Entertainment

DEXTER: NEW BLOOD - Tv Show| New 2021 Trailer (REVIVAL)

Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1361 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I don't think she told him to run as in "you are in deep shit run before you get arrested" and it had more to do with the fact once it's known that his dad was living under a fake name, killed the lovable coach and policeman of the town and is the famous serial killer Bay Harbor Butcher, Harrison wouldn't have a life in this town.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
sharpshooter88 wrote: I hope they don't do a show around Harrison. I thought the finale allowed Harrison to overcome the darkness that was consuming him and will allow him to try and lead a life free of anymore killing. Just leave things as is.

I can't say enough how satisfying this finale was. This season was some of the best TV I've seen in the past few years.
I enjoyed the finale and felt this made a much better series sendoff than the original finale.

That being said, I kind of view Harrison killing Dexter a bit differently. I hope they the show go, and leave to our imaginations, but be we basically saw Dexter coach Harrison to his first kill. What if he gets a taste for it?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
theXshape wrote: I don't think she told him to run as in "you are in deep shit run before you get arrested" and it had more to do with the fact once it's known that his dad was living under a fake name, killed the lovable coach and policeman of the town and is the famous serial killer Bay Harbor Butcher, Harrison wouldn't have a life in this town.
It makes zero sense. Who would law enforcement think shot Dexter? Dexter was killed by a gun legally purchased and traceable to the Morgans.
There really isn't a way for Angela to claim she shot him - why would she use a non police issued weapon?
The crime scene (tire tracks, foot prints), would clearly indicate he was there.
All signs would point towards Harrison, and his making a run for it would not make things better for him.
His face is going to plastered everywhere on the suspicion of killing his father.
The only reasonable explanation for Angela doing this is her wanting Harrison to be as far away as possible from her daughter.

Harrison should turn himself in, confess what happened, including that Angela basically pressured him to run at a time when he was mentally vulnerable.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1278 posts
592 upvotes
Regina, SK
shikotee wrote: Ditto.

All in all, this season was enjoyable, and definitely ranks higher then the last half of the old series.
Biggest disappointment was the Lithgow tease, which turned out to be a few seconds.
The series required a good degree of suspension of disbelief to enjoy, but this has always been the case.

Obviously a much better wrap up than the original finale.
The good - The season was easily better than Dexter's final seasons and the finale was easily better.

The bad - None of those were high bars to climb over. Dexter has one of the most universally hated series finales.

At least Harrison didn't die by Kurt and essentially recycle Deb's death. The comeuppance for Dexter still rings hollow. There is something about a narcissistic, sociopath essentially deciding his own fate that doesn't really make it feel like Dexter truly lost. After Dexter kills Logan and really shows how dark he can be I think I would have preferred Dexter make some sort of attempt to go after Harrison and force Harrison to defend himself. It would really complete the idea that Dexter really only cares about himself and that even his son wouldn't get in the way of that.

That being said I would have preferred an ending that went down the original showrunner's path and involved Dexter getting arrested and ultimately being put on a table for the death penalty. Especially when they brought in Batista for another scene in the finale. I didn't need more Batista, but the decision to put that scene in made me feel that they should have committed a legal ending for Dexter. If felt like a cheat that Batista gets some potentially game changing information on the BHB and than there is a big rug pull.
shikotee wrote: I'm slightly confused on why Angela instigated for Harrison to make a run for it (who then drives through the town centre for the very discreet get away).
From her perspective, all Harrison did was kill his own dad, who was basically pressuring him to go on the run.
With all that would be revealed about Dexter, he'd once again be a hero.
I can't imagine the law would go after him, hard, for what he did.
I don't get how making a run for it would be better for Harrison. If anything, it would look very suspicious that he just disappeared when his dad died.
For me, this just seemed slightly out of character for her.
I agree. Angela was portrayed as such a morally good and 'by the book' character that it is really hard to see this decision. I could see original series characters like Batista or Laguerta making this kind of choice, but those characters had dimensions and grey areas that Angela lacked.

Overall I enjoyed the limited series, but it didn't really take a big risk to make a statement ending other than killing the lead of in it's first season. It played it safe with somewhat clichéd ending where the son kills the father because the father told him to.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
VicRav wrote: It would really complete the idea that Dexter really only cares about himself and that even his son wouldn't get in the way of that.
My take on it is that Dexter accomplished his goal. Spoiler: His son literally kills him in cold blood: there is zero self-defense. He taught his son to take out the bad guy: he had just killed an innocent. Dexter fulfills the desire in his letter to Hannah as well.

