• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2014 5:52 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 5, 2009
384 posts
8 upvotes

Diaper change at night

Do you change your baby's diaper at night very often? When she has a full diaper we change, meaning sometimes it's 3 times a night. Our pediatrician said it's too much and disturbs the baby's sleep cycle but how can you leave a baby with a dirty diaper and then put them back to sleep?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
If they are woken up for a feed, then by all means.
Once they start sleeping throughout the night, then just wait until the AM.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
Is the baby waking you because of a dirty diaper? Or are you changing the diaper protectively and waking the baby in the process?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1621 posts
251 upvotes
Newmarket
i used to leave my kids if they were sleeping, and wait until they would wake up for the change

ohhh so happy the diaper days have long been gone
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
We didn't change the diaper unless it was a poop. Poop was causing diaper rash.

You may also want to get a larger sized diaper, more absorbent materials, air, and space - might be more comfortable for the baby.

Also, are you using diaper cream(s)? Those help create a barrier with the skin and will help reduce rashes from sitting in pee/poo too long.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
When my guys were newborns I would only change their diaper if they woke for a feeding AND i could tell they had pooped or the diaper felt heavy (meaning lots of pee). I would just use a cream to help protect against diaper rash.
May 29, 2003
462 posts
49 upvotes
Aurora
Only change poop at night! Your doctor is right, it is disturbing their sleep cycle, keep nighttime feedings dark and calm as well :)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
We used to only do it if we fed her in the middle of the night, ever since she started sleeping through the night we stopped changing her diaper as well. It's fine, she never poops in her sleep, only pees. If she does poop it's in the morning right before her designated wake-up time anyway.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5638 upvotes
If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, wipe it down.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
If the little guy/gal isn't agitated and can continue to sleep I think I'd be more inclined to let him sleep through it, unless he's woken up for a feed then I change it out regardless.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1025 posts
104 upvotes
Maple
Same as above, only change if it was poop. Poop caused diaper rash if left too long. Pee we wouldn't change unless we wanted to purposely wake him up a bit.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
get a better diaper.
unless the diaper is waking her up because of discomfort i would not bother the baby at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
I change while my wife is doing the feed, if it's all heavy the next pee will leak, and there is less fuss when his concentrating on eating
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
I'd say let the baby sleep. Bigger diaper at night or something more absorbent like baby dry diapers. Creams like zincofax work wonders but read the label. We like the extra strength at night as its thicker. Extra strength vs regular strength is something like 40% vs 13% zinc oxide so that's where difference lies between most creams - zinc oxide content.

Anyways we have another one on the way so I'm sure what I learned last year with my daughter won't apply to the newborn lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)