Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto

DID I just get scammed?!

So I was trying to buy cn tower tickets and went on this website

http://www.groupbuy-ca.com/home/34-towe ... kypod.html

Everything looked legit but every credit card I entered kept declining then I decide to call the customer service number , it rang then a machine came on asking age and if you own or rent, or want to change auto insurance then the line hangs up. Can I report them to the police this is definitely some kind of scam to get credit card numbers
25 replies
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
It sounds like you did.

Call your credit card company.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
fremmy wrote: It sounds like you did.

Call your credit card company.
Yep already cancelled my cards . This site Looks so legit too smh
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7965 posts
9085 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah... scam website

Take a look at a previous thread: scam-alert-www-bigteamdeals-com-1917055/

If you click on the suspicious website on that thread, you will be redirected to the one on this thread

BEWARE PEOPLE.... If it's too good to be true, then it probably is
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21683 posts
8957 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote: then I decide to call the customer service number , it rang then a machine came on asking age and if you own or rent, or want to change auto insurance then the line hangs up. Can I report them to the police this is definitely some kind of scam to get credit card numbers
You might want to change your phone number too. They now know your age is either over or under 55, you either want cheaper insurance or you don't and that you either rent or own a home.
I'm guessing bots will start calling you soon trying to sell you something you said yes to, or even no to on that automated line...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Heavenleigh85 wrote: So I was trying to buy cn tower tickets and went on this website

Everything looked legit but every credit card I entered kept declining then I decide to call the customer service number , it rang then a machine came on asking age and if you own or rent, or want to change auto insurance then the line hangs up. Can I report them to the police this is definitely some kind of scam to get credit card numbers
CityPass is the best deal, point blank. Dont know if they have group packages. You can call them.
https://www.citypass.com/toronto

See 5 attractions within 9 days for $86. Cant beat it. CN Tower and Ripleys are right beside each so you hit 2 birds with 1 stone, same day.

1. CN Tower
2. Casa Loma
3. Royal Ontario Museum
4. Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
5. Toronto Zoo OR Ontario Science Centre

Read more at https://www.citypass.com/toronto
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: You might want to change your phone number too. They now know your age is either over or under 55, you either want cheaper insurance or you don't and that you either rent or own a home.
I'm guessing bots will start calling you soon trying to sell you something you said yes to, or even no to on that automated line...
Fml
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26166 posts
39569 upvotes
Toronto
CN Tower is free admission all the time for people that work/volunteer in tourism (hotels, attractions, etc)
Last edited by sprung on Dec 22nd, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: CityPass is the best deal, point blank. Dont know if they have group packages. You can call them.
https://www.citypass.com/toronto

See 5 attractions within 9 days for $86. Cant beat it. CN Tower and Ripleys are right beside each so you hit 2 birds with 1 stone, same day.

1. CN Tower
2. Casa Loma
3. Royal Ontario Museum
4. Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
5. Toronto Zoo OR Ontario Science Centre

Read more at https://www.citypass.com/toronto
Only interested in the cn tower
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4909 posts
3829 upvotes
Edmonton
Heavenleigh85 wrote: So I was trying to buy cn tower tickets and went on this website

Went through the process with a phony number and saw this:
You won't get charge at this point.
A red flag - spelling error!

What about this one?
Opps! your transaction was declined.
Opps? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Google Street View:

2132-2100 Bishop St Montreal
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto

Website address was telling.

No dashes lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote: Website address was telling.

No dashes lol
What do you mean? This also is crazy to me that google has this as a top ranking website when you look up discount CN Tower tickets how can I report this ?!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote: What do you mean? This also is crazy to me that google has this as a top ranking website when you look up discount CN Tower tickets how can I report this ?!
Scam websites have very similar URLs to what we think is the right thing. Just the fact that there's a dash is a huge redflag, at least to me.

Report it to the CN tower, they may pursue removing the site. Also if the site is portraying anyone else, like Groupon, BuyTopia, etc, tell them too.

You generally cannot search for deals and then buy into it without being familiar with the company.
I can't just search ROM Discount and purchase tickets from some third party site. That's exactly what they want you to do.

There are third party deals out there (some have mentioned in this thread) but that's not one of them.

I think you can report it to your credit card company as fraud, as well as Google. If there's enough reports, it will likely be removed.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Apr 20, 2011
422 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
If you are doing an online transaction and the website doesn't show security certificate, then just ditch that site and move on. No matter how good a deal is.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9290 posts
3150 upvotes
Mississauga
Heavenleigh85 wrote: What do you mean? This also is crazy to me that google has this as a top ranking website when you look up discount CN Tower tickets how can I report this ?!
They aren't top ranking. Thats an ad (Google adword) the scam site paid for. It places them at the top of the page.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 12, 2008
477 posts
283 upvotes
Pretty sure your credit card company has a list in their system where they block payment automatically. I had a incident where I was trying to purchase some goods online and payment never went through even though it said paid on their website
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Disciplinz wrote: Pretty sure your credit card company has a list in their system where they block payment automatically. I had a incident where I was trying to purchase some goods online and payment never went through even though it said paid on their website
Yea if your bank is on the ball but I wouldn’t count on it in most situations it’s a case where you will have to dispute the charge.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5424 posts
5281 upvotes
GTA
You just paid for 50 CN Tower tickets for Nigerian prince and half of his village. Good job OP!!! There is a big celebration going on in that village right now. Too bad you were not invited. Oops, someone in Ukraine just bought 55" inch tv with your credit card. What a Holiday for those folks :-) Don't cancel your cards, make the wish come true.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: If you are doing an online transaction and the website doesn't show security certificate, then just ditch that site and move on. No matter how good a deal is.
If scammers can fake company logos and URL's, what makes you think they can't fake a green lock security certificate?
Dec 28, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
The following domains are all operating the same SCAM stay away from all sites below. 110% Scam!!!!!!

groupbuy-ca.com
redgreatdeals.com
thereddeals.com
wagjaygroupdeals.com
reddeals-japan.com
thenextdeals.com
gogroupdeals.com
groupdeals-uk.com

RECENT UPDATE
GroupBuyUK.com
paylessgroupbuy.com
couponapt.com
dotgroupbuy.com
bigteamdeals.com

If you entered any personal details on this site with your credit card number call and cancel the card immediately!! Don't wait another second.
Also if you "created and account" and not used guest, make sure you didn't use the same email address/password for this account that gets you access to your email. They will try you password to get into your email..

Lastly help others by reporting the site below. That 1 minute may help thousands of others from being duped!

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebro ... ort_phish/ <---- most important
https://www.us-cert.gov/report-phishing <------ If you have time report here as well

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)