Shopping Discussion

Did BestBuy.ca change their price matching practice? If so, it stinks...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2014 8:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 22, 2008
702 posts
208 upvotes
Ottawa

Did BestBuy.ca change their price matching practice? If so, it stinks...

So I just did an online order on BestBuy.ca and called in to do a price match as I've done many many times before.

This time, however, the customer service rep asked first off if I had read the T&C's of the pm policy on their web site first before calling. I said 'yes' (I didn't really but again, I've pm'd many times before).

Anyways, the product I was trying to PM was a MS wedge bluetooth keyboard which NCIX has for $59.99 and BB sells for $79.99. While they charge for shipping, they have it in stock at the local store (Nepean) so as it is available locally, this has never been an issue. However, this time they say they can only pm 'apple to apples' so they would insist on charging me the shipping rate.

That's the first difference.

In addition, his system is showing the NCIX price as $69.99 even though the web site clearly shows $59.99. The CSR insists I'm not on the right page yet later states they have a system that collects all the different prices and his 'system' states the web site price is $69.99 even though he isn't actually on the site. I of course double check going to NCIX homepage and doing a search for the product and getting the $59.99 sale price.

There's the second difference. WTF?! They can't go on the web anymore to confirm prices?

So, essentially I told him to just cancel the order which he couldn't do so I'll just return it when it arrives since NCIX is only .5 km away and the only reason I was ordering through BB was for the RZ points.

But seriously... WTF? Will they eventually become like Canada Computers non-existence pm policy (i.e. only if we feel like it?).

Web page:

[IMG]http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/615/8124540106.png[/IMG]
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2001
1201 posts
34 upvotes
Burnaby
They usually try these tricks.

NCIX's price could change, depending on whether you are viewing their "sale" price or their normal price. Or their US price... Print it out, walk into BB/FS, pick up the item, go to the cashier and hope for the best. With a printout you have evidence. I've found that cashiers do PMs easier, less knowledge about the actual product and probably more pressure to keep the line moving. Not always though.

hades
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14136 posts
995 upvotes
kris07 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 5:15 pm
that's the french canadian keyboard.

Here is the correct link I believe, showing for 59.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77591&promoid=1608
I know, but the CSR may have been looking at the wrong one which would explain the price difference. Easy enough mistake to make.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15243 posts
3161 upvotes
Toronto
CSR is dumb. You have to babysit them and guide them to the proper link.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7459 posts
1165 upvotes
If it was really in stock locally (they apparently have an unstated policy of within 30km) id use the linK below and file a false advertising complaint with adstandards.com quoting

"Whether you shop in-store or online, our Lowest Price Guarantee ensures that you get the best price on all Best Buy products.

Before you make a purchase
Should you find a lower price in-store, in print or online from an authorized Canadian dealer we will beat it by 10% of the difference."

I'd then cut and past my complaint into an email to twelp@bestbuycanada.ca and tell them i just filed a complaint with the advertising standards council over it.

Then wait a couple of days for them to jump to fix it (and they do)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9642 posts
14523 upvotes
Scarborough
Whenever I start getting the run around I just hang up and call back. I've only had to do this a few times and usually the next rep will do what I'm asking.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1793 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't bother anymore with BestBuy Online order with Price Matching. I did it one time because me and my brother both needed wireless network cards. They only had one in stock so only one of got it, I figured no problem I will order online and use the same price matching we used in store for the other one.

Ordered the product, priced matched and all was well. Then a few days later I was paying full price again, phoned them up and was "Oh the CSR made a mistake and did not factor in shipping costs". I told them geez they have a local option and I can just drive there so I would not use the shipping option plus you already said it was good.

End result I drove to another best buy store and told them price match this item(what had stock of it) or I will just return it. Walk to over the the shelf and bring you a new one and price match it against this store.

The clerk had no problem with the price matching.

Was the first and last time I did that with Best Buy. At least if you go to the store and price match it, you got it and once you walk out with the product they can't do anything anymore....but online it seems like till they charge your card and you get the product it's all fair game.

I think it is pretty much the last thing I bought from Best Buy as well, don't really want to shop there anymore....as far as I am concerned the $10-$15 they tried to save lost a customer.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2008
702 posts
208 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, I got the BestBuy.ca order delivered today (wow... that was fast) and went to my local BB. I had the pricematch done and credited in about 30 seconds (the clerk was super nice too). I'll chalk it up to a one off and see what happens next time I do a PM online. Oddly enough with the crap sales service at BB, they seem to want to push people to shop online as I was there with a friend tonight to buy a tablet and it took forever to get any assistance. Same experience I've had the last few times. Almost not even worth going into the store... But that would be the subject of another rant :-)