• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2006 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
8 posts

Did I short my mobo?

Backstory: Left my computer off for a week while I was away, came back with some ram, and installed it (made sure i took precautions to prevent a static discharge; also, i've installed ram about a dozen times).

After I installed it, i made all the connections again, and hit the switch.
All the fans, lights on the keyboard, harddrive started spinning up, but both the monitors (dual setup) were blank. The samsung monitor said "no signal".
I thought maybe i had shorted the video card, so i removed it and tested the onboard, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions as to what i can try next? There are no telltale error beeps either suggesting the bios recognizes the video card, and the onboard
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
First step is to clear the cmos (instructions are in manual).

2nd step if 1st didnt work is to plug 1 stick of ram at a time to see if it is 1 stick of ram that is the problem.

There may also be a key to hold down on keyboard to force it into bios configuration made (look in manual of mobo)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2005
3302 posts
2 upvotes
Do the lights and fans stay on or do they just turn on for a second and then stop?

The second case is indicative of a PSU problem. Try turning off power to the PSU for a minute, then turning it back on and seeing if it will turn on.
× < >