Students

Did I land a useless Co-op job?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 11:06 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
2 posts

Did I land a useless Co-op job?

Hi! I am currently learning programming at a college and leaning towards being a full stack developer. I wanted to get a web developer job for my first co-op, but unfortunately I was unable to land one. Instead, I got a Technical Systems Analyst job at a large bank where I work on software deployment, version control, and the mainframe (JCL). Honestly, I am not sure whether I am wasting my time here or not. What is your opinion?
7 replies
Aug 15, 2015
483 posts
72 upvotes
Markham, ON
You have to start somewhere.
There are existing problems requiring people to attend to and eventually, hopefully, solve. Gain some skills outside of what you want to do and see why your job exist in the first place. You don't know who might be suffering from someone bad performance. I hope this make sense. I am sorry I am on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1086 posts
547 upvotes
That's actually a very good job relative to the poor opportunities and glut that's in the full stack space. You can do web development at home in your spare time, but having big bank experience in the sort of IT environment they run is quite valuable.

Tons of people would kill for the sort of opportunity you have these days given how bad job opportunities are in the IT field in Canada.
Dec 28, 2009
716 posts
87 upvotes
I had a similar experience where my first job I was asking the same questions. But what I realized was that you only get what you want out of it. So make the best of the situation and try to learn as many different things as you can. Don't worry if it's useful or not, emphasize on the process.
Jul 9, 2015
80 posts
30 upvotes
You'd be surprised at how few people get to do "exactly what they want" early on.

The good thing in your case is that you know what you actually want to do, and you can still get there. Banks are huge and you can network quite easily to learn about the different groups, esp the ones that require developers.

From there, it shouldn't be difficult to do your next coop term in that area.
Aug 26, 2011
216 posts
43 upvotes
Get to know people in the company who are doing what you want to do, and get in contact with them.
May 10, 2006
453 posts
50 upvotes
YYC
I don't believe that there are any "useless" jobs out there. Even experience at McDonalds is better than no experience.

As others have mentioned already, your job description isn't the limiting factor, you are. It is up to you to get the most out of your co-op. You can always ask for more to do, or things to learn if you have completed your task at hand. If there is no one mentoring you then try and poke around the system a bit (safely) on your own. Maybe learn to use the software that you are deploying...stuff like that.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
2 posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I have been doing exactly what you guys have been suggesting and I actually got myself to work with the Java application development team. I really appreciate the support.