DF: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Initial Analysis - PS4 > Xbox One

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2014 8:29 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
We're going to have to do one of these every time a new games out, aren't we? :(
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Redmask wrote: We're going to have to do one of these every time a new games out, aren't we? :(
I think so, that's a great idea. We need to educate and inform on the disparities between these products, so that people can make better choices.

I'm too altruistic for my own good sometimes!
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Sigh, not what I meant. It's going to be a long generation..
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
TheBatManRising wrote: I think so, that's a great idea. We need to educate and inform on the disparities between these products, so that people can make better choices.

:razz:

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
redmask wrote: we're going to have to do one of these every time a new games out, aren't we? :(
thebatmanrising wrote: i think so, that's a great idea. We need to educate and inform on the disparities between these products, so that people can make better choices.

redmask wrote: sigh, not what i meant. It's going to be a long generation..
lol
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
You betcha we do! I wonder where a certain Xbox fanboy is now. Haven't seen him around these parts after his beloved console of choice got destroyed. (For the record, I own all three systems Xbone, PS4, WiiU). I just find xbox fanboy tears tasty.
Deal Guru
Feb 28, 2006
12987 posts
6520 upvotes
The full face-off by DF http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-face-off

Just as we suspected, PS4 > Xbox One overall. Seems like the Xbox One had to do some cutbacks in order to maintain performance such as rendering some cutscenes at 900p instead of the 1080p.

Some quotes of interest.

Meanwhile the situation is more interesting on the Xbox One: the anti-aliasing solution remains unchanged, but we see the inclusion of what looks like a variable resolution framebuffer in some scenes, while some cut-scenes are rendered at a locked 900p, explaining the additional blur in some of our Xbox One screenshots. Curiously, the drop in resolution doesn't seem to occur during gameplay - it's only reserved for select cinematics - suggesting that keeping performance consistent during these sequences was a priority for Xbox One developer United Front Games.
For the most part the main graphical bells and whistles are lavished equally across both consoles, although intriguingly there are a few areas that do see Xbox One cutbacks. As demonstrated in our head-to-head video below (and in our vast Tomb Raider comparison gallery), alpha-based effects in certain areas give the appearance of rendering at half resolution - though other examples do look much cleaner. We also see a lower-quality depth of field in cut-scenes, and reduced levels of anisotropic filtering on artwork during gameplay. Curiously, there are also a few lower-resolution textures in places on Xbox One, but this seems to be down to a bug (perhaps on level of detail transitions) as opposed to a conscious downgrade.
Another indication that TressFX sucks up considerable console GPU time concerns the sub-native cut-scene resolution downgrade we occasionally see on Xbox One.
Our early look at performance revealed a startling gap between the next-gen platforms, with PS4 commanding a massive frame-rate advantage, while Xbox One even managed to drop below the 30fps mark under load. For the most part, on the PS4 we see frame-rates regularly fluctuating between 40-50fps depending on the complexity of the scene, with exploration in highly detailed areas with lots of effects responsible for the drop in performance. On the flipside, the game manages to hit 60fps pretty solidly in locations that have fewer effects at work, and in the more scripted action sequences where the rendering load is more predictable.

But despite the inconsistency in the PS4 experience, we still feel it's the preferable buy. During combat - a key element in the game - we see the Xbox One drop down to the mid 20s, with the PS4's higher frame-rate offering a clear advantage in both smoothness and response, despite the fluctuations - the bottom line is that the differences between 40-50fps on the PS4 are far less of an issue than, say, the 24-30fps drops incurred by the Xbox One.

That said, when exploring more complex locations filled with heavier effects work, the more consistent frame-rate provided by Xbox One has some advantages - motion has less judder during fast camera pans and more hectic moments, while the controls feel more stable. This is most obvious when the PS4 hovers between the 40-45fps mark, but once we reach metrics closer to 60fps, the inconsistent frame-rate is no longer a problem, and we get a smooth and fluid gameplay experience that the Xbox One simply cannot match. When PS4 operates at the full 60fps, it's a superb experience - but its performance drops are in no way as damaging to the experience as they are on the Microsoft platform.
However, with Xbox One dipping under 30fps - often in scenes where sustained visual feedback and consistent controls are really a must, the Microsoft platform clearly comes up short in comparison to its unlocked rival.
Overall, PlayStation 4 takes the lead where the next-gen consoles are concerned, with the higher quality effects work and higher frame-rates providing a preferable experience overall, particularly during heated combat, where the drops in performance are both felt and seen more heavily on the Xbox One.
But on the flipside, this is a beautiful game - one of the best-looking titles to appear on next-gen - and on the PlayStation 4 in particular, it's a lovely showcase for the capabilities of next-gen hardware.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Not really an issue because you can have both right now.