Fashion & Apparel

Diamond Engagement Ring - best place to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2011 4:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1536 posts
18 upvotes

Diamond Engagement Ring - best place to buy?

Can someone recommend a good place to buy diamond ring? Budget is between 1-2k
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7266 posts
129 upvotes
I'll let others suggest locations, because I will say "Tiffany" and everyone will hate me for saying that. But I know almost every girl would want a Tiffany, even the cheapest Tiffany. A girl once told me "Tiffany is a girl's dream come true".

Given, without knowing your financial situation, it seems like $1000-2000 doesn't seem like enough imo.

The unofficial guideline/rule is 2 months salary equivalent. So I assume you have a job that pays more than that ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1536 posts
18 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:39 am
I'll let others suggest locations, because I will say "Tiffany" and everyone will hate me for saying that. But I know almost every girl would want a Tiffany, even the cheapest Tiffany. A girl once told me "Tiffany is a girl's dream come true".

Given, without knowing your financial situation, it seems like $1000-2000 doesn't seem like enough imo.

The unofficial guideline/rule is 2 months salary equivalent. So I assume you have a job that pays more than that ?

Unfortunately thats all I can afford.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7266 posts
129 upvotes
koleso wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:42 am

Understood. Now it begs the question, are you financially ready for marriage? This is like buying a puppy from a pet store. You don't just pay for the puppy one time and that's it. After you bring it home, food costs, medical costs, time costs.

After proposal, 1 to 1.5 yrs later comes the wedding day. Which costs at least $15k to $20k at the minimum. Then comes the condo or house. At least a downpayment of $50k - $60k if not more.

So, you are proposing in fear your girl is going to leave you? Sounds like you need to save up more before you step any further.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1536 posts
18 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:58 am
Understood. Now it begs the question, are you financially ready for marriage? This is like buying a puppy from a pet store. You don't just pay for the puppy one time and that's it. After you bring it home, food costs, medical costs, time costs.

After proposal, 1 to 1.5 yrs later comes the wedding day. Which costs at least $15k to $20k at the minimum. Then comes the condo or house. At least a downpayment of $50k - $60k if not more.

So, you are proposing in fear your girl is going to leave you? Sounds like you need to save up more before you step any further.

I propose to take a long relationship a step further. I just paid off some of my debts and hopefully will start accumulating some savings for the wedding. Both of are are realistic and I dont think its going to happen for another 1.5 -2 years.

Any idea if Tiffany has anything in my affordable range?
Dec 12, 2007
762 posts
107 upvotes
Personally, I don't like Tiffany. Everyone has that Tiffany bracelet now and has devalued the brand in my eyes, same thing with Coach. Both used to be status brands and now you see them all over. I fell in love with Tacori rings a long time ago, and now have the pleasure and pride to wear a Tacori e-ring and matching band. Ever since I got mine, a few of my friends have requested and successfully joined the prestigious Tacori club. Unfortunately, their e-rings are above your budget without including the center stone.

So for your budget, I would suggest checking bluenile. You'll get a better quality diamond than the crap that Peoples or Mappins sells.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1062 posts
49 upvotes
YUL
with a 1-2K budget, why not do something creative (non-diamond), cubic zirconia, etc.
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
After proposal, 1 to 1.5 yrs later comes the wedding day. Which costs at least $15k to $20k at the minimum.

They could get married at city hall!!!!!!!!

Not everybody has a big wedding.
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
koleso wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:42 am

Did you talk to your parents for a loan?

Prince William, for example, gave his mom's engagement ring to his girlfriend (now wife)

Perhaps your parents have old diamond rings (grandma's ring, etc)
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4109 posts
149 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 10:39 am

This is BS. Not every girl likes or even cares about Tiffany. Lots of girls that do like Tiffany just like it for the brand, which is a bad reason to buy an engagement ring at a place. Tiffany is not good value, especially when you have a small budget. And they have very limited settings to offer.

rfdrfd wrote:

Wy to generalize! A marriage doesn't have to comes with a wedding. The cost can be as minimal as marriage license and the ceremony performed at city hall.

People don't HAVE to own their own property. Lots of people are married and rent until they are in a better position to buy.

KevC wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 4:16 pm
www.goodoldgold.com
www.whiteflash.com
www.briangavindiamonds.com

ask the passionate and knowledgeable ladies at pricescope.com for some good advice!
+1. You will get the best value by buying online. Pricescope will help you find a great ring for your budget.
CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 6:58 pm
with a 1-2K budget, why not do something creative (non-diamond), cubic zirconia, etc.
You should consider this! Not every gal likes diamonds anyway. Does your girl have a favourite gemstone? I've seen beuatiful engagement rings set with stones other than diamonds. You can go to the Pricescope Forum to see lots of examples.
jaxx lite wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 7:53 pm
They could get married at city hall!!!!!!!!

Not everybody has a big wedding.

Exactly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7054 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
I also agree that your best value will be found with a reputable online vendor. There are several out there that are highly recommended. I'd go with one that stocks their own diamonds.

Many are happy with Blue Nile, but it wasn't who we went with because they don't stock their own diamonds. Many of the online vendors (including the one we went with) can get the exact same diamonds listed on Blue Nile if you have your heart set on one of those as Blue Nile just sells from a list available to any diamond broker. Our vendor, and others, even offered to get the Blue Nile diamond for a slightly cheaper price if that is truly the diamond that was wanted - we ended up buying a diamond from our vendor's stock as they had numerous reports on it as well the ability to send us multiple pictures.

Don't worry about guidelines of what you should spend. Spend within your budget.
amz155 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 8:56 pm
This is BS. Not every girl likes or even cares about Tiffany. Lots of girls that do like Tiffany just like it for the brand, which is a bad reason to buy an engagement ring at a place. Tiffany is not good value, especially when you have a small budget. And they have very limited settings to offer.

Agreed. I'm another girl that has no interest whatsoever in Tiffany. Not knocking anyone that is into brand names, but I wouldn't have been happy at all with a ring from there. It would have been a huge excess spent just for 'name' which no one would even know about unless I told them.

We got married when we were a bit older and I was fortunate that my husband had a fairly nice budget for the ring, but I wouldn't have wanted Tiffany as we would have gotten much less for our money, but it is a personal choice...and if the budget had been $1,000 to $2,000 I would have been just as happy as it is the person that you are with that is the really important thing.

Good luck OP making your choice!
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1062 posts
49 upvotes
YUL
sillysimms wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 11:08 pm
Many are happy with Blue Nile, but it wasn't who we went with because they don't stock their own diamonds. Many of the online vendors (including the one we went with) can get the exact same diamonds listed on Blue Nile if you have your heart set on one of those as Blue Nile just sells from a list available to any diamond broker. Our vendor, and others, even offered to get the Blue Nile diamond for a slightly cheaper price if that is truly the diamond that was wanted - we ended up buying a diamond from our vendor's stock as they had numerous reports on it as well the ability to send us multiple pictures.

Don't hold out on us! Where did you end up buying?
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7054 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
CRAZYBUBBA wrote:
Sep 1st, 2011 2:48 pm
Don't hold out on us! Where did you end up buying?

We bought from Diamond Brokers of Florida quite a few years back. If you're looking to buy from an online vendor, I'd look at a few and then make your choice. We were very happy with DBOF and there are others that also come with great recommendations - I've also heard good things about the three already mentioned in this thread as well as James Allen. I'd personally look at all of them rather than Blue Nile.
× < >