Careers

Did I shoot myself in the foot by following up ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2017 2:36 am
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor

Did I shoot myself in the foot by following up ?

Hi All,

I applied to a job in a rather unique position. I have a friend in the company who put in a good word about me to the hiring director who sent my resume to HR ( I also applied formally as this is a HR requirement).

The problem is, HR for some reason decided not to even call me for a phone screen and sent other candidates to the director who were not selected, even though the director wanted to meet me. After this, my friend (who is himself a manager) went to the recruiter and asked what happened. He advised me to call the recruiter and ask her about my status. He also told the recruiter to expect my call, and this recruiter agreed to answer my call.

So, as it happened, I called that day and got through to voicemail, and I left two messages - none of which were answered. I called one more time but didn't leave any messages.

The next day, my friend advised me to email the recruiter to follow up. So I wrote a polite email apologizing for any bother and asked if I could get a status update. I also expressed my interest in an interview. As expected, I didn't get an answer. Today, I learned that the director had told my friend to tell me to not follow up with HR as I was beginning to irritate them. I guess I can understand why though...

My question is, while I know I probably annoyed the recruiter, does it mean she chucked my application in the bin ? Or can this blow over if I stop following up and give them time to do whatever it is they are doing (assuming I am even being considered) ?
Last edited by Martin_11 on Apr 13th, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17511 posts
5444 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like HR is not interested in your application and the director seems pissed off now too.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12637 posts
5775 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The problem didn't originate with HR... it originated with the director. HR won't just decide who to screen out without direction from the hiring manager in the first place... in this case, the director. The director told your friend all that stuff because he didn't want to seem rude and wanted your friend to continue to be a productive employee. So, the director decided to let HR be the 'bad guy' in this situation. After all, the director could have EASILY told HR to fast track your application but instead you found nothing but road blocks.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
Thanks craftsman. It may be true, but then why would he send my resume to HR twice ? Also, when I wasn't included in the first round of interviews, this same director also asked my friend about me, and sent my resume to HR again. I don't think it looks like the director is the problem.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17511 posts
5444 upvotes
Toronto
Martin_11 wrote: Thanks craftsman. It may be true, but then why would he send my resume to HR twice ? Also, when I wasn't included in the first round of interviews, this same director also asked my friend about me, and sent my resume to HR again. I don't think it looks like the director is the problem.
Looks like your "friend" is the problem. I find it hard to believe that the Director would send your resume to HR, it's usually the other way around. The Director should have just called you directly and advised HR to interview you. Sounds like they are not interested in your application.
Last edited by carmaster on Apr 13th, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 2, 2013
5306 posts
1178 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
They probably just were not interested. Following up is usually a good thing and shows incentive.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT -
In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4830 posts
998 upvotes
London
FirstGear wrote: They probably just were not interested. Following up is usually a good thing and shows incentive.
Multiple phone calls, 2 voice messages and an email in a short period of time seems excessive though. I could see why they would get annoyed.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2940 posts
2292 upvotes
It is difficult to say what happened with any certainty without knowing the name of the company. A large company with a strong HR compliment may have policies that prevent nepotism and preferential treatment. Having a "good word" put in for you may be viewed as preferential treatment.

Another possibility is that HR reviewed your application and generally felt that there were more qualified candidates who had applied and decided to disregard your application.

The other possibility is that your friend who put in a good word for you with the director actually crossed a line with this director and the director decided to do nothing about it and simply ignore it. Your friend following up on it is a no-no as he/she is just not getting it.

And it might not have anything to do with this at all. One thing is certain - you have been told that you have annoyed them by contacting them so much. That is never a good thing. My suggestion is to move on. No one will want to hire someone that they find annoying.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2012
1852 posts
281 upvotes
Canada
Way too aggressive if they liked you , they would pursue your candidacy.
Banned
User avatar
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
Nah he's still got some room

I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8130 posts
2388 upvotes
Martin_11 wrote: Hi All,

I applied to a job in a rather unique position. I have a friend in the company who put in a good word about me to the hiring director who sent my resume to HR ( I also applied formally as this is a HR requirement).

The problem is, HR for some reason decided not to even call me for a phone screen and sent other candidates to the director who were not selected, even though the director wanted to meet me. After this, my friend (who is himself a manager) went to the recruiter and asked what happened. He advised me to call the recruiter and ask her about my status. He also told the recruiter to expect my call, and this recruiter agreed to answer my call.

So, as it happened, I called that day and got through to voicemail, and I left two messages - none of which were answered. I called one more time but didn't leave any messages.

The next day, my friend advised me to email the recruiter to follow up. So I wrote a polite email apologizing for any bother and asked if I could get a status update. I also expressed my interest in an interview. As expected, I didn't get an answer. Today, I learned that the director had told my friend to tell me to not follow up with HR as I was beginning to irritate them. I guess I can understand why though...

My question is, while I know I probably annoyed the recruiter, does it mean she chucked my application in the bin ? Or can this blow over if I stop following up and give them time to do whatever it is they are doing (assuming I am even being considered) ?
If the Director wanted to meet with you he would have called you
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
4833 posts
1938 upvotes
Why would you leave 2 voice messages in the same day? That looks bad.

In addition, I would not be surprised if for some reason you just didn't have what they wanted.

At that point, the company wants to say no to you in a soft manner, hoping you get the drift.

Rarely will a company contact you and tell you all the reasons why they rejected you. It also doesn't matter, they didn't choose you, time to move on.

Maybe it's the Director, maybe it's the HR gatekeeper, maybe it's you. You will rarely hear the truth, so don't fret, move on.

Keep looking forward.

Next time you are in a similar situation, give HR a few days after the first voice mail and then follow up.

If they didn't respond to the second response, just move on. Sure it would be awesome to work with your friend .... but it's not always meant to be.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1864 upvotes
Ontario
Dude, she's just not that into you! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 2, 2013
5306 posts
1178 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
spham wrote: Multiple phone calls, 2 voice messages and an email in a short period of time seems excessive though. I could see why they would get annoyed.
That's true, but if OP is really a valuable asset (that is, he/she would make the company more money), it wouldn't matter... You run into some very odd characters in some fields you wonder how they exist, lol.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT -
In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2012
1852 posts
281 upvotes
Canada
ive been to over 10 interviews since february

only 2 sent the standard rejection emails

the rest just don't call back

if you dont hear from an employer after 2 days from initial interview

consider yourself out of the running

no need to call and find out, you got your answer

by the silence of the phone

Same goes when applying for a job

If they're interested in your resume

You will be contacted within 3 days no later

always a stronger better candidate out there

you just have to be number 1 next time
Last edited by bluenose2 on Apr 15th, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top