VicRav wrote: I agree. Angela was portrayed as such a morally good and 'by the book' character that it is really hard to see this decision. I could see original series characters like Batista or Laguerta making this kind of choice, but those characters had dimensions and grey areas that Angela lacked.
They were not very subtle about Angela being Debra.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1361 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
shikotee wrote: It makes zero sense. Who would law enforcement think shot Dexter? Dexter was killed by a gun legally purchased and traceable to the Morgans.
There really isn't a way for Angela to claim she shot him - why would she use a non police issued weapon?
The crime scene (tire tracks, foot prints), would clearly indicate he was there.
All signs would point towards Harrison, and his making a run for it would not make things better for him.
His face is going to plastered everywhere on the suspicion of killing his father.
The only reasonable explanation for Angela doing this is her wanting Harrison to be as far away as possible from her daughter.
I'm not sure we watched the same show. It's noy the most grounded in reality. Plenty of times evidences were dismissed, as long as there was a better story. Harrison stabbed his friend and got away with it easily. The real victim's testimony was completely dismissed. Hell, Angela found out Dexter was the BHB based on evidence that doesn't even exist (BHB didn't used ketamine), and because she met Angel in a chance encounter where he had to name drop Harrison's name so she could connect the dots...

Dexter just killed an officer and escaped from his cell, I'm sure no one would even question how he died. Angela is the chief of police and she is the first one on the crime scene. She can easily tell whatever story she wants.

Keep in mind. No one knows Dexter is there, and is dead. All the police we saw coming towards Iron Lake are the back ups requested by Angela when she found the dead bodies at Kurt's cabin. The rest is left open.

VicRav wrote:
That being said I would have preferred an ending that went down the original showrunner's path and involved Dexter getting arrested and ultimately being put on a table for the death penalty. Especially when they brought in Batista for another scene in the finale. I didn't need more Batista, but the decision to put that scene in made me feel that they should have committed a legal ending for Dexter. If felt like a cheat that Batista gets some potentially game changing information on the BHB and than there is a big rug pull.
This. My prefered ending was him being arrested.

I liked the revival, but I'm not gonna pretend they didn't take shortcuts to get there. I'm just happy I could wash the taste of season 6 and 8 from my mouth, and Michael C Hall is always a joy to watch play Dexter.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
theXshape wrote: I'm not sure we watched the same show. It's noy the most grounded in reality.
I did mention that suspension of disbelief is a must for this series.
I think the Angela thing bugged me more because it happened at endgame, and just felt off.
It felt like it stepped outside of the imaginary boundaries set within the series.

@VicRav

I could not imagine Dexter going after Harrison. I think this series did a good job developing Dexter's feelings for his son, especially his belief that his son was a kindrid spirit. While Dexter mastered the art of hiding his true nature, deep down, what he really longed for was honest companionship. I think this was well executed with the sequences with Deb, who was always trying to protect Harrison from the real Dexter. With everything that happened, Dexter realized he would not be able to push through and start over alone, especially after a taste of real companionship. I easily bought into Dexter's final thoughts of love for his son because of all this.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1278 posts
592 upvotes
Regina, SK
shikotee wrote: I could not imagine Dexter going after Harrison. I think this series did a good job developing Dexter's feelings for his son, especially his belief that his son was a kindrid spirit. While Dexter mastered the art of hiding his true nature, deep down, what he really longed for was honest companionship. I think this was well executed with the sequences with Deb, who was always trying to protect Harrison from the real Dexter. With everything that happened, Dexter realized he would not be able to push through and start over alone, especially after a taste of real companionship. I easily bought into Dexter's final thoughts of love for his son because of all this.
I think the show has always given us glimpses of Dexter's true selfish and sociopath behaviour. His desire for companionship is more selfish and about fulfilling a goal of trying to blend in - it is what normal people do. The Dexter voiceovers always have him questioning what he wants and whether it is real. He frequently puts himself before companionship, this is why he really abandoned Harrison in the first place. Dexter tries to put a noble spin and suggest his actions are for Harrison, but he also rationalizes murdering a lot of people. There is a certain romanticization in shows like this where the lead protagonist is sort of portrayed as an "anti-hero." This why the endings often feel flat when the protangonist really is a bad guy, at least if the viewer comes to that realization.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
A lot to process. MCH was fantastic. I knew it was a wrap when Dexter killed coach. Thank you for a more satisfying ending IMO. Also, I would’ve liked to see Dexter get the death penalty too. All in all I enjoyed the ride.
Last edited by Guest8827364441 on Jan 10th, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
I have been indifferent about this series - the finale didn't change that. Not the highest quality show in terms of writing and details but it's a good time pass I guess.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1459 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
So I'm guessing if there is another season Dexter will be the ghost talking to Harrison?...I hope they just end it there..
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Slapshot747 wrote: So I'm guessing if there is another season Dexter will be the ghost talking to Harrison?...I hope they just end it there..
I'm guessing it doesn't get another season. I don't think that many people are interested in seeing Harrison as the protagonist?

I think it should end where it ended.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
I just finished watching it, and I really liked it. But for the wrong reasons.

I always liked it, always-always-always, even the terrible seasons and episodes, watching it was like a guilty pleasure. So when they made this new season I was not going to complain.

The actor who played Harrison did great, but he cannot be the lead for a new show, nobody would watch that.

Chief of police Angela did barely OK, her acting was always exaggerated and not very convincing at times.

Michael C. Hall characterization as Dexter is the main reason the show works.

I'm OK with the ending, but also, would like the ending to be different. It's a contradiction.

Anyway, I hope they don't make any more!!! Just call it a day