Automotive

Did I get ripped off? Mount and balance new tires?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2016 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 22, 2006
20 posts
1 upvote

Did I get ripped off? Mount and balance new tires?

I had to mount and balance 4 new tires for my Nissan Maxima. I had purchased the tires myself and brought them to Active Green & Ross in North York. Total charge was about $120 to mount and balance 4 tires on 16" rims.

Is this a typical charge or did I get ripped off?

Can anyone recommend a tire shop in the North York area that will mount my new tires? I also have a set of 18" tires that need to be switched.

Thanks!
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Yea, you got ripped off, just search tires in here. Many don't recommend active green. Cheapest is like $15/tire I think for mount + balance. I did it in scarborough though. Look through all the tires thread and you're bound to find something in north york.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2205 posts
242 upvotes
i had 17s unmounted/new ones mounted/balanced/installed @ steelcase for i think it was $60.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
If you bring in your own tires then chances are you are getting charged shop labour rates plus parts (weights, cleaning materials etc).
It probably took over an hour to remove from the car, remove the old tires from the rims, clean the rims, install the new tires, balance and, re-install on the car? So, at 70 - 90 dollars per shop hour, well you can see how it can add up.
Before the righteous jump all over, there is no need fore the shop to do it 1/2 hour like some will say and yes, after you pay there will always be some wise guy who says you got ripped off and will find a cheaper rate. You got an hour or so worth of work for an hour or so rate of pay.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
cdn tire charges 15 dollars, crappy tire can not screw this up lol
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1387 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
Engi-Nir wrote: cdn tire charges 15 dollars, crappy tire can not screw this up lol
oh, yes they can.
Wasn't there a thread that someone's wheel fell off right after he/she got out of a Canadian tire?
Sep 11, 2005
759 posts
49 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote: cdn tire charges 15 dollars, crappy tire can not screw this up lol
I would NEVER take my wheels to CT, heck, besides a safety and etest, I would never take my car there. Except stranded in an emergency.

Anyways,

They can screw it up, damage the wheels, not properly balance, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
jl001 wrote: oh, yes they can.
Wasn't there a thread that someone's wheel fell off right after he/she got out of a Canadian tire?
lol..well in that case, I take my comment back.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
$120! you got ripped man. Most places charge like $50-80. You can take it to Walmart and get them mounted and balance for less than $80. Cheapest I found for all 4 tires was $50 but it's in Brampton.
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
589 posts
14 upvotes
I did my winter tires allways at:

Green Bay Tire
60 Green Lane
Thornhill, ON L3T 7P5, Canada
(905) 881-4325

To put tires on rims and balance they charge 8$ per tire, so that is 32$ per set.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Yea mount + balance doesn't take an hour, unless they're really slow. Mine took 30 minutes and the guys kept chatting and joking around every so often. This including removing the rims from the old tire and installing them to the new ones.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
I got charged $114 to install my rims on 18's. Biggest BS ever; they said it was higher because my tires were thin profile or some excuse like that. I didn't mind originally but the 16 year old idiots at Fountain Tire ended up my mounting my staggered tires on backward and scratched one of my rims...

Oh no my 1k RFD post; is on tires...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3917 posts
2186 upvotes
Toronto
vim wrote: I did my winter tires allways at:

Green Bay Tire
60 Green Lane
(905) 881-4325

To put tires on rims and balance they charge 8$ per tire, so that is 32$ per set.
Actually, this place is a little tricky...They charge according to type of car you drive and the kind of rims (e.g. steelies and alloy rims) they have to work on...

.eT
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2002
1119 posts
168 upvotes
Waterloo
If you have a Costco membership, it's like 10 or 15 bucks a tire and they use nitrogen.

But yeah $120 bucks is way too much. I called Midas before and asked how much they charge to mount and balance 4 tires and they also said $120.
Sep 22, 2006
20 posts
1 upvote
Ironballz wrote: If you have a Costco membership, it's like 10 or 15 bucks a tire and they use nitrogen.

But yeah $120 bucks is way too much. I called Midas before and asked how much they charge to mount and balance 4 tires and they also said $120.
I have a Costco Membership but was under the impression that they only do the tires if purchased from them?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Green Bay Tire
60 Green Lane
(905) 881-4325

*jaw drops* you're lying? :O I'll pay them in cash I'm assuming?
--
I like detailing cars!
Jun 4, 2005
877 posts
426 upvotes
Go to 2nd Round Time Tires

I went to the one at Progress and Kennedy. They also have a place in North York. $60 tax in for 4 low profiles.

I went to CT and Walmart they couldn't do my tires.
Sep 22, 2006
20 posts
1 upvote
SkylineR34X wrote: Go to 2nd Round Time Tires

I went to the one at Progress and Kennedy. They also have a place in North York. $60 tax in for 4 low profiles.

Were you happy with the service? I am mostly concerned about inexperienced tech's scratching my rims.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SkylineR34X wrote: Go to 2nd Round Time Tires

Green Bay Tire
60 Green Lane
(905) 881-4325

....if that's actually what it costs. I will go there. I live in Woodbridge, so this may be of actual value to me.

But then again, I've already mounted my winters, I need to mount my summers/all seasons on my other wheels but I'll probably ask Mike in Niagara when I save 50% buying tires in the US :)
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2205 posts
242 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: I got charged $114 to install my rims on 18's. Biggest BS ever; they said it was higher because my tires were thin profile or some excuse like that. I didn't mind originally but the 16 year old idiots at Fountain Tire ended up my mounting my staggered tires on backward and scratched one of my rims...

Oh no my 1k RFD post; is on tires...
when i buoght my tires in the states, i tried to get em installed down there, i went to 4 shops n one shop gave me the speech about how my tires are low profile and that it was more work and it would take longer and it would cost more... so i just brought it back to TO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)