shows in the upper left corner then it’s probably blacklisted.
doing this too, just wanted to check for peace of mind...

i know the original owner can always call later and screw me over...but i have a little faith...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
soupmaster666 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:00 am
I usually try to schedule a time to pick up a phone at least 24 hours after the advertisement has gone up, even if I have replied to the ad right away.

If I don't get it, that's fine. If I do get it, chances are once 24 hours has passed, that user of a stolen phone would have noticed and called their carrier. The blacklists take effect pretty quickly.

The bigger risk in my opinion is an iCloud lock. To check for that I do a Factory Reset the iPhone right there in front of the person, and make sure it comes back up without asking for any passwords. There was a "doulci" tool to remove iCloud locks, but it only works on some older versions of iOS.
solid advice. didn't know about the icloud lock.

for sale post is around 2 days old. comes w/ box and accessories. another check for it being legit.
seller has provided IMEI.

so basically i'll:
- check IMEI in blacklist registry
- confirm model of the phone matches the AXXXX iPhone models
- try my carrier SIM
- do a factory reset and make sure no password requests come up prior to and after factory reset.....
Nov 14, 2013
64 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
If you are past the activation screen just go into settings and the iCloud info is at the top of the page. If there is any name there it’s the name associated with the Apple ID so iCloud would be active. If it just says iCloud it isn’t active and you are good. No factory reset required.

But again it’s your circus.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
Ask the seller to factory reset the phone before meeting. Insert your sim card and activate the phone. If there is an iCloud account associated with the iPhone, you will be asked to enter the iCloud userid and password. If the phone is already set up, ask the person to factory reset the phone in front of you.

Additional check I perform: bring headphones to check the headphone functionality, volume buttons, power.lock button, mute button, unlock the phone using your fingerprint, use wifi, see of the imei on the sim tray matches imei in the phone, try surfing over using a data, and check the lightning port.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3198 posts
1842 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Try to bring another active SIM from another carrier as well. Some carriers will block phones on their own network but not put it in blacklist. I found out the hard way. You can have phones blocked from using used but shows up as clean on the blacklist registry.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13477 posts
2726 upvotes
Markham
check on koodo too https://www.koodomobile.com/help/finding-your-imei

it will shows this
Your device should work on our Network.
Your device has not been reported as lost or stolen
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
Picked up device today.

All looks well. Thanks everyone.
Jan 17, 2010
199 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not sure how reporting works now a days, but before, carriers can blacklist an IMEI of a device that is locked to them. What people used to do was sign contracts and get subsidized device, sell it on CL, and not pay the bill. Or they would use a fake credit card to buy the device and then the carrier would get a charge back. Then carrier would blacklist the device.

Bought an S4 off CL myself and 3 months later, when I called Bell, they said they had to blacklist it because the buyer did not pay her bill for 3 months.