Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Did not file initial return within 60 days ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 8:42 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2018
3 posts

Did not file initial return within 60 days ?

• Corporation is Federal with extra provincial registration in Ontario. Initial return within 60 days is not filed.
  • Can I file it now ? What are the consequences of filing it late ?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4960 posts
1693 upvotes
You could call the Canada Revenue Agency and ask them because the dollar impact of penalties to you may depend on your individual circumstances? My experience is that they are inflexible on the rules but they do have a process for writing in to ask for consideration if you will be assessed penalties and/or interest if you have a really compelling reason for why you should be exempted. For me, I have always just eaten the penalties and chalked it up to learning for next time. I have myself in a routine now and diarize all important dates ahead of time.
Feb 4, 2019
23 posts
11 upvotes
If you incorporated yourself via Corporations Canada and selected the extra-provincial registration in Ontario at the time, it would have already completed the initial return for you.

This form is unrelated to the Canada Revenue Agency, by the way. It is submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Gov't and Consumer Services/ServiceOntario.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2018
3 posts
@przmCA

1. I do not think they did an initial return for Ontario. Can I do it now (and use the same form to change my corporation address too ) ?

2. Do I have to do anything for Federal when I change my corporation address ?
Feb 4, 2019
23 posts
11 upvotes
cpphey wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 3:37 pm
@przmCA

1. I do not think they did an initial return for Ontario. Can I do it now (and use the same form to change my corporation address too ) ?

2. Do I have to do anything for Federal when I change my corporation address ?
1. I wouldn't be too concerned about the initial return and I'd simply complete the form with the new address information.

2. Yes. You can update your corporation's address online on the Corporations Canada website.