• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 8:50 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes

DHL Scam - What should I do?

bought something from the U.S. and was shocked when i found out its being handled by DHL. it was already mailed and didnt have a chance to tell them to send via USPS. long behold dhl guy comes today and tries to ask me for about $28 on a $34 item LOL

any way to get around this besiddes self clear(not appropriate cus self clear office is all the wya in mississauga by the airport)
19 replies
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
Menthol wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 10:33 pm
So what did tell him at that point?
i refused delivery
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
Off to collections you go.
Some of them phone you every hour from 8 am to 8 pm until you answer.
Jan 12, 2017
555 posts
210 upvotes
You could always just phone them back continuously and see if they'll block your number, lol.
pootza wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 1:20 am
Off to collections you go.
Some of them phone you every hour from 8 am to 8 pm until you answer.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3880 posts
1221 upvotes
markham
when this happened to me..I told them I would refuse..they dropped all charges except HST on $60 item...they originally wanted $38..I said stuff it so then they said pay HST and they delivered
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1964 posts
211 upvotes
I would not have classified this as a scam as you're the one who failed to notify the seller of the shipping request before it was shipped.

What would happen if you have it delivered to a work address or equivalent? If it goes to collections, how would it then affect your credit?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1675 posts
787 upvotes
baymoe wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:49 am
I would not have classified this as a scam as you're the one who failed to notify the seller of the shipping request before it was shipped.

What would happen if you have it delivered to a work address or equivalent? If it goes to collections, how would it then affect your credit?
yep this is the OP's fault and now collections will come after him, should have just paid the $28.

Year ago I had the same situation and refused the package, they came after me so hard for like $30 that i finally paid it... plus the handling fees and fines ect. good luck OP, your $28 will turn into prob closer to $100 and they wont leave you alone until you pay.
Got that Zoomer account!
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7059 posts
1238 upvotes
The only way to avoid this is if you indicated you will handle the brokerage yourself prior to shipping which will have you do the leg and paper work between CBSA and DHL. The brokerage fee is usually the reason I don't use couriers for purchases under $300.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
Guess you have to sack up and pay.

Without knowing what the item was, how do you expect anyone to help? Maybe next time use better protection.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21085 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Ojam wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:04 pm
Guess you have to sack up and pay.

Without knowing what the item was, how do you expect anyone to help? Maybe next time use better protection.
applies to DHL Scams and Child Support
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1337 posts
720 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 12:58 pm
yep this is the OP's fault and now collections will come after him, should have just paid the $28.

Year ago I had the same situation and refused the package, they came after me so hard for like $30 that i finally paid it... plus the handling fees and fines ect. good luck OP, your $28 will turn into prob closer to $100 and they wont leave you alone until you pay.
What happens if you continue to ignore them?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13318 posts
1641 upvotes
Mississauga
Sievert wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:15 pm
What happens if you continue to ignore them?
Nothing.

They can't call you everyday. Send them a request to communicate only over mail. That's it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7643 posts
3804 upvotes
ON
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 12:58 pm

He declined the package , they have no right to collect any money from him unless he accepts the charges and delivery of the package.
I had a package from UK that came with customs fees COD when the shipper specifically said there wouldn't be any. I declined the package and heard nothing more of it. Shipper refunded me the payment.