Food & Drink

Did anyone line up for the free July 1 meal at mandarin yesterday?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2009 5:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 27, 2007
316 posts
6 upvotes
GTA

Did anyone line up for the free July 1 meal at mandarin yesterday?

Just curious. Did anyone go to the Woodine Markham location and how long was the wait? Was it a zoo?
79 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
i don't even line up at McDonalds ...but i'm sure it was a zoo :D
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18622 posts
3251 upvotes
GTA West
Some of my cousins went and they showed up at 9 AM, got to eat at 1 PM. Mandarin employees were handing out water to people in line.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3468 posts
882 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2009 7:55 pm
Some of my cousins went and they showed up at 9 AM, got to eat at 1 PM. Mandarin employees were handing out water to people in line.
All of that to save $11.99?
Banned
Jul 11, 2008
826 posts
4 upvotes
I was thinking of going to the Mandarin across from Woodbine mall on queen's plate but decided not to go. Watched the news yesterday and saw 6 cruisers were called to keep the peace. Seems as though everyone thought it was a good idea to rush the door. :twisted:

Nothing says Canada Day like free chinese food :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18622 posts
3251 upvotes
GTA West
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2009 8:26 pm
All of that to save $11.99?
Hey it's their own decision. I spent $8 on a nice strip loin and BBQ'd it to medium-rare perfection on Canada Day! Definitely superior to Mandarin IMO.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1818 posts
998 upvotes
Baseball_Boy wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2009 8:30 pm
I was thinking of going to the Mandarin across from Woodbine mall on queen's plate but decided not to go. Watched the news yesterday and saw 6 cruisers were called to keep the peace. Seems as though everyone thought it was a good idea to rush the door. :twisted:

Nothing says Canada Day like free chinese food :lol:
this was at the queens plate drive location

Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2768 posts
111 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2009 9:13 am
I wonder how many people tipped...
i didn't go but if I did, i would've tipped 50% of the price for that day since Canada Day is a special day.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
MasterXan wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2009 10:15 am
i didn't go but if I did, i would've tipped 50% of the price for that day since Canada Day is a special day.
I look at the pictures and I feel for the staff that day. You have to wonder if James Chiu will continue this promo next year, I heard he was criticized for discriminating against non canadians for asking them to pay or something like that...which is abit silly to me.
May 26, 2009
166 posts
10 upvotes
Good grief! All the more power for those who waited in line for their free meal, but frankly i feel that 4 hours of my time is worth more than $11.99 and trying to enjoy a meal in a chaotic packed restaurant ...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2005
1515 posts
53 upvotes
North York
wolverine07 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2009 10:38 am
I look at the pictures and I feel for the staff that day. You have to wonder if James Chiu will continue this promo next year, I heard he was criticized for discriminating against non canadians for asking them to pay or something like that...which is abit silly to me.
Why was it silly to ask non-Canadian citizens to pay?
It was his promotion and he chose to celebrate Canada Day with free food for Canadians; it's so simple why can't people understand?

This man spent $500 000 and at the end he still gets critisized... unbelievable.
This promotion is not an annual thing... he does it about every 5 years or so.
Ebay: Magoo_416
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
Magoo wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2009 12:13 pm
Why was it silly to ask non-Canadian citizens to pay?
It was his promotion and he chose to celebrate Canada Day with free food for Canadians; it's so simple why can't people understand?

This man spent $500 000 and at the end he still gets critisized... unbelievable.
This promotion is not an annual thing... he does it about every 5 years or so.
You misunderstood me, I thought it was silly that he was critcized by some for charging non citizens. I agree it's his promotion he can do whatever he wants to with it. Actually I am anti human rights commission right now from what I have heard and seen from them lately. I gladly oppose their mandate which under Barbara Hall's leadership is sorely misguided.
Nov 14, 2008
111 posts
5 upvotes
I'm surprised no news channel covered this, well, from what I'm seeing on the net there is no article about this day at Mandarin. Too bad, I guess the $500,000 they spent didn't do much as for advertising except to all the people who lined up for this deal. My friend lined up for this and I believe she got in around 6pm after waiting for about 4 hours or more at the Mississauga location. The line supposedly zig zagged into the parking lot and onto the sidewalk, passed the Burger King on Hurontario St.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)