Shopping Discussion

DHL Brokerage: accurate information

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2019 3:27 pm
Mar 5, 2010
740 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa
Mine was $44.75 in total. Not much of a breakdown for me aside from the label telling me about the $10 processing fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
3224 posts
1908 upvotes
Surrey
yellowcat wrote: Got a package delived from DHL this morning. I had to paid to receive the package. Later I realized the exchange rate is incorrect on DHL invoice.
Seller invoice date for the item on March 5 the paid amount was US$15
According to Bank of Canada exchange rate on March 4/Friday
Noon rate was US$1 = 1.3337 Cad
Closing rate was 1.3324 Cad
So the value for the item for March 5/Saturday should be 1.3324xUS$15 = $19.986 Cad and no duty (under $20 cad) or any DHL processing and transaction fee.
But instead DHL was using the Friday noon rates 1.3337x US$15 = $20.0055 Cad and DHL Charged $2.4 on duty, $11.03 processing fee and $4.46 transaction fee. A total of $17.89.
WHAT A RIP OFF!
i want to know If I can fight this as well. I wasn't home when they asked my parents to pay 18.69 for for 20US item. It is ridiculous they are charging 10.50 for processing fees and 4.25 for transaction fee. I would like to know what are my options.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1855 posts
1107 upvotes
Just wondering about the COD fee, someone mentioned it's possible to avoid that if you pay in advance online. How do you do that? Will DHL contact you regarding tax and duty before they attempt delivery?
Jan 20, 2013
480 posts
269 upvotes
So I just found out Groupon shipped my $200 item with DHL from the US. This was my first time ever using Groupon.

I'm now worried I'll get charged a massive amount on delivery. I was expecting they'd ship their products (especially deals that are for Canadian residents only) FROM WITHIN CANADA.
Oct 14, 2007
96 posts
2 upvotes
Niagara
For anyone curious what the fees are here is an actual DHL invoice. I bought a new head unit for my car from China. It somehow ended up shipping from China to Canada but went through Ohio. The item was worth about $250 USD so I am not sure if shipper declared incorrect value or if customs screwed up their conversion. That's not important really. Just shows you what DHL fees are.
Images
  • 1.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
$14.75 (price went up) for brokerage.
Looks like the item was undervalued at $66 so you were charged 13% so $8.69 for GST/PST/HST.

Not exactly a rip off.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1397 posts
86 upvotes
Is Pearson airport the only Inland Office location in the GTA now? I know there was one at the Oshawa Airport but it looks like they've closed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Any idea how much will be the cost to ship this from monoprice to Ontario?
There is zero info on DHL website

ORDER SUMMARY

Subtotal
$67.96
Tax
$0.00
Shipping
DHL Saver - Canada - $15.84

Thanks
Oct 2, 2007
966 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal
A bit late to the party also but I found this thread in anticipating of my bill from DHL. I was impressed. Ordered around 500$ USD of security camera, asked the seller to put a lower value (~40$ USD) and I got charged 23$ of fees, duties and taxes. I don't have the breakdown yet but I'm assuming:
  • $15 fee
  • Rest is taxes and duties
Oh and it took 3 days from China to Quebec! Faster than Express Post from the West coast to East coast! ;)
May 28, 2006
838 posts
592 upvotes
Here's a bump for you guys

Ordered a cellphone, $450 CAD but used 20% ebay coupon (doesn't affect value of course). from Hong Kong based seller.

Didn't realize it was DHL shipping as I've heard a bunch of duty horror stories. Was prepared to cough up an extra $30-50 at the door, but the guy just asked for a signature and that's it, no duty/fee just signed for it and handed me my phone.

I don't know if phones are special, or if from Asia it is special or what. I did pay $10 for express shipping to the seller in the bay transaction, got here in 3 business days, 5 total including weekend. Went from Hong Kong to the States to Canada.

I can't see any declaired value/form thing like I see on my USPS/Canada Post packages I get from other places, just came in a DHL bag and the box was inside it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Smiley09 wrote: Here's a bump for you guys

Ordered a cellphone, $450 CAD but used 20% ebay coupon (doesn't affect value of course). from Hong Kong based seller.

Didn't realize it was DHL shipping as I've heard a bunch of duty horror stories. Was prepared to cough up an extra $30-50 at the door, but the guy just asked for a signature and that's it, no duty/fee just signed for it and handed me my phone.

I don't know if phones are special, or if from Asia it is special or what. I did pay $10 for express shipping to the seller in the bay transaction, got here in 3 business days, 5 total including weekend. Went from Hong Kong to the States to Canada.

I can't see any declaired value/form thing like I see on my USPS/Canada Post packages I get from other places, just came in a DHL bag and the box was inside it.
What's the declared value on the package?
Jan 1, 2008
6 posts
Toronto
I just bought $7 USD item + $7 USD shipping from USA. It is shipped by DHL. Will I get charged for the processing fee and COD? I know I don't need to pay duty and tax since it is under $20 CAD.

Thanks!